Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-12 : Aug 14, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 122604 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
[Janes] US Army expects to soon trial Kestrel Eye electro-optical micro satellites
“The Kestrel Eye is due to launch from Cape Canaveral very soon as part of the International Space Station cargo resupply mission,” according to Lieutenant General James Dickinson, head of US Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command (SMDC/ARSTRAT).

This doesn't explicitly say CRS-12.  Does anyone know for sure if this will be on CRS-12 or CRS-13?
Skyrocket has had it listed on CRS-12.
Source: http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/kestrel-eye.htm

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
[Janes] US Army expects to soon trial Kestrel Eye electro-optical micro satellites
“The Kestrel Eye is due to launch from Cape Canaveral very soon as part of the International Space Station cargo resupply mission,” according to Lieutenant General James Dickinson, head of US Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command (SMDC/ARSTRAT).

This doesn't explicitly say CRS-12.  Does anyone know for sure if this will be on CRS-12 or CRS-13?
Skyrocket has had it listed on CRS-12.
Source: http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/kestrel-eye.htm
Skyrocket says
The first Kestrel Eye satellite will be launched as a secondary payload on a Falcon-9 v1.2 launch to the ISS
Will it be released from the second stage after Dragon separates, or will it be carried in the trunk and if so, released before of after the CRS-12 stay at the ISS?
The first of those three options seems most probable, but that's just a guess.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Skyrocket says
The first Kestrel Eye satellite will be launched as a secondary payload on a Falcon-9 v1.2 launch to the ISS
Will it be released from the second stage after Dragon separates, or will it be carried in the trunk and if so, released before of after the CRS-12 stay at the ISS?

I think it's going up as pressurized cargo and being launched through the Japanese airlock with the Kaber deployer.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2163.html

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Per the schedule change - when was the last time both coasts have satellite launchers flying on the same day? Atlas V/NROL-42 was supposed to fly a few hours before this one from Vandenberg!
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
I am excited that the launch has been delayed. I now have the opportunity to possibly fly to Florida and see it.

This will be a 48 hour turn around in the event of a scrub correct? I want to make sure I have enough days in the event of a short delay.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2017 07:54 pm by Next Spaceflight »

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
I am excited that the launch has been delayed. I now have the opportunity to possibly fly to Florida and see it.

This will be a 48 hour turn around in the event of a scrub correct? I want to make sure I have enough days in the event of a short delay.
Scrub delays are variable but usually 24 hours.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline IanThePineapple

If there's a big problem they could do 48 hour turnaround

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Part of the decision on scrub turnarounds will depend on whether the biological experiments need to be swapped out (there will be more mice).

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Skyrocket says

I think it's going up as pressurized cargo and being launched through the Japanese airlock with the Kaber deployer.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2163.html
That's the answer.
ISS crew assembly procedures have been prepared to guide the crew through proper and safe assembly of the NanoRacks-KE IIM. JEM airlock and MSS SPDM operations are governed by the standard operations in place for those resources. Following deployment by the NanoRacks Kaber deployer, the NanoRacks-KE IIM begins nominal mission operations limited by its orbital lifetime expected to be approximately six months.
Thanks
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter

Yes, but the last Dragon mission was a 48 hour because of the late load needing to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone had any info for this one, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it's 24.  :P

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201

Yes, but the last Dragon mission was a 48 hour because of the late load needing to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone had any info for this one, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it's 24.  :P

Wrong answer. Hopefully its NO SCRUBS.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
Wrong answer. Hopefully its NO SCRUBS.
Too risky to plan a trip assuming that though.  :'(

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter

Super risky to plan a trip around this launch. Instant launch windows are notorious for scrubs, and this is is an afternoon flight in FL in August. A scrub because of thunderstorms is also a likely outcome.
I am taking numerous precautions. I am going to pay extra for a plane ticket that can be rescheduled in the event that the launch is postponed. I will be there for several days so that I can take a few scrubs. But most importantly, if all goes wrong and I don't see a launch I will still have fun.  :) I will tour KSC (haven't done that in years), go to Port Canaveral and try and see the drone ship, and a few other non-space related activities.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Good answers!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Jeff Foust:
Scimemi’s slide on upcoming SpX-12 states that it will be the last to use “new build” Dragon; rest of CRS missions will be reused capsules.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Part of the decision on scrub turnarounds will depend on whether the biological experiments need to be swapped out (there will be more mice).

Is this confirmed (i.e. can you point me to a link)?  I'm writing up an article about CRS-12 and I'd like to take about scrub turnaround options if there are going to be mouse-tronauts on CRS-12.  Thanks.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

Is this confirmed (i.e. can you point me to a link)?  I'm writing up an article about CRS-12 and I'd like to take about scrub turnaround options if there are going to be mouse-tronauts on CRS-12.  Thanks.

Confirmed by NASA Kennedy PAO.  "There are rodents." 🐭🐭🐭

Rodent Research 9 for NASA and the Mouse Habitat Unit - 2 (or Mouse House) for JAXA.
« Last Edit: 07/25/2017 06:13 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

Super risky to plan a trip around this launch. Instant launch windows are notorious for scrubs, and this is is an afternoon flight in FL in August. A scrub because of thunderstorms is also a likely outcome.
I am taking numerous precautions. I am going to pay extra for a plane ticket that can be rescheduled in the event that the launch is postponed. I will be there for several days so that I can take a few scrubs. But most importantly, if all goes wrong and I don't see a launch I will still have fun.  :) I will tour KSC (haven't done that in years), go to Port Canaveral and try and see the drone ship, and a few other non-space related activities.

So... I'd been wanting to post this here about your travel plans, but couldn't until the article was out. There's a potentially tricky situation with CRS-12's launch as they might only have a single day to get off the ground because of the upcoming Russian EVA.  It's all here: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/07/tdrs-priority-crs-12-dragon-launch-dates-realign/

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
As mentioned in Chris G.'s article on the CRS-12 scheduling issues, the mice going up on this flight are for Rodent Research-9, not Rodent Research-6.  I guess #6 will be on one of the next couple Dragon missions.

[Ohio University] Biology Alum Sending Rodent Research Project to International Space Station
[NASA] Rodent Research-9

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Any chance this moves back to the 10th? Or has the schedule realignment already done its damage?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography