Author Topic: First capsule to enter space twice  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Hoonte

• Regular
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 6
First capsule to enter space twice
« on: 04/23/2014 03:42 PM »
It appears that a Soviet capsule was the first to go to space twice. I allways thought it was Gemini.

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/2014/03/31/soviet-space-capsule-on-lempertz-block/

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10849
  • Likes Given: 321
Re: First capsule to enter space twice
« Reply #1 on: 04/23/2014 03:52 PM »
It appears that a Soviet capsule was the first to go to space twice. I allways thought it was Gemini.

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/2014/03/31/soviet-space-capsule-on-lempertz-block/

How could the 1970's be earlier than the 1960's?

Offline gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 04/23/2014 04:05 PM »
I suppose the Soviets could have re-used capsules from the Zenit reconnaissance programme in the early sixties,but I've no idea if they actually did.

Offline Hoonte

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: 04/23/2014 06:19 PM »

How could the 1970's be earlier than the 1960's?

My point excatly

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: 04/24/2014 04:23 AM »
According to old discussion on this forum http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=20231.0, both flight of Gemini (with the same spacecraft) on January 19, 1965 and on November 3, 1966 were SUBORBITAL. ;)
Thank you, Phillip Clark!
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Hoonte

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: 04/24/2014 05:13 AM »
That does not change the boundries of space

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 331
  • Likes Given: 838
« Reply #6 on: 04/24/2014 05:46 AM »
If we restrict the discussion to the first spacecraft to enter orbit twice then the answer is that we do not know.   We do know from Soviet statements in the late 1980s that the spherical re-entry modules from the Zenit-class photoreconnaissance satellites were routinely flown at least three times, but we don't know how early this practice started.   It was certainly happening in the early 1970s, so pre-dates the multiple flights of some of the TKS descent modules.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Hoonte

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: 04/24/2014 06:50 AM »
If we restrict the discussion to the first spacecraft to enter orbit twice then the answer is that we do not know.

Another good reason to keep discussions on known facts :-)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1112
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #8 on: 04/27/2014 05:49 AM »
It is worth noting that in Phil Pressel's KH-9 book "Meeting the Challenge" it is mentioned that the four film take up assemblies (TUA) on the KH-9 were refurbished and re flown after recovery. That would be early 1970's. It makes one wonder if similar reuse occurred with the earlier CORONA and GAMBIT programs. CORONA film take up assemblies could be the earliest re flight of flown hardware. If refurbishment and re flight occured.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 331
  • Likes Given: 838
« Reply #9 on: 04/27/2014 03:21 PM »
So, the conclusion is that the first spacecraft to enter orbit twice was probably hidden within either the US or Soviet photoreconnaissance programme, but we cannot identify specifically which satellite it was.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline B. Hendrickx

• Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: 04/27/2014 08:45 PM »
I can add that re-usability of Vostok-type capsules was being considered very early. The book "S.P. Korolyov i ego delo" contains a document approved by Korolyov on 16 August 1961 that discusses the post-flight inspection of Gherman Titov's Vostok-2 capsule. The conclusion was the following :

"Based on the external inspection of the Vostok and taking into account the results of earlier missions, it can be concluded that after the necessary repair work the descent modules of Vostok can be used for repeated launches with scientific equipment".

So the idea apparently was that used Vostok descent modules could be repaired to the extent that they were reliable enough to fly unmanned missions. The same would of course apply to Zenit.

Tags: