Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424155 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Indeed, at around 1930 UTC they both started steaming towards the north-northeast at about 5 knots, aimed straight towards Long Beach.  They're currently 200 nm from LB, so our first arrival estimate would be 40 hours from now, or Tuesday morning.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 02:01 pm by Chris Bergin »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
I like your math better then mine and NRC Quest's...  ;)
Tuesday... midday seems more likely...  8)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
To bring this thread back on topic (ie. away from https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38111.0 that seems to have been left in a corner slowly starving...)

Many congratulations to the SpaceX team for a successful touchdown - on JRtI this time!! :) The touchdown seemed to be not only smooth but in a moderate swell also.

I notice they've given up hosing the deck down and, although the paint job seemed a little scorched, there appeared to be no obvious ill effects on the video and none of the usual flames and smoke.

I do wonder though: Do Falcons get sea-sick??  ;D

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
To bring this thread back on topic (ie. away from https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38111.0 that seems to have been left in a corner slowly starving...)

Many congratulations to the SpaceX team for a successful touchdown - on JRtI this time!! :) The touchdown seemed to be not only smooth but in a moderate swell also.

I notice they've given up hosing the deck down and, although the paint job seemed a little scorched, there appeared to be no obvious ill effects on the video and none of the usual flames and smoke.

I posted a bit of info about NRC quest - as to why I'm a bit doubtful it's towing JRTI - in the support ship thread. :)
Edit: it's not towing JRTI, I was wrong.

I wholeheartedly agree on congratulations to SpaceX and JRTI! It's been a long time coming for JRTI; all those kabooms, kablewyes, kabloonas, ka-bangs, etc.

Interesting observation about not hosing down the deck this time. I don't think that's just a JRTI thing, because I think they hosed it on Jason 3.

They do indeed seem to have omitted the post-landing burn this time.

« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 12:24 am by CJ »

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
Pacific Warrior last report 0h 5m ago
projections computed as straight line to Los Angeles
based upon current speed:
 arrival projected 1d 8h 47m from now
 which is Tue Jan 17 01:46 PST 2017
based upon average of last 10 reported speeds:
 arrival projected 1d 15h 23m from now
 which is Tue Jan 17 08:22 PST 2017

computed on data (including Sat-AIS)  from marinetraffic.com
« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 12:00 am by ehb »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943

I posted a bit of info about NRC quest - as to why I'm a bit doubtful it's towing JRTI - in the support ship thread. :)

I wholeheartedly agree on congratulations to SpaceX and JRTI! It's been a long time coming for JRTI; all those kabooms, kablewyes, kabloonas, ka-bangs, etc.

Interesting observation about not hosing down the deck this time. I don't think that's just a JRTI thing, because I think they hosed it on Jason 3.

They do indeed seem to have omitted the post-landing burn this time.
NRC Quest isn't a tug. It doesn't tow an ASDS. It's a logistics support vessel.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
NRC Quest isn't a tug. It doesn't tow an ASDS. It's a logistics support vessel.

OOPS, my bad. Thanks for the info - I'll go correct my posts.

I hope someone in the region will be dockside to get us some photos when JRTI and the F9 come in.

Online Chris Bergin

Let's have a dedicated thread for this one's return. Split out the latest posts to make that thread, but copy any useful posts from earlier in the thread over to the new thread:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42052.0
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Nick L

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
And Marmac 304 (OCISLY) is getting ready to be deployed:
Other photos were taken recently: http://imgur.com/a/WyJCG
Some blast walls are removed and one containers is higher than usual.

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
And Marmac 304 (OCISLY) is getting ready to be deployed:
Other photos were taken recently: http://imgur.com/a/WyJCG
Some blast walls are removed and one containers is higher than usual.

The title says 2016, is this a typo?

Edit: Or on a second read, is that December 1st 2016?
« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 10:18 pm by Saabstory88 »

Offline Zucal

• California
  • Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 17
I'm making a diagram of the ASDS, and am having trouble finding some dimensions. What's the distance between the start of the ASDS and the start of the wings on either end? Essentially, where do they start jutting out from the main body of the Marmac?

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 103
I'm making a diagram of the ASDS, and am having trouble finding some dimensions. What's the distance between the start of the ASDS and the start of the wings on either end? Essentially, where do they start jutting out from the main body of the Marmac?

You can use my model:
https://github.com/maximlevitsky/ASDS/blob/master/dimision_plan/top.svg

The dimisions of this SVG are such as each mm = 1 foot of real model and I tried my best to be as close as possible to the 304.

Note that now they moved things around, raised the container, etc  :( - I hope one day to update the model and actually finish it.

Offline Zucal

• California
  • Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 17
Do you know where you sourced the wing dimensions from?

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 103
Eyeballed everything. Cross checked with *lot* of images from any possible angle, and equipment for which some dimisions are known (thrusters, power units, containers,..).

Offline CyndyC

Last I looked over a year ago, the dimensions of the Marmac 304 and similar models were still Googleable, which of course you can subtract from the current dimensions.

Chris Bergin wrote an article about the ASDS in Nov 2014, and near the bottom there is a schematic showing the total dimensions and the dimensions of the bullseye. https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/11/spacex-autonomous-spaceport-drone-ship/
« Last Edit: 01/19/2017 01:27 am by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Online dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
Mr. Munroe does it again:

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
See also the hover-text:
My life goal is to launch a barge into the air and have it land on one of Elon Musk's rockets.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
See also the hover-text:
My life goal is to launch a barge into the air and have it land on one of Elon Musk's rockets.

Sometimes he does try too hard.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline rpapo

Bumming around, I found myself in the SpaceX online store, where I found this:

https://shop.spacex.com/accessories/spacex-luggage-tag-set.html

Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
Bumming around, I found myself in the SpaceX online store, where I found this:

https://shop.spacex.com/accessories/spacex-luggage-tag-set.html

I got them as a Christmas present this year! very excited.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography