Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 2  (Read 465326 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 2
« Reply #880 on: 08/08/2014 06:32 pm »

So basically, under CRS NASA is purchasing a service (delivery of goods) from spacex / orbital and it's up to the commercial entities to provide the service.  Therefore the launches aren't government launches any more than FedEx delivering a package to NASA makes it a government delivery run, right?

Bingo

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #881 on: 08/08/2014 06:38 pm »

Thanks for your answer. So it seems that SpaceX will not disturb too many people, and they will probably have relatively few NIMBY's . Lets see how fast they can build their pad...

Hee Hee Hee.  I see you've not attended many meetings where the Sierra Club was protesting a wetlands development. :)

But generally, I believe you're right.
Bring the thunder!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #882 on: 08/08/2014 08:45 pm »

Michoud is in Louisiana
Thanks, I mixed it with Decantour, but corrected the post.The reasoning still applies the same.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #883 on: 08/09/2014 01:29 am »

Thanks for your answer. So it seems that SpaceX will not disturb too many people, and they will probably have relatively few NIMBY's . Lets see how fast they can build their pad...

Hee Hee Hee.  I see you've not attended many meetings where the Sierra Club was protesting a wetlands development. :)

My general understanding is that there is no development next to a rocket launching pad. The debris exclusion zone should keep the environment static for as long as there is an active pad.  ;)

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #884 on: 08/09/2014 06:44 pm »

My general understanding is that there is no development next to a rocket launching pad. The debris exclusion zone should keep the environment static for as long as there is an active pad.  ;)

Rockets launches ain't got nothing on subdivisions when it comes to habitat eradication.

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #885 on: 08/09/2014 09:05 pm »

Rockets launches ain't got nothing on subdivisions when it comes to habitat eradication.

Not to forget the decrease in arable land... big worry here for the past 50 - 60 years, in Southern Ontario... we seem to be growing more match box subdivisions than we are food... so, I am all in favour of Rocket Launch facilities, and Alligator Habitat / Manatee and SpaceX-Space-Cows ;-)
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861
« Reply #887 on: 08/13/2014 05:41 pm »

Very true, KSC and CCAFS are probably 95% nature.  Launch pads mostly consist of open space (buffer).

Combining content of two recent articles, one the need for fresh water at the facility and two the construction of a solar farm, I think a desalination plant to produce domestic water would be a better longterm investment than pipe lines or trucking.  Plus a little more SpaceX style.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #888 on: 08/15/2014 03:38 am »
McAllen, Harlingen join SpaceX incentive efforts

Economic development groups throughout the Rio Grande Valley are chipping in as Cameron County and other entities put together an incentive package for SpaceX, which is poised to construct the world’s first commercial launch pad at Boca Chica Beach.
http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/mcallen-harlingen-join-spacex-incentive-efforts/article_6dfece2c-2425-11e4-986d-0017a43b2370.html
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
« Reply #889 on: 08/15/2014 12:36 pm »
Same from Brownsville Herald, Harlingen, McAllen join incentive efforts
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premium/article_812ff410-2427-11e4-b455-001a4bcf6878.html
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography