Author Topic: Antares - Cygnus NG-10 - November 17, 2018  (Read 84691 times)

Online Lewis007

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Cygnus NG-10 - November 15, 2018
« Reply #80 on: 11/14/2018 06:49 am »
Time-lapse video of Antares roll-out

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 246
Re: Antares - Cygnus NG-10 - November 16, 2018
« Reply #82 on: 11/14/2018 03:05 pm »
Delayed:

The Launch of Northrop Grumman’s Antares rocket with Cygnus cargo spacecraft has been postponed due to the poor weather forecast for the original launch window on Nov. 15. The revised launch window now opens at 4:23 a.m. EST on Nov. 16 from Pad 0A of Virginia Space’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport, located at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.

Today’s Wallops range forecast for Nov. 15 assessed weather conditions at 90-percent unfavorable for a launch, with the main concerns being thick clouds, disturbed weather and low cloud ceilings. Heavy rainfall (1-2 inches) and high wind gusts (45-50 mph) are expected.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/northropgrumman/

-R C
« Last Edit: 11/14/2018 03:06 pm by grythumn »

Offline SciNews

• Romania
  • Liked: 737
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #83 on: 11/14/2018 04:14 pm »
Integration & rollout

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 6598
  • Likes Given: 61579
« Reply #84 on: 11/14/2018 04:25 pm »
More from Northrop Grumman CRS-10 Launch Postponed to Nov. 16 (some other interesting information morsels re: weather and the Friday and Saturday launch windows)
The launch of Northrop Grumman’s Antares rocket with Cygnus cargo spacecraft has been postponed due to the poor weather forecast for the original launch window on Nov. 15. The revised launch window now opens at 4:23 a.m. EST on Nov. 16 from Pad 0A of Virginia Space’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport, located at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.

Today’s Wallops range forecast for Nov. 15 assessed weather conditions at 90-percent unfavorable for a launch, with the main concerns being thick clouds, disturbed weather and low cloud ceilings. Heavy rainfall (1-2 inches) and high wind gusts (45-50 mph) are expected.

Rainfall looks to taper off early Friday morning, but strong northwesterly winds are still expected to affect the Eastern Shore during Friday’s backup count and launch window. Winds are expected to be sustained at 25-30 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Sea states will also be of concern with the prolonged high wind event: Seas are expected to be 8-12 feet during Friday morning’s count and slightly falling off to 8-10 feet during the launch window.

Conditions look to become quite favorable for a launch Saturday morning with high pressure building into the southeastern U.S. and the Eastern Shore, providing lighter winds and mostly clear to clear skies. One caveat to Saturday however, is that the system expected to impact the Wallops region Thursday will drag a strong front across Bermuda on Friday into early Saturday, providing potentially heavy rainfall and strong winds there prior to the launch window. At this time, conditions do look to improve enough in Bermuda prior to the expected T-0 Saturday morning with winds diminishing and light rainfall lingering.

Weather in Bermuda is a factor because NASA’s Bermuda Tracking Station supports tracking, telemetry, command and control of launches from both Wallops and Florida.
<snip>
« Last Edit: 11/14/2018 09:54 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5299
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #85 on: 11/14/2018 04:41 pm »
Dual Cargo Missions Set for Friday Launch and Sunday Delivery

Mark Garcia Posted on November 14, 2018

Dismal weather on Virginia’s Atlantic coast has pushed back the launch of a U.S. cargo craft to the International Space Station one day to Friday. Russia’s resupply ship is still on track for its launch to the orbital lab from Kazakhstan less than nine hours later on the same day.

Mission managers from NASA and Northrop Grumman are now targeting the Cygnus space freighter’s launch on Friday at 4:23 a.m. EST from Pad-0A at Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. Cygnus sits atop an Antares rocket packed with over 7,400 pounds of crew supplies, science experiments, spacesuit gear, station hardware and computer resources.

Cygnus will separate from the Antares rocket when it reaches orbit nine minutes after launch and begin a two-day journey to the station’s Unity module. Its cymbal-shaped UltraFlex solar arrays will then unfurl to power the vehicle during its flight. Expedition 57 astronauts Alexander Gerst and Serena Auñón-Chancellor will be in the cupola to greet Cygnus Sunday and capture the private cargo carrier with the Canadarm2 robotic arm at 4:35 a.m.

Russia rolled out its Progress 71 (71P) resupply ship today at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan where it stands at the launch pad for final processing. The 71st flight of a Progress cargo craft to the orbital laboratory is scheduled for launch Friday at 1:14 p.m. Cosmonaut Sergey Prokopyev will be monitoring the arrival of 71P when it automatically docks to the rear port of the Zvezda service module Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

Gerst and Prokopyev started Wednesday morning training for the arrival of 71P. The pair practiced commanding and manually docking the vehicle on a computer in the unlikely event the Russian cargo craft is unable to dock on its own. Gerst then moved on to Cygnus capture training after lunchtime with Auñón-Chancellor following up before the end of the day. NASA TV will cover live the launch, capture and docking of both Cygnus and Progress on Friday and Sunday.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2018/11/14/dual-cargo-missions-set-for-friday-launch-and-sunday-delivery/

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #86 on: 11/14/2018 05:12 pm »
- Aaron

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 6598
  • Likes Given: 61579
« Reply #88 on: 11/14/2018 09:49 pm »
If launch is delayed to Saturday 11/17, when will capture and berthing be?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #89 on: 11/14/2018 10:09 pm »
I was not aware of that STA change. Thanks!

But why was it necessary? Since the ThinSats are deployed after second stage separation, how is it that the MS-10 mishap is affecting the ThinSats at all? I am failing to see the connection.

It's the overall traffic.  No guarantee of getting a good track on them, so would have to wait for them to decay to have another launch (i.e. Progress) into the ISS plane.

16th is still available, but POV is bad.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline BigBob

• England
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #90 on: 11/15/2018 12:07 am »
Can I get some advice please?  I understand from the Northrop Grumman tweet referenced above that only 3 cubesats will be deployed.  My understanding was that the Antares - Cygnus NG-10 was carrying the Elana 21 cubesats, 9 in all, including KickSat 2 in which I have a special interest.  So now I'm confused.  The 'Upcoming ELaNa CubeSat Launches' page https://www.nasa.gov/content/upcoming-elana-cubesat-launches says 9 and the NG tweet says 3.  What am I missing?
Cheers!

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #91 on: 11/15/2018 12:25 am »
Can I get some advice please?  I understand from the Northrop Grumman tweet referenced above that only 3 cubesats will be deployed.  My understanding was that the Antares - Cygnus NG-10 was carrying the Elana 21 cubesats, 9 in all, including KickSat 2 in which I have a special interest.  So now I'm confused.  The 'Upcoming ELaNa CubeSat Launches' page https://www.nasa.gov/content/upcoming-elana-cubesat-launches says 9 and the NG tweet says 3.  What am I missing?
Cheers!

There was a reshuffling of the Cubesats after the Soyuz launch failures. NG-10 now only carries KickSat-2 for NASA's ELaNa program and CHEFsat-2 and MYSAT-1.  CHEFsat-2 and MYSAT-1 wil be deployed above the ISS orbit and KickSat-2 below.

Two of the ELaNa 21 cubesats (UNITE, TechEdSat 8) have been moved to SpX-16. For the others, i do not yet know.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2018 12:38 am by gongora »

Offline BigBob

• England
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #92 on: 11/15/2018 12:34 am »
Cheers!

There was a reshuffling of the Cubesats after the Soyuz launch failures. NG-10 now only carries KickSat-2 for NASA's ELaNa program and CHEFsat-2 and MYSAT-1.  CHEFsat-2 and MYSAT-1 wil be deployed above the ISS orbit and KickSat-2 below.

Two of the ELaNa 21 cubesats (UNITE, TechEdSat 8) have been moved to SpX-16. For the others, i do not yet know.
Ah thank you Gunter!  I get it now.  I subscribed to Zac Manchester's KickSat project and I have a tiny 'sprite' femto satellite on-board, one of many hopefully getting released after the Cygnus undocs from ISS in February.  We live in exciting times!
Cheers

Offline spacepat_o

• Maryland, USA
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #93 on: 11/15/2018 12:36 am »
Local observers be advised there is construction at the Ferry Dock. They appear to be installing a boat ramp.

Crew onsite did not have official word about viewing but I strongly suspect launch viewing will not be allowed. It is very much an active construction site with several pieces of heavy equipment and unstable ground.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #94 on: 11/15/2018 02:39 am »
Local observers be advised there is construction at the Ferry Dock. They appear to be installing a boat ramp.

Crew onsite did not have official word about viewing but I strongly suspect launch viewing will not be allowed. It is very much an active construction site with several pieces of heavy equipment and unstable ground.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the heads up! I'm still curious enough to check it out on launch day, though it would be quite a pain to have all my gear set up only to be kicked out later by police. I wonder if there will be a police presence guarding entry well in advance.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #96 on: 11/15/2018 03:37 pm »

Two of the ELaNa 21 cubesats (UNITE, TechEdSat8) have been moved to SpX-16. For the others, i do not yet know.
The switch of TechEdSat 8 was already known in August.
Iridium and NASA just learned that TechEdSat-8 has been added to the launch manifest for SpaceX-16, which is scheduled to be launched on December 1, 2018
So the Soyuz failure can´t be the reason.

Offline mainmind

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #97 on: 11/15/2018 03:50 pm »
If launch is delayed to Saturday 11/17, when will capture and berthing be?

It's shifted to about 05:30 Eastern on Monday the 19th.

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5299
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #98 on: 11/15/2018 03:54 pm »
Northrop Grumman’s CRS-10 Launch Postponed to Nov. 17

Rob Garner Posted on November 15, 2018

The launch of Northrop Grumman’s Antares rocket with Cygnus cargo spacecraft is now targeted for 4:01 a.m. EST Saturday, Nov. 17, from Pad 0A of Virginia Space’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport, located at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. NASA TV will provide launch  coverage with commentary online beginning at 3:30 a.m.

The teams decided to wait another day for launch after assessing continuing unfavorable weather conditions, including high winds and high seas, forecast for Friday morning. The forecast for a launch Saturday is significantly improved with a less than five percent chance of weather conditions preventing a launch.

Under NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services contract, Cygnus will carry about 7,400 pounds of crew supplies and hardware to the International Space Station, including critical science and research investigations. A launch Saturday would result in capture and berthing Monday, Nov. 19.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/northropgrumman/2018/11/15/northrop-grummans-crs-10-launch-postponed-to-nov-17/

Offline joseph.a.navin

• Freelance photojournalist/Reporter
  • Elon, North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #99 on: 11/15/2018 09:37 pm »
I live just a mile or so away from the Northrup Grumman MCC in Dulles, Virginia and and obviously in the same region as Wallops. The weather was awful and I am surprised they considered launching today since the weather models were in agreement with nasty weather, but I am also not surprised they moved to Saturday since its going to be much better. Does anyone know how they safe the site in regards to the Antares rocket once its vertical in windy or inclement weather.
Elon University class of 2024 | Past launches/events seen: Superbird-A2 on Atlas IIAS (Apr 2004), Discovery OV-103 ferry flight to Dulles (2012), NG-12, OFT-1, NG-13, Crew-2, NG-18

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography