Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375440 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #620 on: 03/08/2016 04:12 pm »
I get this message a lot when attempting searches.  Am I doing something wrong?

Works for me but Mark has been working on improving it and I'll pass it on to him.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #621 on: 03/10/2016 08:23 pm »
Any images posted in the last couple days all show zero views to me.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #622 on: 03/10/2016 09:10 pm »
Any images posted in the last couple days all show zero views to me.

Yeah, not sure what's happened there, but it's not a functional issue. I'll pass it on to Mark.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #623 on: 03/18/2016 02:38 pm »
Hmm... as of this morning, various functions, like clicking "Like" on a post or clicking the "Mark Read" button in a forum, automatically returns me to the main Forums page.

That's sort of disruptive, to get tossed back to the main Forum page just because you clicked "Like" on a post.  I can find my way back to the thread, but it's an annoyance that I can't imagine is intended behavior.

I guess I don't mind it as much after clicking "Mark Read" in a forum, since I intend to go back to the forums list -- but in that case, I'd rather be in the section I was in, and not at the top where I have to scroll back down.  Not as much of an annoyance, but still not the way the forum software has always worked.

FYI, I'm on Windows 10 using Chrome.  If Mark wants my detailed specs, like version numbers, etc., I'm happy to give them to him upon request.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #624 on: 03/18/2016 04:47 pm »
Hmmm, yeah - just noticed that myself. Have informed Mark.
« Last Edit: 03/18/2016 04:49 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 10431
« Reply #625 on: 03/18/2016 05:55 pm »
Many attached images for the past few months have a "image.jpeg" filename. This makes it pretty annoying for people like me who like to collect images from launches. I think it is probable that the forum software is renaming them, as this was very uncommon until recently.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #626 on: 03/18/2016 06:52 pm »
Many attached images for the past few months have a "image.jpeg" filename. This makes it pretty annoying for people like me who like to collect images from launches. I think it is probable that the forum software is renaming them, as this was very uncommon until recently.

I'll have a look when I cover the Soyuz launch tonight. I do know there's been some work on the URLs, and we're looking to solve a couple of bugs via that. Anyway, filename of images should be as selected by the uploader, so let's see how that works on the Soyuz launch with several people uploading.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #627 on: 03/18/2016 07:19 pm »
Hmm... as of this morning, various functions, like clicking "Like" on a post or clicking the "Mark Read" button in a forum, automatically returns me to the main Forums page.

That's sort of disruptive, to get tossed back to the main Forum page just because you clicked "Like" on a post.  I can find my way back to the thread, but it's an annoyance that I can't imagine is intended behavior.

It appears Mark has now fixed this. Can you confirm from your end?

Online mtakala24

« Reply #628 on: 03/18/2016 08:03 pm »
It bugged on me too, but as I was now able to like your post, it seems to be fixed.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #629 on: 03/18/2016 11:32 pm »

It appears Mark has now fixed this. Can you confirm from your end?

Yep!  "Like" is working as normal now.

Thanks, Chris!  Thanks, Mark!
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline cartman

• Greece
« Reply #630 on: 03/20/2016 10:41 am »
here is a new post where the attachment is named image.jpg
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33778.msg1505894#msg1505894

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #631 on: 03/20/2016 12:44 pm »
Ok, so that's not a site issue. That's to do with a member who only used the filename "image" in their photo uploads, which is probably because the source has used that filename. The forum software has nothing to do with the filename of the uploaded attachment.

Offline cartman

• Greece
« Reply #632 on: 03/20/2016 02:14 pm »
Yes you are probably right. I searched for the posts that have the same filename and they belong to one member of the site.

Ok, so that's not a site issue. That's to do with a member who only used the filename "image" in their photo uploads, which is probably because the source has used that filename. The forum software has nothing to do with the filename of the uploaded attachment.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #633 on: 03/20/2016 02:39 pm »
It's an iOS 'feature' that if you save an image from a web page, tweet etc and then upload it to a site then it gets uploaded with the filename "image.jpeg". There is no opportunity, that I know of, in iOS to specify a filename. Happens on some of my posts when I'm using my iPad.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #634 on: 04/01/2016 12:13 pm »
I am not able to edit some posts; cannot find the ‘modify’ button? Did try searching so sorry if I missed a previous explanation. Has the option to edit posts been removed?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #635 on: 04/01/2016 12:16 pm »
Try it again now ;) (It was a setting for all).

You may need to refresh.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2016 12:20 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #636 on: 04/01/2016 12:23 pm »
Try it again now ;) (It was a setting for all).

You may need to refresh.

Thank you!

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #637 on: 04/19/2016 07:40 am »
Hi, are there any kind of Tools & Tips threads where people share their calculation spreadsheets and whatever? I tried looking around, but didn't see anything.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #638 on: 04/20/2016 11:16 pm »
Hi NSF site people, I had a question in relation to embedding spreadsheets inside forum posts.

Here's something I came across in regards to embedding Googledocs spreadsheets:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=250782

Google Docs is a free service by Google. Google Docs are a professional collection of "Office" applications like a Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation Designer, and Drawing tool. Google Docs is a serious alternative to the very expensive Microsoft Office. Documents are stored online, can be shared among users, and in the case of this BB Code they can be embedded in other web pages.

There are several BB Codes in this collection, Google Doc (Document), Google Spreadsheet and Google Presentation. Google Drawings can be embedded using the standard [img] tags but I will give an example here anyway.

When working on any Google Document in the top right of the window will be a "Share" button with drop-down arrow. Click on this arrow and choose "Publish to Web" or "Publish / Embed" and you will be given code to link to and/or embed the document. You will be given a URL such as:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1bhtK-AhiXqfWK5bGJcULvEO3zMahcFgnJEsT1YvYsuc

What you need is the document ID which is the long string of characters after "id=" or "key=" and before the ampersand (&) if present, in this case your id is:
1bhtK-AhiXqfWK5bGJcULvEO3zMahcFgnJEsT1YvYsuc

In all cases you put the ID between the appropriate tag for the type of document.

Google Document (Word Processor Document)
[gd]1bhtK-AhiXqfWK5bGJcULvEO3zMahcFgnJEsT1YvYsuc[/gd]

Google Spreadsheet
[gs]0AmOHO6Cm8vvAdFR2b0dMMnVwMUE0MlpXYnowWnowWWc[/gs]

Google Presentation
[gp]dcjktv94_1fcpptwqc[/gp]

So I'm wondering if this functionality might be possible for NSF, if not now then in the future?
It might be useful to be able to embed spreadsheets for reference, without storing them locally.

Just a thought.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #639 on: 04/21/2016 06:25 pm »
I saved a thread page locally and looked at resulting .html file.
Found this fragment:

<!-- Tapatalk Detect banner body end -->
        <div id="page_wrapper">
                <div id="wrapper" style="width: 1080px">
<header>

Deleted   style="width: 1080px"   thing, saved the file and reloaded the file. The blue left/right margins are now gone.

Is there any chance you guys can take a look into this? Why forum artificially limits the width of its pages?
« Last Edit: 04/21/2016 06:34 pm by gospacex »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography