Author Topic: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread  (Read 372135 times)

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1660 on: 11/15/2022 03:51 pm »
Maybe there needs to be an "I risk sending discussion off track with incessant arguing" category and pitch these replys there as a moderation activity.

I read a post or two in the back-and-forth with interest, but by the 10th or so in this series it makes me no longer want to even participate in the parent thread- and this discussion is supposed to be about Artemis 1 overall, not nits and minutiae about weather observations, limits, and 3rd order impacts that may or may not be related to same.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #1661 on: 11/15/2022 03:56 pm »
SO....Back in 2009 I was looking for a group of people to discuss the Ares V architecture and found Chris and NASA Spaceflight. I've been coming here everyday since.

NOW... More than 13 years later, the Constellation program gave way to Artemis and the Ares V to SLS. I, like the rest of us have very strong feelings about this winding narrative. But right now, I am rooting like hell for that orange beast and all those who have toiled over her. Godspeed Artemis 1.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #1662 on: 11/15/2022 04:19 pm »
Eddie Vedder and NASA’s Artemis rocket soar to the moon in music video:

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1663 on: 11/15/2022 04:33 pm »
The RTV peeled off in the wind. It therefore had overall negative margins (including maybe manufacturing). This is essentially tautological.

Are you sure it was the wind, and not the rain, thermal cycling or UV exposure (or something else)?
No, but seems pretty probable that near-hurricane force winds contributed to the overall negative margins.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #1664 on: 11/15/2022 04:35 pm »
The RTV peeled off in the wind. It therefore had overall negative margins (including maybe manufacturing). This is essentially tautological.

Are you sure it was the wind, and not the rain, thermal cycling or UV exposure (or something else)?

Could easily be process related as well.  When I've encountered poor RTV adhesion is often has turned out to be something like dirty/contaminated surfaces during the application or poor workmanship of the polymerics operator.
Yes, I agree.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #1665 on: 11/15/2022 04:36 pm »
Before giving final approval for the next Artemis 1 launch attempt, engineers are assessing hurricane damage to caulk-like material known as RTV on the exterior of the Orion spacecraft -- the thin band visible above the NASA “worm” logo in this file photo.

That is completely incorrect. It is *NOT* on the Orion Spacecraft. It is on the LAS Boost Cover, which will be discarded during ascent. The Orion spacecraft is completely covered by the cover and isn't even visible.
I have seen this ambiguity in lots of places: what are the elements of the "Orion spacecraft"? The Orion capsule and the service module are elements, but what about the LAS? I don't think the LAS ogive covers the entire (rest of) the spacecraft. There appear to be separate panels that cover the service module during ascent and are also discarded.
The LAS is sort of considered part of Orion.

Offline Starlab90

• NASA Retired
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 786
  • Likes Given: 314
« Reply #1666 on: 11/15/2022 05:23 pm »
Before giving final approval for the next Artemis 1 launch attempt, engineers are assessing hurricane damage to caulk-like material known as RTV on the exterior of the Orion spacecraft -- the thin band visible above the NASA “worm” logo in this file photo.

That is completely incorrect. It is *NOT* on the Orion Spacecraft. It is on the LAS Boost Cover, which will be discarded during ascent. The Orion spacecraft is completely covered by the cover and isn't even visible.
I have seen this ambiguity in lots of places: what are the elements of the "Orion spacecraft"? The Orion capsule and the service module are elements, but what about the LAS? I don't think the LAS ogive covers the entire (rest of) the spacecraft. There appear to be separate panels that cover the service module during ascent and are also discarded.
The LAS is sort of considered part of Orion.

The LAS is part of Orion. It is there to provide an abort capability for the crew module in case of a catastrophic launch event. It also provides a protective aerodynamic cover for the Orion crew module during the early minutes of the ascent. The service module is covered by protective panels from the lower end of the crew module adapter to the bottom of the spacecraft adapter. (The spacecraft adapter is the Orion hardware that mates with the SLS Orion Stage Adapter.)

In flight, the service module panels are jettisoned first, followed a few seconds later by the LAS.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #1667 on: 11/15/2022 05:59 pm »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography