Author Topic: Orbital ATK Next-Gen Satellite Servicing  (Read 5170 times)

Offline primer_black

• Virginia
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 24
Orbital ATK Next-Gen Satellite Servicing
« on: 03/13/2018 12:49 pm »
Looks like an announcement is expected this afternoon at Satellite 2018:

Orbital ATK is a leader in the emerging space logistics market and is currently developing the industry’s first commercial satellite servicing vehicle, known as the Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV)™.

Orbital ATK President and Chief Executive Officer David W. Thompson and SpaceLogistics President Tom Wilson are scheduled to announce the company’s newest robotic satellite servicing vehicle at a general session titled, “Reuse, Revitalize, Repurpose – How In-Orbit Satellite Servicing is Changing the Economics of Space” on Tuesday, March 13 at 2 p.m. Joining them is Stephen Spengler, Chief Executive Officer of Intelsat, who will share his perspective as the customer for the first two Mission Extension Vehicles now in production.

https://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/release.asp?prid=332

Offline TrevorMonty

Re: Orbital ATK Next-Gen Satellite Servicing
« Reply #1 on: 03/13/2018 03:21 pm »

Peter B. de Selding (@pbdes) tweeted at 10:34 AM on Tue, Mar 13, 2018:
Shotwell @SpaceX: Satellite servicing ideas were born in part in response to high launch prices. As prices come down we'll see what the actual demand is. #SATShow
(https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/973311268034670597?s=03)

Shotwell is not seeing long game here. These servicing vehicles will evolve and enable development of Persist Platforms in GEO which shift demand from launching large GEO sats to small payloads for platforms. I can see future market for delivery of few 100kgs direct to GEO.

The same technology that builds and services PP could also build large space solar power satellites, these will need large payloads delivered from earth. Along ISRU supplied bulk construction materials.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
« Reply #3 on: 03/14/2018 03:36 am »
Peter B. de Selding (@pbdes) tweeted at 10:34 AM on Tue, Mar 13, 2018:
Shotwell @SpaceX: Satellite servicing ideas were born in part in response to high launch prices. As prices come down we'll see what the actual demand is. #SATShow
(https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/973311268034670597?s=03)

I would think that cheaper launch prices would make in-orbit servicing even more viable! Spacecraft are still very expensive to buy. Here are some screen grabs.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #4 on: 03/14/2018 08:57 am »
Cheaper to extend life of operational satellite especially as payback on MEP is year or two. While payback on new GEO satellite could 5-10yrs and launching into market that is continously changing.
There is a chance MEP and MEV will even slow production of new GEO satellites.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #5 on: 07/30/2018 10:37 pm »
Northrop Grumman’s Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV)

Northrop Grumman
Published on Jul 30, 2018

SpaceLogistics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Northrop Grumman, provides cooperative in-orbit satellite servicing to geosynchronous satellite operators using its fleet of commercial servicing vehicles. Our initial servicing vehicle, the Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV)™ docks with customers’ existing satellites providing the propulsion and attitude control needed to extend their lives.

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/SpaceLogistics/Pages/default.aspx

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #6 on: 07/30/2018 10:38 pm »
Northrop Grumman Announces New Mission Extension Pods (MEPs)

Northrop Grumman

During the SATELLITE 2018 Conference and Exhibition, Northrop Grumman, a leader in the emerging space logistics market, debuted the next generation of in-orbit satellite serving technology with the introduction of Mission Extension Pods (MEPs)™ and the Mission Robotic Vehicle (MRV)™. These two products join Northrop Grumman’s Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV)™, creating a suite of in-orbit satellite servicing products focused on extending the life of existing satellites.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 07/30/2018 10:39 pm »
MEV Mission Profile

Northrop Grumman

In less than a year after announcing its first customer contract, Northrop Grumman has made significant progress in developing its new satellite life extension service. The innovative technology, a first in the industry, gives satellite operators the capability to extend the life of a healthy satellite. Northrop Grumman remains on track to introduce its in-orbit satellite servicing system with the Mission Extension Vehicle-1 (MEV-1). The vehicle is currently under production at the company’s satellite manufacturing facility in Dulles, Virginia.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography