Author Topic: Chandrayaan-2 Mission - Launch and Landing Coverage  (Read 579899 times)

Offline Gaganaut

• India
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: GSLV-MkII, Chandrayaan-2, NET 2018-Q1
« Reply #120 on: 02/22/2014 02:52 pm »
Potential Landing spots for Chandrayaan-2 identified

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-landing-spots-for-chandrayaan-2-identified-1963786

Minister of state for PMO V Narayanaswamy recently announced in the Parliament that the mission, which is likely to take place in 2016-17, is progressing well with Isro having identified landing spots on the lunar surface. The two scientific payloads onboard the Chandrayaan-1 terrain mapping camera had captured a number of images of the lunar surface, which have been used for zeroing in on the designated spots.

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #121 on: 05/11/2014 04:19 am »
Chandrayaan’s rover and the moon rocks from Salem villages

Rocks from Sithampoondi, Kunnamalai are similar in properties to moon soil

As commands erupt into life, a 17-kg rover, akin to the rover of Chandrayaan-2, revs up. It turns right, then left, lurches forward and backs up.

We identified Sithampoondi, from where we excavated 60 tonnes of rocks which are geologically similar to the lunar composition. We made a special effort to pulverise the rocks to various sizes ranging from 30 to 200 microns and mix them in various proportions to match the chemical and mechanical properties of the lunar soil to study the rover’s movements on it in a simulated environment.

Since the gravity on the moon is one-sixth of the earth’s gravity, a helium-filled balloon which will lift five-sixths of the rover’s weight is being used in the lunar terrain facility.

We have realised a six-wheeled rover and it is being tested in the lunar terrain facility. The design work on the lander is in progress in ISRO.

Weighing 20 kg, it will move about on the moon for one lunar day, that is, 14 earth days, Dr. Annadurai said. It would be loaded with commands for turning to the left and right, for going forward and backing down.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/chandrayaans-rover-and-the-moon-rocks-from-salem-villages/article5996869.ece
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32733
  • Likes Given: 8158
« Reply #122 on: 05/12/2014 07:43 am »
That article also says the landing is in 2017. Maybe someone should update the thread title.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #123 on: 05/12/2014 04:02 pm »
That article also says the landing is in 2017. Maybe someone should update the thread title.
Done!

Offline antriksh

« Reply #124 on: 08/05/2014 02:24 pm »
Chandrayaan 2

Chandrayaan 2, India’s second mission to the Moon, is an advanced version of the previous Chandrayaan-1 mission. It consists of an Orbiter, Lander and Rover configuration. It is planned to be launched as a composite stack into the Earth Parking Orbit (EPO) of 170 X 18,500 km by GSLV-Mk II. The Orbiter carries the combined stack up to moon till the Lunar Orbit Insertion (LOI). The combined stack is then inserted into a lunar orbit of 100 km x 100 km. The Lander is separated from the Orbiter in this orbit.
The Orbiter with scientific payloads will orbit around the moon. The Lander will soft land on the Moon at a specified site and deploy the Rover. The scientific payloads onboard the Orbiter, Lander and Rover are expected to perform mineralogical and elemental studies of the lunar surface.

The payloads onboard Orbiter and Rover are finalised and the payload development is progressing at various ISRO centres/laboratories. A six wheeled Rover has been realised and initial tests on the Lunar terrain test facility has been carried out. Since the Lander development is a new technology for ISRO, Lander configuration and feasibility study has been carried out for Chandrayaan-2 mission in a GSLV-Mk II vehicle. The Lander payloads are shortlisted for further review. Landing site identification, soft landing strategy, hazard avoidance, preliminary design of lander subsystems, new technologies required for safe and soft landing are being worked out.

Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #125 on: 08/05/2014 02:32 pm »
Thanks for the updates, antriksh. Will the orbiter be based on an ISRO satellite bus (I-2K/I-3K/I-4K?) or PAM-G?

Offline antriksh

« Reply #126 on: 08/05/2014 02:36 pm »
Thanks for the updates, antriksh. Will the orbiter be based on an ISRO satellite bus (I-2K/I-3K/I-4K?) or PAM-G?

Orbiter will be from chandrayaan 1 with integration interface for the lander.

Updates are from  ISRO annual report 2014.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #127 on: 08/05/2014 03:09 pm »

Thanks. I think Chandryaan 1 was based on ISRO IRS (I-1K) bus.

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #128 on: 08/05/2014 08:41 pm »

ISTR reading in multiple sources that the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter will use the I-3K bus.

Offline antriksh

« Reply #129 on: 08/06/2014 02:07 am »

ISTR reading in multiple sources that the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter will use the I-3K bus.

if I am not mistaken, GSLV mk2 cannot handle I3k + lander + rover
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline antriksh

« Reply #130 on: 08/06/2014 03:06 am »
Looks like lander will have 3 clustered engines as main engine. It would probably be derived from PAM-G.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8

Offline antriksh

« Reply #132 on: 08/11/2014 07:59 am »
Simulating reduced weight and traction under lunar gravity using Helium balloon for CHandrayan 2 rover prototype.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline johnxx9

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #133 on: 09/24/2014 05:04 pm »
K Radhakrishnan interview: Success due to tireless efforts of Isro team

7. When will Chandrayaan-2 be launched?
Chandrayaan-2 mission will be totally an Indian mission, configured with an Orbiter, Lander and Rover for in-situ investigation of the lunar surface. A six wheel Rover has been realised and initial tests have been conducted in the lunar terrain test facility. Besides, the development of Indian Lander involves many new technologies in the areas of navigation, control and guidance, sensors, soft landing and so on. Based on the present assessment of the progress, we may be in a position to launch it in 2016-2017 timeframe.

Offline antriksh

« Reply #134 on: 10/17/2014 10:04 am »
Source  ???

(U) During a recent visit to Indian Space Research Organization
(ISRO) in Bangalore, SciCouns met with Mr. Annadurai, Project
Director for 'Chandrayaan I' and observed the integration process of
the two US instruments on the spacecraft.  Discussions were also

NEW DELHI 00002295  002.2 OF 005

held regarding possible collaboration on 'Chandrayaan II'. NASA is
considering sending an advanced RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric
Generator) power source (generates power from a 238 Plutonium heat
source) aboard 'Chandrayaan II'.
  This could be mission
enabling/enhancing for 'Chandrayaan II'.  Because the advanced RTG
has moving parts, NASA is seeking a flight opportunity to qualify it
prior to its use on long duration outer planetary missions.  India
has also recently joined eight nations (US, Canada, Germany, Italy,
Japan, South Korea, France and England) to develop new technologies
for exploratory robotic manned missions to the moon.

6.  (U) NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Director Dr. Charles
Elachi visited ISRO on August 20 with the objective of exploring
collaborations on planetary missions.  Mission will forward the
readout from this meeting.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8270
« Reply #135 on: 10/17/2014 03:10 pm »
That should be the Advanced Stirling radioisotope generator, but that project was put on hold last year. Besides, it would require to nuclear rate the GSLV-MkII. May be they decided that no NASA missions wanted the risk (and certification cost) of the ASRG, and the project was ballooning in cost. But if the Indians are willing to take the risk, and the hourly cost of Indian analysts (for the certification) is cheap (or payed by ISRO), then they could retire risk for very cheap.
And, if you consider the problems with the pellet pressing bed, the reduced Pu238 requirement of the ASRG gets very interesting. In fact, they might be trading pushing the new bed now against finishing and certifying the ASRG. Pure uninformed speculation.

Offline GClark

« Reply #136 on: 10/17/2014 05:42 pm »
I'll add some uninformed speculation of my own.

Perhaps they have confused RHUs and ASRGs/MMRTGs?

Offline baldusi

« Reply #137 on: 10/17/2014 06:16 pm »
I'll add some uninformed speculation of my own.

Perhaps they have confused RHUs and ASRGs/MMRTGs?
If that where the case, where did they get this part?

[...]Because the advanced RTG has moving parts, NASA is seeking a flight opportunity to qualify it prior to its use on long duration outer planetary missions. [...]
That's the only reason I speculated about the ASRG, specifically. I don't see use of an RHU on a Mars orbiter. Besides, to my knowledge, there's nothing else nuclear that actually needs to be qualified.
Of course that an RHU has some uses for a rover, and an MMRTG would be invaluable for the polar exploration of Mars. I simply don't see NASA tapping its scarce stash of Pu238 on a technological demonstrator of another nation unless they get a lot in return. I can only think of qualifying the ASRG. Nothing else comes to mind of what's probably the scarcest resource for NASA right now.

Offline GClark

« Reply #138 on: 10/18/2014 06:37 am »
Oh, I agree with you there.  The description certainly sounds like an ASRG.

I also agree re: PU-238.  I just don't see NASA re-starting ASRG for this without an infusion of $$ and I really don't see it being flown on someone else' vehicle/rover.

Not sure where you got a Mars orbiter from.  I thought this was about the Chandrayaan 2 lunar rover?  I can see an RHU or ASRG for that use.

I wonder what/who is the source and what was really written/said.  I try to keep in mind what others have posted about Indian media.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #139 on: 10/18/2014 12:56 pm »
You are absolutely right its (apparently) for Chandrayaan-2. I'm not a good multitasker :-)
Clearly anything on the surface can take advantage of Pu238. AIUI, even Chang'e 3 and Yutu have RHU. An advantage of going to the Moon is that there are not the costs associated with planetary protection regulations. Just "don't hit Apollo 11 landing site".

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography