Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-1 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 672870 times)

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-1 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #20 on: 06/21/2012 02:57 pm »
How much more cargo mass are they taking up this time than on the demo flight?  I assume they will have confidence to fly with less  margin this time?

Does anyone know how much extra prop was left at the end of the Demo mission?
« Last Edit: 06/21/2012 02:58 pm by TrueBlueWitt »

Offline Idiomatic

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 06/25/2012 01:02 am »
How much more cargo mass are they taking up this time than on the demo flight?  I assume they will have confidence to fly with less  margin this time?

Does anyone know how much extra prop was left at the end of the Demo mission?

They seemed limited by hypergols on dragon due to the extended mission which may have been the limiting factor for mass rather than F9 capabilities. Initially they spoke about having carry ons during this mission which suggests they had extra upmass capability. Just a thought.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #22 on: 06/26/2012 02:19 pm »
If they only do the one test flight, does NASA get an extra CRS flight in under the existing contract?  Or does that flight just get dropped?

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #23 on: 06/26/2012 02:36 pm »
COTS and CRS are separate contracts. All that would happen is flight hardware for C3 would become SpX-1. Othwerwise there would be no incentive for SpaceX to combine the flights in the first place if NASA instead just got an extra CRS flight.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #24 on: 06/26/2012 02:36 pm »
If they only do the one test flight, does NASA get an extra CRS flight in under the existing contract?  Or does that flight just get dropped?

No.

1.  NASA did not pay for a flight under COTS.  It paid for certain milestones and data whose cost were much less than a whole flight

2.  Since COTS 3 milestones were met with the COTS 2 flight, Spacex would get paid for those milestones without having to expend a vehicle.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: 06/26/2012 02:52 pm »

F9V1.1 has yet to be flown.  Would NASA put expensive cargo on an untested launcher?

Doubtful that the CRS contract gives NASA any say with regards to the LV. SpX has to deliver the cargo in order to get paid, so if F9 v1.1 unzips then it's a matter for the underwriters. SpX would then have to decide to refly v1.1 or go back to v1.0, but regardless they have to meet their upmass obligations under CRS in order to get paid. Miss enough and the customer walks.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #26 on: 06/26/2012 04:37 pm »

No.

1.  NASA did not pay for a flight under COTS.  It paid for certain milestones and data whose cost were much less than a whole flight

2.  Since COTS 3 milestones were met with the COTS 2 flight, Spacex would get paid for those milestones without having to expend a vehicle.

Ah...this clears it up nicely.  Thank you!

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #27 on: 07/02/2012 05:15 pm »

No.

Was the Cots2+ cargo in the contract, added for free or is SpaceX getting extra for the delivery?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Nate_Trost

• Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: 07/02/2012 05:28 pm »

No.

Was the Cots2+ cargo in the contract, added for free or is SpaceX getting extra for the delivery?

They got around ~$10 million for the C2+ cargo delivery. That agreement was bundled with the supplemental COTS milestones.

Offline max_schmurz

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: 07/27/2012 09:08 pm »
Imaging that forthcoming Progress M-15M docking would have success. How do you think if it's teoretically feasibly to make any agreement between Roscosmos and NASA to downmass KURS-NA internal equipment onboard Dragon CRS SpX-1 in case such a need arises to analyse system malfunction?

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #30 on: 07/27/2012 09:20 pm »
Imaging that forthcoming Progress M-15M docking would have success. How do you think if it's teoretically feasibly to make any agreement between Roscosmos and NASA to downmass KURS-NA internal equipment onboard Dragon CRS SpX-1 in case such a need arises to analyse system malfunction?
The Kurs-NA troublesome equipment is already on the Progress. Unless they can actually dock again, and assuming that Kurs-NA is not needed for un docking, and assuming that the cosmonauts have the necessary tooling, and the problem is with equipment inside the pressure cabin, then yes, it could be done. I seriously doubt it will be done.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #31 on: 07/30/2012 05:33 am »
The Kurs-NA troublesome equipment is already on the Progress. Unless they can actually dock again, and assuming that Kurs-NA is not needed for un docking, and assuming that the cosmonauts have the necessary tooling, and the problem is with equipment inside the pressure cabin, then yes, it could be done. I seriously doubt it will be done.
In the Live: Progress M-15M undocking & redocking thread it was stated that the now successful hardware has been removed "for future return".  Since most of the download will be by Dragon, and useable stuff clears as much space as trash which will be shipped down, the KURS hardware may come down on Dragon.

edit: but not necessarily on CRS-1
(The above discussion is not really about CRS-1 the topic of this thread.)
« Last Edit: 07/30/2012 05:35 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #32 on: 07/30/2012 05:40 am »
It is noted that we are half-way from the May 22 launch of COTS-2+ to the currently listed and relatively stable Oct 5 scheduled launch date of CRS-1.  Yet no photos of new hardware at the Cape, the CRS-1 Dragon, launch preps, cargo, anything (unless I missed it.)
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #33 on: 07/30/2012 06:50 am »
It is noted that we are half-way from the May 22 launch of COTS-2+ to the currently listed and relatively stable Oct 5 scheduled launch date of CRS-1.  Yet no photos of new hardware at the Cape, the CRS-1 Dragon, launch preps, cargo, anything (unless I missed it.)
Nothing that I know of, maybe L2 has some info?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #34 on: 07/30/2012 07:18 am »
Nothing that I know of, maybe L2 has some info?

Unfortunately not. But it's still worth every penny!

I did hear unofficially that the Dragon is just about ready for shipping. Second stage is likely at the Cape already.
« Last Edit: 07/30/2012 07:19 am by Jason1701 »

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #35 on: 07/30/2012 10:53 am »
Second stage is likely at the Cape already.

They showed both stages already at Hangar AO at the time of the C2+ launch?

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #36 on: 07/30/2012 11:39 am »
Second stage is likely at the Cape already.

They showed both stages already at Hangar AO at the time of the C2+ launch?
That they did.

"While Saturday's Falcon 9 is on the pad, the rocket for our next mission is already in FL." - May 18, 2012
« Last Edit: 07/30/2012 11:44 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #37 on: 07/30/2012 02:58 pm »
That they did.

"While Saturday's Falcon 9 is on the pad, the rocket for our next mission is already in FL." - May 18, 2012

From that picture, it looked like some stuff still remained to do at the HIF - Applying insulation and decails to the skin as well as the fairing around the thrust structure on the core.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #38 on: 07/30/2012 03:08 pm »
That they did.

From that picture, it looked like some stuff still remained to do at the HIF - Applying insulation and decails to the skin as well as the fairing around the thrust structure on the core.

Don't forget the Dragon.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #39 on: 07/30/2012 03:26 pm »
Don't forget the Dragon.

Of course Dragon would be the pacing item for CRS-1, considering many of it's systems had their 1st live run ending June 1st.  I honestly would be shocked it any component was signed off on for CRS-1 till COTS2/3 was sitting on the floor at Hawthorne in 1000 pieces & every piece of data was gone over 3-4 times.

If they are almost ready to ship CRS-1 to the cape I count that as a pretty fast turn around.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography