Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - X37B Flight 2 - Cape Canaveral - March 5, 2011  (Read 295036 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Some pics from Boeing and USAF:

Anyone notice something in this pic?
Looks like the placement of a window?

nope, just different whiter TPS for the top of the vehicle and the doors use a higher temp TPS

No the location I'm talking about is above the electronics bay.   The location your talking about might be the solar panel door?

We are still waiting on the pics of you standing in front of an X-37B.  Hint, Hint
« Last Edit: 06/17/2012 01:14 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0

Is a description of the autopilot/autoland system X-37 uses available?  I looked around but didn't find anything very specific.
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
Thanks. The picture from the back showed that engine significantly off-center, with enough room to mount another one next to it, so I thought there might have been two.

There were plans for two engines at one time, discussed in a Boeing paper that I can't find right now.  Perhaps costs or mission changes forced, or allowed, use of only one engine and the easiest way to implement the change was to simply install only one of two while keeping the hardpoints for two.

Just guessing though.

- Ed Kyle

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Do you think the X37c a upgrade of X-37B will be built.
No.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Why should Boeing do this without funding?

Because they did 707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787 without subsidy. Eventually deep pocket, Old Space is going to have to act like the rest of their company and not like the parts that have been unweaned from NASA and the DoD.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline apace

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
Because they did 707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787 without subsidy. Eventually deep pocket, Old Space is going to have to act like the rest of their company and not like the parts that have been unweaned from NASA and the DoD.

If Boeing has preorderings like in the airplane market, I'm sure they will do it, but there exist no such market!

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report

Boeing got a $42 billion (today's dollars) contract to build more than 800 KC-135 tankers at the dawn of the jet age. 

Plus $50 billion plus for B-52, plus more than $40 billion for B-47, etc.

The company has cashed its share of government checks.

- Ed Kyle

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
I've been wondering about the post-landing center of gravity, based on the landing gear location.  I would have expected more mass on the back end, where the engine is located. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline Prober

• Nevada
I've been wondering about the post-landing center of gravity, based on the landing gear location.  I would have expected more mass on the back end, where the engine is located. 

- Ed Kyle

The solar Panel location has some balance & the payload.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
If the engine is pressure fed and the tanks are empty, then there would not be much mass in the tail.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline hpras

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 2
my experience with model rocketry (IANARS, obviously) was that you weighted up the nose so the CoG was ahead of the CoP, and then it was aerodynamically stable.  Maybe something to do with it, but recall my disclaimer. :)

- Ed Kyle

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900

I wouldn't be surprised if X37 is nose-heavy. The nose compartment is probably very densely-packed with avionics plus the fuel system for the nose RCS and the RCS package itself.

Additionally, as Kevin rightly points out, with the MPS prop tanks empty or near-empty there probably isn't much mass aft of the main gear either.

[edit]
Now, this is going to annoy Jim, but I'd like to know.  Given what we know of the X37's specifications, could you quick-reaction launch an X37 atop an all-solid LV like Minotaur-IV/V or Athena-III?
« Last Edit: 06/19/2012 09:13 am by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152

I wouldn't be surprised if X37 is nose-heavy. The nose compartment is probably very densely-packed with avionics plus the fuel system for the nose RCS and the RCS package itself.

Additionally, as Kevin rightly points out, with the MPS prop tanks empty or near-empty there probably isn't much mass aft of the main gear either.

[edit]
Now, this is going to annoy Jim, but I'd like to know.  Given what we know of the X37's specifications, could you quick-reaction launch an X37 atop an all-solid LV like Minotaur-IV/V or Athena-III?

X-37B is about 5 t. Minotaurs lift <2 t, Athena <3 (AFAIK). So no. But an SRB-X... :D

Offline Prober

• Nevada

[edit]

X-37B is about 5 t. Minotaurs lift <2 t, Athena <3 (AFAIK). So no. But an SRB-X... :D

try non NRO a Delta II class launcher.

Offline Jason1701

[edit]

Non NRO? What does that mean? Are you thinking of a specific launcher that I forgot about?

Offline Prober

• Nevada

[edit]

Non NRO? What does that mean? Are you thinking of a specific launcher that I forgot about?

NRO =secret payload, fairing covered like in the Atlas V.    X-37B is only about 11,000lbs.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9

[edit]

It's a launcher from that California company that hasn't qualified their fairing yet, and isnt qualified to launch critical DOD payloads yet. I don't think they would qualify for a "quick-reaction" launch either, given their record of on-time launches.

Offline Jason1701

[edit]

It's a launcher from that California company that hasn't qualified their fairing yet, and isnt qualified to launch critical DOD payloads yet. I don't think they would qualify for a "quick-reaction" launch either, given their record of on-time launches.

The original question was about all-solid launch vehicles, so I don't see how the last few posts are relevant.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Silly me, I thought you where referring to Antares ;)

I mean after all in this post shuttle era, they are the only launch provider left that has experience with wings on the ELV ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523

- Ed Kyle
Hey Ed!

We have to remember we are dealing with an aircraft in atmospheric flight (not a rocket) in landing mode, so cg is forward of center of lift. Hence the main gear is located about the center of lift (or just rear of). Rocket motors are generally hollow expensive pieces of metal compared to a packed (dense) piston engine. You need to increase AoA at landing as lift decreases allowing a de-rotate and slapdown.

~Robert

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/trim.html

Edit: to add
« Last Edit: 06/19/2012 02:33 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston