Author Topic: Comparisons Between Starlink, One Web, and Kuiper  (Read 1867 times)

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
I would like to know the cost for an individual customer per each provider.  The speed of each, and the what is currently available.  If someone knows this.  I assume One Web and Kuiper are not ready, but may be in a few years. 

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 913
Re: Comparisons Between Starlink, One Web, and Kuiper
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2023 06:04 pm »
I live in rural northern New Mexico where land based internet is expensive, high latency and very slow.  I now have Starlink, it costs $120 per month with a $600 initial kit fee.  The system gives between 25 and 300 mbs depending on usage etc., dropouts are very short and latency is modest and sometimes long.  That being said, the installation was simple and quick - itís plug and play!!!

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2023 06:07 pm »
Thanks, I did know about Starlink because my SIL has it.  I mostly wanted to know about the other two.  If someone can chime in. 

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25172
  • Likes Given: 12102
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2023 08:39 pm »
OneWeb has not announced its prices yet, but its fees should be somewhere between $1000 and $1500 a month.

https://www.spacedaily.com/m/reports/Future_of_Satellite_Internet_OneWeb_vs_Starlink_999.html
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2023 09:26 pm »
I would like to know the cost for an individual customer per each provider.  The speed of each, and the what is currently available.  If someone knows this.  I assume One Web and Kuiper are not ready, but may be in a few years.

Kuiper hasn't announced any consumer prices yet, but it is projected to be $99-$500 per month depending on plan (personal / business) and usage. Kuiper's terminal kits are probably going to be priced around $600, like Starlink.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2023 09:43 pm »
So One Web is not a "direct" competitor to Starlink if they sell indirectly to individuals and Kuiper will be a direct competitor.  Starlink is way ahead of Kuiper then, and even One Web.  Reusing Falcon 9 is Starlink's ace in the hole.  Getting Starship going will help them be further ahead. 

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography