Author Topic: Indian Human Spaceflight Program  (Read 410454 times)

Online sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Indian Human Spaceflight Program
« Reply #420 on: 10/04/2018 09:12 pm »
NASA astronaut Michael Barratt tells interviewer Pallava Bagla how astronauts' urine is reprocessed aboard a spacecraft:

Principal Scientific advisor to the Prime Minister's Office, Dr K VijayRaghavan answers questions on the Human Spaceflight Program:

« Last Edit: 10/04/2018 09:25 pm by sanman »

Offline chetan_chpd

• Please visit: https://chetanaerospace.blogspot.com
  • Pune
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #421 on: 10/05/2018 02:03 pm »
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/india-russia-sign-eight-pacts-after-modi-putin-summit/articleshow/66085306.cms

“A crucial MoU was signed between ISRO and the Federal Space Agency of Russia ‘ROSCOSMOS' on joint activities in the field of human spaceflight programme Gaganyaan”

Online sanman

« Reply #422 on: 11/07/2018 10:36 pm »
Interviewer Pallava Bagla asks Russian Cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko about the challenges of long duration missions in space:

Offline worldtimedate

• Liked: 40
« Reply #423 on: 11/08/2018 06:32 am »
Isro lines up 3 rocket launches in two months

Isro chairman K Sivan said, "All three rockets and GSLV Mk II are almost ready." Preparations are also on for launch of Chandrayaan-2 and for the human space flight programme, he added.

Work is also progressing for Gaganyaan, an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft with a launch mass of 7,800kg. Various tests will be conducted including pad abort and launch abort tests as part of the human space project, the officials said.

Offline PonRam

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 6

Offline Vikranth

« Reply #425 on: 11/14/2018 01:35 pm »
ISRO Chairman Dr.K.Shivan today in his post-launch briefing said that Gaganyaan's Unmanned Test will be conducted in Dec-2020.While,the First Manned Mission will be undertook in Dec-2021.

Offline worldtimedate

« Reply #426 on: 11/18/2018 04:15 pm »
Instead of constructing the third launch page meant for Indian Human Spaceflight Program, ISRO appears to have shelved the construction of the third launch page owing to paucity of time.

Three years from now, India will be capable of taking humans into space. Works have already commenced at Sriharikota from where the human spacecraft will take-off. K Sivan, Chairman, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), said launch pad works are being carried out parallel at Sriharikota alongside consultations with international space agencies and other governmental departments on selection of crew members.

"We are currently at the discussion stage. Meanwhile, suitable modifications have to be carried out to the launcher GSLV Mk-III vehicle to make it human rated," he said replying to a question at the post-launch press conference on Wednesday.

He said at least two unmanned flights using human rated vehicle will be carried out before Gaganyaan mission to assess various parameters. The first unmanned flight will take-off around December 2020. Initially, the plan was to construct a new launch pad for the human space flight, but Sivan told the Express that due to paucity of time, one of the two existing launch pads is being modified to meet the requirement.

Source : India's human space programme gets a fillip
« Last Edit: 11/19/2018 07:23 pm by worldtimedate »

Online sanman

« Reply #427 on: 11/18/2018 08:20 pm »
Instead of constructing the third launch page meant for Indian Human Spaceflight Program, ISRO appears to have shelved the construction of the third launch page owing to paucity of time.

Gee, that's too bad - I wonder how this will impact the overall launch schedule?

So will it hopefully eventually get built later on?

How will this impact the evolution of GSLV-Mk3 into the ULV?

Online sanman

« Reply #428 on: 12/07/2018 12:06 pm »
Summary of Memorandum-of-Understanding on joint activities between India and Russia for spaceflight research:

http://pib.gov.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1554954

Department of Space

Cabinet approves MoU between India and Russia on Joint Activities under Human Spaceflight Programme

Posted On: 06 DEC 2018 9:30PM by PIB Delhi

The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Russiaon Joint Activities under Human Spaceflight Programme. The MoU was signed on 15th October 2015 at New Delhi.

Major Impact:

Signing of the MoU will strengthen the cooperation between India and Russia and would provide impetus to develop the technologies and advanced systems required for the human space flight programme like radiation shielding, life support systems, crew module, rendezvous and docking systems, space suit, training for astronauts etc.

Benefits:

The MoU would lead to develop a joint activity in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity. It will lead to setting up of a Joint Working Group, which will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing the provisions of this Agreement.

AKT/SH

Detailed document:

https://web.archive.org/web/20181006174026/http://www.mea.gov.in/Portal/LegalTreatiesDoc/RU15B2629.pdf

Offline A.K.

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #429 on: 12/11/2018 06:55 am »
Hello, I don't intend to get political but I have not seen SPADEX there on cards even next year. Is ISRO cautious about changes in establishment too?
If there are chances that if UPA regime comes back to power, it will put human spaceflight program on hold again. After all, manned spaceflight was never a priority until PM intervened.

Offline srikanthr124

• india
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #430 on: 12/11/2018 11:46 am »
Hello, I don't intend to get political but I have not seen SPADEX there on cards even next year. Is ISRO cautious about changes in establishment too?
If there are chances that if UPA regime comes back to power, it will put human spaceflight program on hold again. After all, manned spaceflight was never a priority until PM intervened.
Not exactly, human space flight program proposal was there from a long time and honorable Modi ji has given final extra push needed. And it is not a pure political decision So i think who ever in the power the program will continue...
In the past also no such programs of ISRO are canceled based on politics...
« Last Edit: 12/11/2018 10:16 pm by srikanthr124 »

Offline chetan_chpd

• Please visit: https://chetanaerospace.blogspot.com
  • Pune
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #431 on: 12/11/2018 06:34 pm »
If pm modi loses next general elections...there will be no human spaceflight till 2030’s...i am certain of it.

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #432 on: 12/12/2018 07:27 am »

That is simply not true. Human space program was proposed formally in 2006 under a UPA government. Initial approval and funding for HSP came in 2007 under a UPA government. BJP is simply taking credit for work for which the UPA laid the foundations.

Anyways isro tends to keep chugging along regardless of what government is in power so regardless of what happens in 2019 elections i do not think it will affect the national space program.

Offline A.K.

« Reply #433 on: 12/12/2018 11:03 am »
That is simply not true. Human space program was proposed formally in 2006 under a UPA government. Initial approval and funding for HSP came in 2007 under a UPA government. BJP is simply taking credit for work for which the UPA laid the foundations.
Look, I study ideologies of left & right wings & politics a lot so I'm not biased for or against any political party.
 I just judged on the basis actions after 2010 as manned space program was put on hold and BJP was reviving many projects in others sectors too according their own set of priorities.
 My views are entirely personal and I don't want to create any ruckssome political argument over here.
Regards
« Last Edit: 12/12/2018 11:04 am by A.K. »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #434 on: 12/12/2018 12:23 pm »
Look, I study ideologies of left & right wings & politics a lot so I'm not biased for or against any political party.
 I just judged on the basis actions after 2010 as manned space program was put on hold and BJP was reviving many projects in others sectors too according their own set of priorities.
 My views are entirely personal and I don't want to create any ruckssome political argument over here.
Regards

You say you don’t want to create a political argument, well in that case why post such a political comment in the first place?

Offline A.K.

« Reply #435 on: 12/13/2018 03:27 am »
You say you don’t want to create a political argument, well in that case why post such a political comment in the first place?
I just wanted to have an anticipation on IHSP if it's going to occur. Didn't thought that people will take sides. Anyways, leave it.

Online sanman

« Reply #436 on: 12/13/2018 09:59 am »

I beg your pardon? It's ISRO which proposed human spaceflight, not the UPA govt. In what way did UPA lay the foundations for what ISRO proposed? Reflexive perfunctory approval of something is not the same as having a vision. The funding approved by UPA was only for low-level activity, whereas they could have and should have provided full-fledged support for a full-on human spaceflight effort - which they didn't.

Anyways isro tends to keep chugging along regardless of what government is in power so regardless of what happens in 2019 elections i do not think it will affect the national space program.

Human spaceflight was slowly chugging along, but wasn't going to reach the takeoff stage until the PMO gave it full backing, which has now been done. You can't just slowly chug yourself off the runway or the launch pad - you need that extra strong push to get aloft. Without the August 15 announcement, human spaceflight development would have just stayed under the radar without the full resource allocation that's required for it. Now that it's fully front and centre, it can progress as needed.
« Last Edit: 12/13/2018 10:14 am by sanman »

Offline A.K.

« Reply #437 on: 12/13/2018 11:55 am »
Come on guys, every establishment has its own priorities and reasons to justify it, leave it. We all are going to live well past 2022 to see what happens.
 I beg for apologies, won't ask such stupid things again.

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #438 on: 12/13/2018 02:30 pm »
It's ISRO which proposed human spaceflight, not the UPA govt. In what way did UPA lay the foundations for what ISRO proposed? Reflexive perfunctory approval of something is not the same as having a vision. The funding approved by UPA was only for low-level activity, whereas they could have and should have provided full-fledged support for a full-on human spaceflight effort - which they didn't.

I should have been more clear in my initial post. When i said UPA laid foundations for HSP by that i meant:

- In 2007 preliminary development phase of HSP was approved by the then UPA government
- Preliminary development work included: Crew Module Development, Space suit development, Pad Abort Test and human rating of GSLV Mk-2/3 to carry humans
- Prototype crew module development was completed in 2014 with the successful launch of CARE module on GSLV Mk-3 X mission   
- Space suit development has been completed for several years now
- Pad Abort Test was successfully done in july 2018
- Human rating of GSLV Mk-3 is well underway with ISRO chief saying recently goal is 10-15 flights before human mission. Besides Mk-3 is also developed ground up for human space flight.

The development of all these technologies began way before BJP even came into the picture. As for your criticism why full funding was not provided all at once well one has to learn to walk before they can run. In 2007 no technology for human space flight existed in india. Developing the fundamental technologies is necessary before one can make decision as costly as whether to fund a human spaceflight program or not. As for the slow pace well keep in mind this was around the time of 2 back to back GSLV failures and at most 2-3 missions per year. It would make a lot of sense for isro to focus on more immediate programs rather than a human space flight program that may never happen.

Offline worldtimedate

« Reply #439 on: 12/13/2018 09:30 pm »
Work continues on the the Manned Space Program to be launched by 2022.

Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) director S Somnath told TOI on returning to Kerala after the PSLV-C43 launch from Sriharikota on Nov 30. He said, seven missions are lined up in 2019 and work is also on the human spaceflight mission Gaganyaan by 2021.

For the human spaceflight Program Gaganyaan as announced by the Prime Minister on August 15, he said work is on for launching the Indian crewed orbital spacecraft with a mass of 7,800 kg by 2020. Ahead of that two unmanned missions are planned with ground tests, reliability tests for a smooth landing and various tests will be done to ensure that its human-rated vehicle valid to carry humans in terms of safety in technology design.

Source : After PSLV-C43 success, Isro centres set for GSLV-MK II launch on December 19

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography