Author Topic: The TürkmenÄlem 52E's first time and legless Party Thread  (Read 85942 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Best one - because it's simply and accurate - and not least because it didn't use "Turkey" (a different country) as part of the title, like MANY others did! ;)

Probably the last specific party thread, as the frequency of launches means we'd end up with too many of these diluting the section menu - so make the most of it! Probably will set up a master party thread for several missions at some point, so same mitigation of keeping the main threads solid.

Decision not set in stone. We're a community and the majority wishes always win! Just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: 04/23/2015 05:17 pm by Lar »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
not least because it didn't use "Turkey" (a different country) as part of the title, like MANY others did! ;)

Is it against the rules to post about 10 facepalm gifs in a row in response to that? Even in a party thread? :P

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
Love the title!!

Probably the last specific party thread, as the frequency of launches means we'd end up with too many of these diluting the section menu - so make the most of it! Probably will set up a master party thread for several missions at some point, so same mitigation of keeping the main threads solid.

Decision not set in stone. We're a community and the majority wishes always win! Just thinking out loud.

Hrmmm!
Is it still a party without a specific thread title? I don't see why not. Plus, with the hopefully-accelerated launch tempos, it's solve the issue of having multiple party threads active. :)

But the key issue is, will there still be lunch?  :D
« Last Edit: 03/03/2015 01:23 am by CJ »

Offline Chris Bergin

I can't find the photo of the SpaceX cafe, which has ruined my funny response to that. Boooooooooooo! ;)
« Last Edit: 03/03/2015 01:35 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

I'm sure the Chinese won't come to this one.  ;)

(see the first posts of the discussion thread to see why)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540

I can't find the photo of the SpaceX cafe, which has ruined my funny response to that. Boooooooooooo! ;)

You mean this one, with a Dragon in the background? :)

The cafe is called "The Lunchpad".  :)

Then there's one Derach posted a while back, of the Kennedy Space Center cafe.

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
So we may finally have a death to the individualized party thread. When you are a young rocket company with tons of ambitions and dreams you get all excited about each individual party. Now 21 launches in and old enough to drink legally (United States) partying is more mature. Less body shots for just launching reasonably and more sipping expensive drinks speaking of a revolutionary future. I like it.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
Not complaining, but whose idea was a legless turkey launch? The legs are the best part of a turkey.

On the topic of combined party threads, I like it.  More material to work with in coming up with names.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
Well I hope we'll have individual party thread for FH demo and Dragon V2 test flight, there're some unique missions that deserve their own party.

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 33
While I appreciate the party threads, I have missed the Launch Viewing threads as a separate entity.

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
Re: The TürkmenÄlem 52E's first time and legless Party Thread
« Reply #10 on: 03/03/2015 09:05 am »
I personally think that while there should be master party thread, there should be separate party threads for things that deserve special mention.

Like, say, first launch using stage that was already launched once...
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #11 on: 03/03/2015 10:02 am »
I agree with having just one big party thread in the missions section. When one grows too big, lock it down and start a new one.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
« Reply #12 on: 03/03/2015 10:19 am »
I suggest keeping individual launch party threads, but only create them 3 days before static fire and close it 48 hrs after successful launch.
If that were adopted, this thread I'm posting on wouldn't be created for at least a week.
This helps reduce cluttering, but keeps one party thread per launch.
I prefer one party thread per launch.
The idea is to limit party threads to about 2 weeks assuming no major scrubs / static fire problems.

Edit... Maybe stretch data open date to 1 week before the static fire, if there isn't another party thread open already. But what's the point of having a party thread 3-4 weeks before a launch ?
« Last Edit: 03/03/2015 12:49 pm by macpacheco »
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #13 on: 03/03/2015 11:16 am »

I love the idea of an endless party, but the party names are a gem on its own. If you end up doing the Never Ending Party Thread you have to make a thread with a name for each mission. It has become quite an art.

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #14 on: 03/03/2015 11:18 am »
I suggest keeping individual launch party threads, but only create them 3 days before static fire and close it 48 hrs after successful launch.
If that were adopted, this thread I'm posting on wouldn't be created for at least a week.
This helps reduce cluttering, but keeps one party thread per launch.
I prefer one party thread per launch.
The idea is to limit party threads to about 2 weeks assuming no major scrubs / static fire problems.

This!  Although it would be far less work just to have a master party thread, It wouldn't be as good: dunno about everyone else, but half the reason I read/post is because each thread has been themed for an occasion.

What you need is a party thread bouncer who will lock threads without mercy or humour.  Who will look you in the eye and make you think twice about posting that rocket-related pun.  Who will tell you that the NET has been moved and so there is no party thread tonight.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #15 on: 03/03/2015 06:09 pm »

cant make a sub-section for them?
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #16 on: 03/03/2015 06:28 pm »
Perhaps use a single party thread for each mission type. One thread for all CRS-Dragon launches would clear up space.  Also perhaps use the same thread for scrubs rather than creating seperate entries for 2nd/3rd attempts. I also agree that the clever names people come up with are enjoyable and would be missed. But whatever decision is best for the site should be the route taken.
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #17 on: 03/03/2015 06:39 pm »

I vote for this option.

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #18 on: 03/03/2015 07:25 pm »
There could always be a party thread section under General. That way they don't get in the way of everything else and they need not be specific to spacex. Then Chris could appoint party associates to mod just that section so it does not eat up his valuable time.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #19 on: 03/03/2015 09:09 pm »
Chris has tried pay threads for other lv's, they never seen tio attract a crowd.

Guess that says something about SpaceX fans ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography