Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - X37B Flight 2 - Cape Canaveral - March 5, 2011  (Read 295048 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
Given what we know of the X37's specifications, could you quick-reaction launch an X37 atop an all-solid LV like Minotaur-IV/V or Athena-III?

There is a certain "Athena 3" like possibility that could lift the mass, though I'm not sure it could handle the payload fairing.  It would use a three-segment SRB-like booster, topped by what would essentially be an Athena 2c.  Or variations thereof.  I figure Falcon 9-like capability to LEO, in solid form.  It could fly from KSC, or a new pad at Kodiak.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 06/19/2012 02:35 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
I've been wondering about the post-landing center of gravity, based on the landing gear location.  I would have expected more mass on the back end, where the engine is located. 

- Ed Kyle
Hey Ed!

We have to remember we are dealing with an aircraft in atmospheric flight (not a rocket) in landing, so cg is forward of center of lift. Hence the main gear is located about the center of lift (or just rear of). As you need to increase AoA at landing as lift decreases allowing a de-rotate and slapdown.

~Robert

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/trim.html

Thanks, Robert.  It looks like X-37B has a CG substantially further forward than Shuttle orbiters, based on percent of total body length.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 06/19/2012 02:33 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I've been wondering about the post-landing center of gravity, based on the landing gear location.  I would have expected more mass on the back end, where the engine is located. 

- Ed Kyle
Hey Ed!

We have to remember we are dealing with an aircraft in atmospheric flight (not a rocket) in landing, so cg is forward of center of lift. Hence the main gear is located about the center of lift (or just rear of). As you need to increase AoA at landing as lift decreases allowing a de-rotate and slapdown.

~Robert

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/trim.html

Thanks, Robert.  It looks like X-37B has a CG substantially further forward than Shuttle orbiters, based on percent of total body length.

- Ed Kyle
Agreed, from what I’ve seen on Shuttle returning hardware was always located aft in the cargo bay.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Another X-37B writeup:  China May Be Suspicious of US Air Force's X-37B Space Plane

http://www.space.com/16283-china-x-37b-space-plane-concerns.html

this made Yahoo news but this link is cleaner.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Another X-37B writeup:  China May Be Suspicious of US Air Force's X-37B Space Plane

Heck, there are a lot of people in the west who have their suspicions about the X-37B.  I've ready op-eds from people on both sides of the political divide talking (either negatively or positively) about 'space fighters' and 'space drones'.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92
The goal of the X-37 is reusability. Because of the airframe mass its maneuverability in orbit is less than that of a conventional satellite. Fitting it to a DOD mission is tough. One clue to me is the Aerospace Corp. study for DOD which demonstrated that only a fully reusable launch system could significantly reduce the cost of space operations.  http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/beyondnextgen.html
According to study author Jay Penn the DOD is funding studies of a reusable flyback booster stage. A vehicle like the X-37 makes sense as an upper stage for such a reusable launch system.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
. A vehicle like the X-37 makes sense as an upper stage for such a reusable launch system.

X-37 is a spacecraft and not an upperstage

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
The goal of the X-37 is reusability.

Not true

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92

Not true
Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
"The Boeing X-37 (also known as the X-37 Orbital Test Vehicle) is an American reusable unmanned spacecraft."

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5

Not true
Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37
"The Boeing X-37 (also known as the X-37 Orbital Test Vehicle) is an American reusable unmanned spacecraft."

What it is is not the same as what its' goal is.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
Looking back at various quotes from Air Force and Boeing officials, I find that both typically say that X-37B, especially OTV-2, is a technology demonstrator for reusable space vehicle technologies.  Boeing noted that the demonstration was for "affordable" reusability, while the Air Force said that the return capability was important for low-risk testing of new technologies. 

But note that several years into this program, nothing about the spacecraft itself has, as yet, actually been reused as far as I can tell.  Maybe the payload is the real thing being reused.  Or maybe, as Jim hints, reuse is a ruse.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 07/09/2012 01:44 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306

But note that several years into this program, nothing about the spacecraft itself has, as yet, actually been reused as far as I can tell.  Maybe the payload is the real thing being reused.  Or maybe, as Jim hints, reuse is a ruse.

- Ed Kyle

I believe the up coming X-37b launch will be reusing the first vehicle.

Quick brain fart question, is the OTV designation for the mission or the vehicle.  ie. Will the next launch be OTV-3, or will it be OTV-1 flight 2?
« Last Edit: 07/09/2012 02:18 pm by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
Quick brain fart question, is the OTV designation for the mission or the vehicle.  ie. Will the next launch be OTV-3, or will it be OTV-1 flight 2?

OTV-3 is the mission designation, and it will be a re-flight of the first airframe.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306

OTV-3 is the mission designation, and it will be a re-flight of the first airframe.

Thanks, the caffeine had not kicked in yet, I blame the prices at Starbucks.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
Looking back at various quotes from Air Force and Boeing officials, I find that both typically say that X-37B, especially OTV-2, is a technology demonstrator for reusable space vehicle technologies.  Boeing noted that the demonstration was for "affordable" reusability, while the Air Force said that the return capability was important for low-risk testing of new technologies. 

- Ed Kyle

Maybe it's too early into the program for anything definitive to have been decided as per the development of future technologies/vehicles from it?

It's hard for anyone to say when only a limited amount is known outside of DOD circles about the goals & aims of the program.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2012 04:38 pm by Star One »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography