Author Topic: SpaceX F9/Dragon 2 : CRS2 SpX-26 : KSC LC-39A : 26 November 2022 (19:20 UTC)  (Read 77388 times)

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 3164
  • Likes Given: 2273
SpaceX CRS-26 Discussion thread.

Launch November 26, 2022, at 19:20 UTC (2:20 pm EST), on Falcon 9 (Booster 1076-1) from KSC LC-39A, using Cargo Dragon C211-1.  First stage successfully landed aboard Just Read the Instructions.

NSF Threads for CRS-26 : Discussion

NSF Articles for SpaceX CRS :  https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/?s=CRS%2BSpaceX
NSF Articles for CRS missions :  https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/?s=CRS

External cargo: ISS Roll Out Solar Array (iROSA) ( ISS advanced solar array upgrades (iROSA) Thread / Wikipedia article / EOportal article)

Redwire Successfully Delivers Second Pair of iROSA Solar Arrays to Augment International Space Station Power Supply
They would be launched on the CRS-26 mission
https://redwirespace.com/newsroom/redwire-successfully-delivers-second-pair-of-irosa-solar-arrays-to-augment-international-space-station-power-supply

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)  /   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles  /  SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)
   L2 SpaceX Section
« Last Edit: 11/26/2022 10:06 pm by zubenelgenubi »
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
www.x.com/conexionspacial

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72392
NASA’s SpaceX CRS-25 Prelaunch News Conference [July 13, 8 pm EDT]
Dana Weigel, deputy program manager, International Space Station Program, NASA.  Opening remarks: NG-18 launch in October 2022, followed by SpX-26.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-posts:
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated August 4:
The next astronaut launch, NASA's Crew-5 mission, is scheduled for early October, in the early afternoon EDT.

Crew-4 departure should follow a few to several days later.

Dragon Crew-5 first stage, from Nextspaceflight, updated August 4:

SFN Launch Schedule, updated July 21:
October 15.

When does SpX-26 fit in?  Last third of October?
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 06:38 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-cargo-dragon-mission-to-iss/ [July 14]

After CRS-25, the next commercial cargo mission is NG-18, a Northrop Grumman Cygnus mission tentatively scheduled for mid-October. The SpaceX CRS-26 Dragon mission will follow late in the year, delivering among other cargo a set of solar arrays to be installed on the station by spacewalking astronauts. “That’s our next target for when we’re hoping to be able to do a planned EVA,” Weigel said.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2022 11:09 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post:
https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/space/iss-research/microgravity-research-flights/
Planned Flights
Flight        Date                    GRC Experiment
NG-18      October 2022      SoFIE MIST
SpX-26     November 2022    
SpX-27     January 2023    
NG-19      February 2023    CM-HT SoFIE RTDFS

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule, updated August 31:
November 18

Offline SPKirsch

• Germany
  • Liked: 789
  • Likes Given: 670
Cross-posts:
1622-EX-ST-2022
CRS-26
SpaceX Mission 1415 from Launch Complex 39A at KSC or Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral AFS
November
ASDS North  30  32  47   West  78  26  55
the other two permits for CRS-26

1624-EX-ST-2022 Dragon2 capsule telemetry and tracking for the upcoming SpaceX Commercial Resupply Services mission to the International Space Station.

1626-EX-ST-2022 Dragon2 capsule command and recovery for the upcoming Commercial Resupply Service mission to the International Space Station.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Noting that the Artemis I launch from LC-39B may impose some constraints on this Cargo Dragon launch from LC-39A:
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1579316127846395910?s=46&t=HgMh9TQBGjFo_CVJg-wB2g

Pending successful FTS (Flight Termination System) work in the VAB, SLS rollout for Artemis I is tracking November 7-8.

This would allow for a November 14 launch attempt.

These are current targets and are very much subject to change.

Pic: Nathan Barker (@NASA_Nerd) for NSF.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Launch time on November 18:
SpaceX CRS-26 will launch on November 18, 2022 at 22:00 UTC (5:00 PM EST).  [Oct 13 update]
https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/4754

Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated October 16:
And a Falcon 9 from pad 39A will launch the Dragon CRS-26 resupply mission to the ISS on November 18 around 4 or 5 p.m. EST.
= 21:00-22:00 UTC

Might this be the first launch of booster 1076?

Edited
« Last Edit: 10/17/2022 08:34 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1595

Alexphysics mentioned somewhere that B1077.2 is expected for this launch.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator

SpX-26 using B1077.2?
https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1577720100966338585
NASA's Stich says each new Falcon 9 booster in the SpaceX fleet brings "safety improvements" and "better inspections."

"I think we might get a new booster again later on for Crew-6."
On the launch webcast they said today’s booster would be reused for Crew-6.
The booster for Crew-6 May, or may not, be the B1077 used today for Crew-5 …
This contradicts the Crew-5 broadcast. They said B1077 would fly again on Crew-6.
I wonder if Derrol Nail got confused with CRS-26? Would make more sense to me at least.
Seems to be the case. Booster for Crew-6 is B1078 as of current planning.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2022 10:31 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945

I would have to ask about it but I think I just said I thought Deroll was probably thinking of CRS-26 when he said B1077 was going to fly on Crew-6 (which it isn't). I wouldn't rule out this one being on B1077 though, there's plenty of time to turn it around (which would have sounded crazy just a year ago given we're about a month away from launch)
« Last Edit: 10/17/2022 10:33 pm by Alexphysics »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
https://twitter.com/nasa/status/1585023564230832130

Our next @SpaceX cargo mission to the @Space_Station is scheduled to lift off no earlier than Friday, Nov. 18, carrying roll-out solar arrays, tomato seeds, and other supplies and @ISS_Research. Media accreditation for the launch is now open: go.nasa.gov/3f791Ig

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-invites-media-to-spacex-s-26th-resupply-launch-to-space-station

Oct 25, 2022
MEDIA ADVISORY M22-158

NASA Invites Media to SpaceX’s 26th Resupply Launch to Space Station

Media accreditation is open for SpaceX’s 26th commercial resupply mission for NASA to the International Space Station. Liftoff of the SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft on a Falcon 9 rocket is targeted no earlier than Friday, Nov. 18, from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

SpaceX’s Dragon will deliver new science investigations, supplies, and equipment for the international crew, including the next pair of ISS Roll Out Solar Arrays (iROSAs). It also will carry a study to grow dwarf tomatoes to help create a continuous fresh-food production system in space, as well as an experiment that tests an on-demand method to create specific quantities of key nutrients.

Media prelaunch and launch activities will take place at Kennedy. Attendance for this launch is open to U.S. citizens. U.S. media must apply by 11:59 p.m. Monday, Nov. 7.

Media wishing to take part in person must apply for credentials at:

https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

Credentialed media will receive a confirmation email upon approval. For questions about accreditation or to request special logistical requests such as space for satellite trucks, tents, or electrical connections, please email by Wednesday, Nov. 9 to: [email protected]. For other questions, please contact Kennedy’s newsroom at: 321-867-2468.

Para obtener información sobre cobertura en español en el Centro Espacial Kennedy o si desea solicitar entrevistas en español, comuníquese con Antonia Jaramillo at: [email protected] or 321-501-8425.

Other studies launching include a test of a microscope with potential deep space applications and Engineered Heart Tisues-2 (EHT-2), a study of cardiac health. This experiment builds on an investigation of 3D cultures aboard the space station in 2020. The previous experiment detected changes at the cellular and tissue level that could provide early indication of the development of cardiac disease. This study tests whether new therapies could prevent these negative effects from occurring.

Cargo resupply by U.S. companies significantly increases NASA's ability to conduct more investigations aboard the orbiting laboratory. Those investigations lead to new technologies, medical treatments, and products that improve life on Earth. Other U.S. government agencies, private industry, and academic and research institutions can also conduct microgravity research through our partnership with the ISS National Laboratory.

Humans have occupied the space station continuously since November 2000. In that time, 263 people and a variety of international and commercial spacecraft have visited the orbital outpost. It remains the springboard to NASA's next great leap in exploration, including future missions to the Moon under Artemis, and ultimately, human exploration of Mars.

For more information about commercial resupply missions, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/commercialresupply

-end-
« Last Edit: 10/25/2022 09:47 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
.@NASA invites media to @SpaceX’s 26th resupply launch to the space station, targeted no earlier than Nov. 18 from
@NASAKennedy. Dragon will deliver supplies, solar arrays, and new science, including a study that will grow tomatoes!

https://twitter.com/Space_Station/status/1585648207375261697

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated October 29:
A Falcon 9 from pad 39A will launch the Dragon CRS-26 resupply mission to the ISS on November 18 around 5:30 p.m. EST. Sunset is 5:27 p.m.
= ~22:30 UTC

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Kathy Leuders said this is Nov. 20 at the NAC HEO meeting

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
A Falcon 9 from pad 39A will launch the Dragon CRS-26 resupply mission to the ISS on November 20 around 4:40 p.m. EST.

https://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html

=21:40 UTC

same reported at https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/?search=SpaceX

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
https://twitter.com/iss_research/status/1587817711869997057

SpaceX's 26th CRS mission is scheduled for lift-off on Nov. 18!

The Dragon spacecraft will carry scientific experiments and tech demonstrations to station that explore growing plants in space, creating nutrients on-demand, in-space construction, and more:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/spacex-26-science-highlights/

Oct 31, 2022

Cutting-edge Experiments Ride SpaceX’s 26th CRS Mission to Space Station

SpaceX’s 26th commercial resupply mission (CRS) is scheduled to launch to the International Space Station from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Nov. 18. The Dragon spacecraft carries scientific experiments and technology demonstrations that explore growing plants in space, creating nutrients on-demand, in-space construction, and more.

Download high-resolution photos and videos of the research mentioned in this article.

Here are details on some of the research launching to the space station:

Big hopes for small tomatoes

A continuous source of nutritious food is essential for long-duration exploration missions, and the typical pre-packaged astronaut diet may need to be supplemented by fresh foods produced in space. Researchers have been testing a plant growth unit on station known as Veggie and have successfully grown a variety of leafy greens. Veg-05, the next step in that work, focuses on growing dwarf tomatoes.

“We are testing tomatoes, looking at the impacts of light spectrum on how well the crop grows, how delicious and nutritious the tomatoes are, and the microbial activity on the fruit and plants,” says Gioia Massa, NASA Life Sciences project scientist and VEG-05 principal investigator. “We also are examining the overall effect of growing, tending, and eating crops on crew behavioral health. All of this will provide valuable data for future space exploration.”

Massa adds that tomatoes can be eaten fresh and are nutritious and widely consumed.  Red Robin, the dwarf cherry tomato variety used in the investigation, grew well during ground testing and produced a large crop of nutritious and palatable fruit.

Diagnoses on the fly

Moon Microscope tests a kit for in-flight medical diagnosis that includes a portable hand-held microscope and a small self-contained blood sample staining device. An astronaut collects and stains a blood sample, obtains images with the microscope, and transmits images to the ground, where flight surgeons use them to diagnose illness and prescribe treatment.

“We do not have a profound clinical problem on the space station, but crew members do experience changes in their immune systems,” says NASA immunologist and principal investigator Brian Crucian. “During deep space missions, all stressors increase and our ability to care for the crew is reduced, a combination that could increase certain clinical risks. This project is designed to create a diagnostic laboratory capability that is highly miniaturized and compatible with microgravity and operational constraints. An ill crew member could perform the blood smear, imaging, and transmission of images in minutes.”

The kit could provide diagnostic capabilities for crew members in space or on the surface of the Moon or Mars, as well as the ability to test water, food, and surfaces for contamination. The hardware also may enable improved medical monitoring on upcoming Artemis and Gateway missions.   

Building bigger structures

On Earth, gravity deforms large objects such as the beams used in large-scale construction. Microgravity enables fabrication of longer and thinner structures without this deformation. Extrusion demonstrates a technology using liquid resin to create shapes and forms that cannot be created on Earth. Photocurable resin is injected into pre-made flexible forms and a camera captures footage of the process. The capability for using these forms could enable in-space construction of structures such as space stations, solar arrays, and equipment.

“This experiment leverages the microgravity environment to extrude both common and complex branching shapes,” says principal investigator Ariel Ekblaw, director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Lab Space Exploration Initiative. “Our method reduces the time to produce key parts needed for daily mission use and it may support future space construction of large structures like trusses and antennae. The Extrusion investigation builds on our additive manufacturing and in-space self-assembly workstreams.”

The Space Exploration Initiative supports a range of microgravity and lunar research across science, engineering, art, and design. The experiment is packed inside a Nanoracks Black Box with several other experiments from the MIT Media Lab and is sponsored by the ISS National Lab.

On-demand nutrients

Supplying adequate nutrition is a major challenge to maintaining crew health on future long-duration space missions. Many vitamins, nutrients, and pharmaceuticals have limited shelf-life, and the ability to make such compounds on-demand could help maintain crew health and well-being. BioNutrients-2 tests a system for producing key nutrients from yogurt, a fermented milk product known as kefir, and a yeast-based beverage.

The investigation kicks off phase two of the five-year BioNutrients program, headed by NASA’s Ames Research Center and managed by Game Changing Development in NASA's Space Technology Mission Directorate. The program began with the launch of BioNutrients-1 in 2019. BioNutrients-2 employs a smaller system with a heated incubator that promotes growth of beneficial organisms.

“This experiment adds follistatin, a protein therapeutic used to maintain muscle mass, as well as the fermented milk products yogurt and kefir,” says principal investigator John Hogan of NASA Ames. “We also are testing a new lightweight bag system for effective microbial storage and growth in microgravity and evaluating our food safety techniques.” For a third investigation, the researchers plan to engineer a single yeast strain to make up to four nutrient products.

The researchers also are working to find efficient ways to use local resources to make bulk products such as plastics, construction binders, and feedstock chemicals. Such technologies are designed to reduce launch costs and increase self-sufficiency, extending the horizons of human exploration.

Adding solar power

Two roll-out solar arrays, or iROSAs, launched aboard SpaceX-22 and were installed in 2021. These solar panels, which roll out like a rug or a yoga mat using stored kinetic energy, expand the energy-production capabilities of the space station. The second set, launching in the trunk of SpaceX-26, provides a 20 to 30% increase in power for space station research and operations.

“The first two arrays have been performing outstandingly well,” says Matt Mickle, development projects senior manager at Boeing. “The solar cells are immensely more powerful than previous generations. We made minor modifications to the hardware for subsequent launches that improve operational efficiency.”

These arrays, the second of three packages, upgrade 50% of the station’s power channels. Roll Out Solar Array technology was first tested on the space station in 2017. ROSA has been used on the NASA DART asteroid mission and is planned for use on the Gateway lunar outpost, a vital component of NASA’s Artemis mission. The iROSA program provides a great example of using the space station as a proving ground for the technology and research needed to explore farther into space.

Easing gravity transitions

Travelers to space all face the transition from one gravity field to another. On future exploration missions, astronauts may encounter three different gravity fields: weightlessness while traveling in space, the gravity of another planet, and Earth’s gravity when they return. These transitions can affect spatial orientation, head-eye and hand-eye coordination, balance, and locomotion and cause some crew members to experience space motion sickness.

The Falcon Goggles investigation tests hardware that captures high-speed video of a subject’s eyes, providing precise data on ocular alignment and balance. 

"These goggles could better inform our researchers of the impacts of microgravity on crew members and their ability to adapt and work in new gravities," said Dr. Cherie Oubre, deputy flight scientist with NASA’s Human Research Program. "Devices like this will be invaluable as we work toward preparing astronauts for long-duration exploration missions to the Moon and beyond to Mars, and also can improve similar technologies here on Earth."

For daily updates, follow @ISS_Research, Space Station Research and Technology News, or our Facebook. For opportunities to see the space station pass over your town, check out Spot the Station.

Melissa Gaskill
International Space Station Program Research Office
Johnson Space Center

Last Updated: Nov 2, 2022
Editor: Ana Guzman

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 3164
  • Likes Given: 2273
https://twitter.com/iss_research/status/1587817711869997057

SpaceX's 26th CRS mission is scheduled for lift-off on Nov. 18!

A Falcon 9 from pad 39A will launch the Dragon CRS-26 resupply mission to the ISS on November 20 around 4:40 p.m. EST.
The latest update yesterday, from Ben Cooper, indicates that the launch is still scheduled for November 20.
« Last Edit: 11/02/2022 06:02 pm by zubenelgenubi »
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
www.x.com/conexionspacial

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Perhaps, first stage 1073.5 is for SpX-26.
Quote from: SpaceX tweet
As Falcon Heavy rolled out, two Falcon 9 first stage boosters arrived at the hangar. [Oct 31]
Identities, please?
For the next two LC-39A Falcon 9 launches (SpX-26 and ??)?

Quote from: Alexphysics13 tweet
B1073 and B1049 get ready for their next flights during November. [Oct 31]
« Last Edit: 11/02/2022 10:04 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Tags: SpaceX crs-26 crs-2 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography