Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-16 (Dragon SpX-16) : December 5, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 247889 times)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline mazen hesham

• Egypt
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 9
Do you think this will be on a new or reused booster ?

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Do you think this will be on a new or reused booster ?

As of right now, there aren't any sources saying whether a new or flight-proven booster will be used.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
Are there any obvious manifest changes for a mission likely to be in the window when Soyuz is still down?

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Are there any obvious manifest changes for a mission likely to be in the window when Soyuz is still down?

More importantly is there any point in sending Dragon up to a station that may need to be abandoned a week later?
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584

More importantly is there any point in sending Dragon up to a station that may need to be abandoned a week later?

More like a month later. Why not stock up for future crews? Anyway, there are other options than leaving ISS without a crew. For example, send up the next Progress as a test. Even if there is still doubt after a successful Progress flight, send the next Soyuz without crew so the current crew can stay for another six months.

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1595

https://twitter.com/ChrisG_NSF/status/1050425498071789568

Offline Olaf

• Germany

Offline Olaf

• Germany

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
It looks like SpX-16 is now in December.
https://twitter.com/TristanPrejean/status/1053366248590004224
Has to because NG-10 will be berthed N1N and HTV-7 is currently N2N. Unless they relocate PMA3 to N3 or Z1 there is no room until HTV-7 leaves.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Has to because NG-10 will be berthed N1N and HTV-7 is currently N2N. Unless they relocate PMA3 to N3 or Z1 there is no room until HTV-7 leaves.

Couldn't HTV-7 leave before Nov. 27?  Its planned duration was just under 2 months.  (I really wouldn't be surprised if CRS-16 slipped a little, just not sure that HTV-7 would be the reason.)
« Last Edit: 10/22/2018 08:38 pm by gongora »

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945

Couldn't HTV-7 leave before Nov. 27?  Its planned duration was just under 2 months.  (I really wouldn't be surprised if CRS-16 slipped a little, just not sure that HTV-7 would be the reason.)

They have to change the batteries on the solar panels so they need HTV-7 at the station for that. However, they also need more people trained on EVA's to do them, so maybe HTV-7 will stay longer until Soyuz MS-11 flies to the ISS. I would just unberth HTV-7 and let it free fly for a month or two until CRS-16 has left the station... but obviously I'm not the one making decisions and I could totally be wrong.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7397
  • Likes Given: 72455

They have to change the batteries on the solar panels so they need HTV-7 at the station for that. However, they also need more people trained on EVA's to do them, so maybe HTV-7 will stay longer until Soyuz MS-11 flies to the ISS. I would just unberth HTV-7 and let it free fly for a month or two until CRS-16 has left the station... but obviously I'm not the one making decisions and I could totally be wrong.

I had the same question about HTV departing and "station-keeping" with the ISS until after the battery replacement EVA's were completed, then returning and berthing so the replaced batteries could be stowed externally.

I cross-posted in the US EVA-52 and HTV-7 threads.

I hadn't gotten an answer yet.

New article
SpaceX lines up five launches to close out 2018, October 22, by Michael Baylor
« Last Edit: 10/23/2018 02:24 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
There was an information by anik in the NK forum about the possibility, that HTV-7 will leave the ISS when the US EVAs are performed.
Google translation
If I understand correctly, in the case of the US exits in December, the HTV-7 should leave after them.
http://novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/forum/messages/forum10/topic12565/message1808190/#message1808190

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Certified solo flight of 5 days docked, 45 days and stand by 7 days. Contingency loitering capability is unknown but I do recall that HTV onboard battery lifetime was a contributing factor in the numbers above.
https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/h/htv-7

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7397
  • Likes Given: 72455
Cross-post re: delay of launch to December:

Falcon 9 from pad 40 will launch the next Dragon resupply mission to the ISS, CRS-16, on December
at the earliest.
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html
« Last Edit: 10/24/2018 07:38 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
There was an information by anik in the NK forum about the possibility, that HTV-7 will leave the ISS when the US EVAs are performed.
Google translation
If I understand correctly, in the case of the US exits in December, the HTV-7 should leave after them.
http://novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/forum/messages/forum10/topic12565/message1808190/#message1808190
The above information is not correct.
https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2018/10/23/station-preps-for-japan-us-ship-operations-next-month/
The packed HTV-7 is due to be removed from the Harmony module with the Canadarm2 and released back into Earth orbit in November.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
Iridium and NASA just learned that TechEdSat-8 has been added to the launch manifest for SpaceX-16, which is scheduled to be launched on December 1, 2018
The question is now, only TechEdSat-8 or all ELaNa-21 satellites?
Are there any news to this topic?

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
October 31, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-161

NASA Invites Media to 16th SpaceX Cargo Launch to Space Station

Media accreditation now is open for the targeted Dec. 4 SpaceX launch from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) in Florida to deliver supplies, equipment and science investigations to the International Space Station.

A SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft is planned to launch on a Falcon 9 rocket at 1:38 p.m. EST on the company’s 16th Commercial Resupply Services contract mission. Media prelaunch and launch activities will take place at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center and neighboring CCAFS.

Media accreditation deadlines are as follows:

•   International media without U.S. citizenship must apply by 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4, for access to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, or by 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, for access to Kennedy media activities only.
•   U.S. media must apply by 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 27.

All accreditation requests should be submitted online at:
https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

For questions about accreditation, please email [email protected]. For other questions, contact Kennedy’s newsroom at 321-867-2468.

The International Space Station is a convergence of science, technology and human innovation that demonstrates new technologies and enables research not possible on Earth. The space station has been occupied continuously since November 2000. In that time, more than 230 people and a variety of international and commercial spacecraft have visited the orbiting laboratory. The space station remains the springboard to NASA's next great leap in exploration, including future missions to the Moon and eventually to Mars.

For launch countdown coverage, NASA's launch blog, and more information about the mission, visit:
https://www.nasa.gov/spacex
Jacques :-)

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags: CRS-16 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography