Author Topic: FY19 NASA Budget Request  (Read 31470 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Re: FY19 NASA Budget Request
« Reply #20 on: 02/13/2018 11:08 pm »
One of the interesting thing that this budget does is that it refocuses NASA on exploration as opposed to just a science agency. We have debated the merit of this in other threads but it seems that the administration has decided that this is the direction that they want to take. For the most part, it seems that NASA will essentially be doing the same things (SLS, Orion, Space Technology, etc.) in rebranded programs. But it will likely affect what future programs are pursued. 

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #21 on: 02/13/2018 11:17 pm »
The sad part is that it is nearly a flat line budget in the out years, meaning no adjustment for inflation, and reduced 'actual' working capital.

How NASA is expected to make these dreams a reality is beyond me.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #22 on: 02/13/2018 11:51 pm »
The sad part is that it is nearly a flat line budget in the out years, meaning no adjustment for inflation, and reduced 'actual' working capital.

The budget deal is only for 2 years. What will happen after that is anybody's guess. In other words, the numbers for the out years shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Incidentally, updated FY19 budget numbers are supposed to come out tomorrow that reflect the recent budget deal.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2018 11:56 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #23 on: 02/14/2018 04:29 pm »

If NASA got out of the launch-vehcle business, which it doesn't seem to be very good at, and instead bought launch services, it could do more with less.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #24 on: 02/15/2018 12:16 am »
« Last Edit: 02/15/2018 12:17 am by yg1968 »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #25 on: 02/15/2018 01:00 am »

If NASA got out of the launch-vehcle business, which it doesn't seem to be very good at, and instead bought launch services, it could do more with less.

The way government works, they would just reduce the amount they give NASA...

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #26 on: 02/15/2018 12:12 pm »

The way government works, they would just reduce the amount they give NASA...

Fine with me.
Please reduce headcount accordingly.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18201
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #27 on: 02/16/2018 06:24 am »
President Trump wants his moonshot without paying for it

http://spacenews.com/president-trump-wants-his-moonshot-without-paying-for-it/

The linked article is an analysis of how this president's space goal will likely go nowhere, like those of nearly all presidents before him.

Quote from: Thomas G. Roberts
NASA’s topline budget will be flat for the foreseeable future — which means an effective decrease in real dollar funding for the agency. As a result, President Trump may see his Moon plans come crashing down to Earth.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #28 on: 02/16/2018 07:46 pm »
He seems to be advocating for an increase in NASA's budget which seems unlikely and unncessary.

He also criticizes the 5 year freeze but as I said above, the 5 year freeze is because the budget deal only covers 2 years. I would take that 5 year freeze with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2018 07:48 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #29 on: 02/16/2018 07:51 pm »
My bets are on it happening largely without them -

you would lose

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #30 on: 02/16/2018 09:45 pm »

you would lose
Some commercial space companies have had some successes in space, that's great, good for them.  The pivot to commercializing space is a natural direction for humans.  But some people are ready to burn down the establishment that allowed/provided/supported and continues to support them during the "trials and tribulations" of spaceflight. 
According to my hearing, all appears great as evidenced by the chorus of applause and jeers of excitement as these modern milestones in space are played out.  Through all this acoustic stimulation, I am able to sense something else, not unappreciation, but perhaps underappreciation of hesternal achievement in space.  Though the "flavour" is slight, it IS there.  It's akin to someone making some tea, and after the "perfect" 4 minute steep, they wring the daylights out of the teabag.  Such actions leave a "bitter" taste in my mouth. 
Without NASA and the people working within(past, present, future) there would be very little spaceflight related activity, to be tasted or to be heard.

I remember the NASA budget graphs that showed the massive amounts of budget that would be available for use after Shuttle was T&R'd.  Some of the graphs were more than 1/2 Shuttle related.
Paul

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #31 on: 02/17/2018 08:46 am »

you would lose

Careful there Jim. That is your opinion, and your opinion only. Much like AncientU's opinion is his only.
You might wanna try adding "IMO" to your posts.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2018 08:46 am by woods170 »

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #32 on: 02/18/2018 09:21 pm »
Seems to me I have heard this song before... or a similar tune, in 2009-10... I panicked then, but I won't panic now... The ebb and flow of support for Science / Exploration will swing with the pendulum of time, and we will see a return to science... Keep Calm and Carry On :D This is just a bit of Scotch Mist...
as for WFIRST, wasn't it a mothballed program to begin with... so worst comes to worst, it will be put back into storage, waiting for better days..
Science, well, there will be some science that will have to be done regardless, so perhaps the private sector can step up to the plate.... just as Cities did after America abandoned the Paris Climate Accord
American / World's capacity for ingenuity is quite large.. Now where is "Radar" O'Reilly when you need him???
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: 02/19/2018 06:33 am »
Now where is "Radar" O'Reilly when you need him???

He is either out fishing or collecting stamps.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #34 on: 02/19/2018 02:51 pm »
Seems to me I have heard this song before... or a similar tune, in 2009-10... I panicked then, but I won't panic now... The ebb and flow of support for Science / Exploration will swing with the pendulum of time, and we will see a return to science... Keep Calm and Carry On :D This is just a bit of Scotch Mist...
as for WFIRST, wasn't it a mothballed program to begin with... so worst comes to worst, it will be put back into storage, waiting for better days..
Science, well, there will be some science that will have to be done regardless, so perhaps the private sector can step up to the plate.... just as Cities did after America abandoned the Paris Climate Accord
American / World's capacity for ingenuity is quite large.. Now where is "Radar" O'Reilly when you need him???

Science isn't being cut. There is less priority on climate change but that is about it. The Trump administration tried to cut the same climate change missions last year but it didn't work. Appropriation bills need Democratic support in the Senate (60 votes are required). So Earth science ends up not being cut at all. 
« Last Edit: 02/19/2018 02:52 pm by yg1968 »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #35 on: 02/19/2018 08:26 pm »
According to the White House proposed FY 2019 #NASA budget Mars Opportunity Rover funding ends in 588 days. nasa.gov/sites/default/… @MarsRovers @NASA

https://twitter.com/nasawatch/status/965693354058055680

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #36 on: 02/20/2018 05:22 am »
According to the White House proposed FY 2019 #NASA budget Mars Opportunity Rover funding ends in 588 days. nasa.gov/sites/default/… @MarsRovers @NASA

https://twitter.com/nasawatch/status/965693354058055680

Notice that NASA support to Mars Express ends in FY 2020 and Mars Odyssey in FY 2021.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #37 on: 02/21/2018 08:36 pm »
This is exactly the wrong time to retreat from space

On July 20, 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin bounded across the lunar surface as Michael Collins orbited above. We now sail across our solar system. Rovers gambol on Mars, the Cassini spacecraft just plunged through a gap in the rings of Saturn, and the Voyager spacecraft soars into interstellar space, more than 13 billion miles away, still sending back signals to Earth.

But proposed budgets drastically cut support for telescopes that tell us about the universe’s origins and spacecraft that trace the changes on our home planet. And the United States has stood on the sidelines as nations across the world develop the next generation of land-based optical observatories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/this-is-exactly-the-wrong-time-to-retreat-from-space/2018/02/20/befd8dd6-15bc-11e8-930c-45838ad0d77a_story.html

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
FY19 NASA Budget Request
« Reply #38 on: 03/07/2018 08:06 pm »
New article from Mr Foust.

House members question balance of NASA programs in 2019 budget proposal

A particular area of concern for Bera was the plan in the budget proposal to cancel the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope, or WFIRST, the next flagship astrophysics missions at NASA after the James Webb Space Telescope. WFIRST, he noted, was the top priority large mission in the 2010 astrophysics decadal survey, where astronomers prioritized mission concepts for the next decade.

“The decadal survey has served us well, and not looking at this scientific-based prioritization and moving away from that can certainty set a dangerous precedent,” Bera said.

Lightfoot tried to downplay the effects of the proposed cancellation on astrophysics research. Asked later in the hearing by Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ind.) about the consequences of not flying WFIRST, Lightfoot suggested other missions, including the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) scheduled to launch in April, could fill in.

“We’re counting on TESS and James Webb to fill the astrophysics needs for quite a bit of time,” he said, but acknowledged there would be a “gap” in data. “To the astrophysics community, that’s a challenge from a scientific perspective.”

Babin also reminded Lightfoot that NASA had yet to deliver both the ISS transition plan and an exploration roadmap required by last year’s NASA authorization bill. Those documents were supposed to be delivered to Congress last December. Lightfoot later said that the exploration roadmap should be delivered by the end of the month.

http://spacenews.com/house-members-question-balance-of-nasa-programs-in-2019-budget-proposal/
« Last Edit: 03/07/2018 08:13 pm by Star One »

Offline yg1968

« Reply #39 on: 03/07/2018 11:22 pm »
Hearing - An Overview of the NASA Budget for Fiscal Year 2019
House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Witness: Mr. Robert M. Lightfoot Jr., acting administrator, NASA
https://science.house.gov/legislation/hearings/subcommittee-space-overview-national-aeronautics-and-space-administration

Here is the archived video (starts at 25m):

« Last Edit: 03/08/2018 02:53 pm by yg1968 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography