Author Topic: How GPS Works - Scott Manley  (Read 1999 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8189
  • Likes Given: 7449
How GPS Works - Scott Manley
« on: 09/01/2023 08:51 am »
How GPS Works, And How It Got Better Than The Designers Ever Imagined

Aug 31, 2023
Civilian GPS was originally supposed to have a precision of 100meters, nowadays it's good within 1 meter, and some small aircraft can use this precision to land entirely on autopilot. There's a lot of things that made this possible, on one part new technology, and on the other simply removing road blocks.

« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 08:37 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline gladysanderson

• United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How GPS Works - Scott Manley
« Reply #1 on: 09/29/2023 04:56 am »
Great video. Thanks for sharing. I used to give classes to pilots on the functionality and improvements in GPS.. from DGPS to WAAS and LAAS.   What's also amazing is Real-Time Kinematic positioning (RTK), which is primarily used for surveying.  RTK is a similar application of DGPS, in the context that a base station GPS receiver / transmitter is set up at a site to be surveyed and then "satellite" GPS units are used around the survey site, communicating with the base station to give a super-accurate relative positioning that's at the centimeter-level of accuracy. ;D
« Last Edit: 09/29/2023 04:58 am by gladysanderson »

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1947
  • Likes Given: 1128
Re: How GPS Works - Scott Manley
« Reply #2 on: 09/29/2023 08:12 am »
One federal agency that was involved very early with GPS was the US Forest Service.  They saw the possibilities in using GPS for surveying the boundaries of national forests.  Trimble Navigation made a unit that was tested that wasn't quite as portable as current units.  It had a tripod with an antenna on it.  There was a very heavy battery in a metal box.  There was another box connected to the other parts with the electronics in it and the coordinate readout.  My father was the guy the Forest Service selected to test it.  To use it, required waiting for enough satellites to come up over the horizon.  I think only four or five satellites had been launched by the time of testing.  From that very first civilian survey test not done by the manufacturer of the equipment, it has grown so GPS for surveying is used massively.  My dad did the first civilian survey using a very well located marker in Mary Knoll Park in Brookfield, WI for comparison with other methods.  I don't remember the exact date.  It was somewhere between 1980 and 1982.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography