Author Topic: LIVE: Chinese CE-5-T1 (Chang'e 5 precursor) - CZ-3C/G2, Xichang - Oct. 23, 2014  (Read 237653 times)

Offline BabaORileyUSA

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 17
The TLEs provided in the 4M document (above) do NOT appear to be based on a launch at 23/1800Z October 2014 (unless there is a missing 3+-hour parking orbit).  Does anyone know what reference launch date and time these TLEs ARE referenced to?  The perigee of the initial translunar orbit is almost 4 hours after launch, and I'm thinking it should be about 10 to 20 minutes after launch....

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Am I being far too optimistic in hoping for live launch coverage?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
the AMSAT link above says

The launch will be broadcast by CNTV/CCTV

Offline satwatcher

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 100
The TLEs provided in the 4M document (above) do NOT appear to be based on a launch at 23/1800Z October 2014 (unless there is a missing 3+-hour parking orbit).  Does anyone know what reference launch date and time these TLEs ARE referenced to?  The perigee of the initial translunar orbit is almost 4 hours after launch, and I'm thinking it should be about 10 to 20 minutes after launch....

The first elset reaches perigee around 18:30UT. Note that the perigee is well within the radius of the Earth. Perhaps the software you use does not know how to deal with this.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

The Chinese finally officially acknowledges today that this little spacecraft is flying tomorrow (early Friday local time).....  ::)

More information coming soon.....

P.S. It looks like the earlier reported launch time of 17:59 UTC is the correct one.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online plutogno

The Chinese finally officially acknowledges today that this little spacecraft is flying tomorrow (early Friday local time).....  ::)

will we finally see what a mini Shenzhou-on-a-Chang'e-bus looks like?
and of course, it would be nice to know what happens to the bus after releasing that capsule...

will we finally see what a mini Shenzhou-on-a-Chang'e-bus looks like?
and of course, it would be nice to know what happens to the bus after releasing that capsule...

;)

http://news.cntv.cn/2014/10/22/VIDE1413951603331360.shtml
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
That's funny. I got a different video on that link. I've brightened some of the images above and attached screen captures of the video I got, as well as the video itself. It looks like the spacecraft will be doing a burn around the Moon. I'm not sure if this is to go into orbit and back out again, or to speed up the return journey, like Apollo 13.
« Last Edit: 10/22/2014 09:59 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline satwatcher

That's funny. I got a different video on that link. I've brightened some of the images above and attached screen captures of the video I got, as well as the video itself. It looks like the spacecraft will be doing a burn around the Moon. I'm not sure if this is to go into orbit and back out again, or to speed up the return journey, like Apollo 13.

The video you attached shows what I think is a lander (it has landing legs) performing a descent burn. It looks quite different from the satellite bus in the still images. It may be that the video is a simulation for the Chang'e 5 lander.

The video you attached shows what I think is a lander (it has landing legs) performing a descent burn. It looks quite different from the satellite bus in the still images. It may be that the video is a simulation for the Chang'e 5 lander.

Close. It is Chang'e 3.  ;)

BTW the official statement today explicitly mentions that the return capsule will make a skip re-entry prior to landing in central Inner Mongolia.  ::)

Offline satwatcher

Close. It is Chang'e 3.  ;)

BTW the official statement today explicitly mentions that the return capsule will make a skip re-entry prior to landing in central Inner Mongolia.  ::)

Ah, ok.

Is there a time reported for landing?

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Depending on how rounded the planned flight time is, with four days to the Moon and four days back it might be possible to enter selenocentric orbit for a day or so.   On the other hand I would expect the Chinese to go for a Zond/L-1 class loop around the Moon and return to Earth, thus simplifying what is a challenging mission for them..
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online plutogno

a two-part reportage on CE-5-T1 from CCTV:

they also depicted the skip reentry

Online plutogno

and another video. it shows the bus maneuvering out of collision course with Earth (at 1:22). the question remains: will it be reused somehow?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
and another video. it shows the bus maneuvering out of collision course with Earth (at 1:22). the question remains: will it be reused somehow?

Yes, seems to be the case. burn could be enough to return to the moon as it seems have some camera instuments onboard. since I dont speak or read Chinese language someone would need to check the documents/people for us.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
From the above video.

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Gerês - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156

Yes, seems to be the case. burn could be enough to return to the moon as it seems have some camera instuments onboard. since I dont speak or read Chinese language someone would need to check the documents/people for us.

But could that maneuver be done only with the service module engine? If the separation between the return capsule and the service module takes place on the way to Earth after circumnavigating, will the service module had enough delta-V to make a return to the Moon maneuver or will it pass through the Earth and in a slingshot maneuver return to the Moon?

Offline Chris Bergin

Cool! So live TV and 17:59 UTC T-0. We'll convert this into a live thread. Rui has an extensive article for the event! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online plutogno

shedding a lot of its mass after releasing the capsule, the bus may have enough Delta-V to enter orbit around the Sun (for ex doing a propulsive maneuver at the second perigee). I would not be surprised if they pulled out a second asteroid flyby "à la Chang'e-2".
we'll see...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography