Author Topic: What Aluminum does Soyuz use?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline mgfitter

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
What Aluminum does Soyuz use?
« on: 08/02/2014 08:21 pm »
Given the long history of the Soyuz (R7) booster, I would like to know if is it still made from an older (60's-era) specification aluminum alloy or has it been updated over the years?

I assume it was originally made from a Soviet equivalent to Al-2014 back in the 60's, but is it now made from something newer, more like Al-2219 or even equivalent to Al-Li-2095?

For that matter, does anyone know what the other Russian systems use? Proton, Zenit, Angara etc?

-MG.

Offline Prof68

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: What Aluminum does Soyuz use?
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2014 11:59 pm »
Main aluminium alloys used for any russian launchers before Angara are В95 for construction elements, Амг5 or Амг6 for tanks  (exception: 1201 alloy for cryogen tanks of Energia) and АК4 or АК6 for engines. See http://metallicheckiy-portal.ru/marki_metallov/alu/ for references to the russian alloys.
As far as I know, after initial design, russian designers do not change alloys of main stages.
One serious exception is modernization of Proton: Proton-M Phase I change alloys for construction elements to В96, and Proton-M Phase III now use 1201 alloy for 3rd stage tank.

Upper stages, fairings and adapter sections were redesigned time-to-time. Obviously, such parts are most important for weight saving purposes. But here Aluminium alloys are slowly lose ground to magnium, bor and berillium alloys or composites.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2014 04:11 am »
The Proton-M Phase IV was to introduce a change of alloy for the third stage; has that been introduced to the Phase III?

Offline mgfitter

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2014 05:11 pm »
Thanks, that's exactly what I was curious about :)

-MG

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2014 11:59 pm »
AFAIK, Амг6  is widely used on the Soyuz spacecraft, as well.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography