Author Topic: The suborbital thread!  (Read 1139918 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7921
  • Likes Given: 7365
Re: The suborbital thread!
« Reply #2260 on: 11/09/2023 03:54 am »
Student-Built 9,000lbs (40kN) Rocket Engine - Space Concordia

Sep 20, 2023
SC Rocketry is proud to announce the successful double firing of Starsailor's flight engine Stewart! The Stewart engine still holds the world record for the most powerful liquid rocket engine ever built and tested by a university team with a whopping 40kN of thrust.

As part of the Launch Canada competition in Timmins, Ontario, SCRD test fired their engine TWICE for 10 seconds each! This is the longest run time the team has ever performed. This is a major step towards obtaining launch authorization from Transport Canada, as tests like these provide us with the data required to properly model Starsailor's flight path.

We would like to extend a massive thank you to the organizations who made this possible. Thank you to Launch Canada for hosting us at the competition, thank you to the incredible firefighters from Mattagami First Nation who took time out of their day to ensure our tests went well, and thank you especially to each and every member of the SC Rocketry team, without which none of this would have happened!

Note to viewers: KEEP AN EYE ON THE SKELETON

Space Concordia did produce a #U cube-sat and was launched on an F9 and deployed from the ISS:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=54081.msg2503078#msg2503078

https://www.youtube.com/@SpaceConcordia

« Last Edit: 11/09/2023 04:01 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2261 on: 11/09/2023 10:04 am »
Amateur Rocket HUD to Mach 4.2 and 293,000 ft

Jan 28, 2023
The video features a telemetry overlay of a record breaking amateur rocket flight to 293,000 ft.   Strap yourself in and enjoy gauges displaying altitude, speed, Mach number, and g-loads.  All of this data was captured by the on-board avionics which featured a Kate 3.0 flight computer from Multitronix.  The camera taking the on-board video is a GoPro Hero 9 with 4.35mm lens.  The GoPro was modified by the company Back-Bone Gear Inc. located in Ontario Canada. 

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31752
  • Likes Given: 7738
« Reply #2262 on: 11/11/2023 03:04 am »
The video above is of MESOS, which flew to 89.5 km altitude on 4 October 2022.

« Last Edit: 11/11/2023 03:11 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4645
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #2263 on: 11/14/2023 06:19 am »
DLR MORABA SOAR CAMPAIGN: Day 1
« Last Edit: 11/14/2023 06:21 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #2264 on: 11/14/2023 06:04 pm »
https://andoyaspace.no/news-articles/launch-of-soar/
SOAR is an abbreviation for “Single-stage Operational Assessment of Red Kite”, and is a project between the German space agency DLR and Bayern-Chemie GmbH which aims to develop a new solid fueled rocket motor called Red Kite.
This was the first launch of a Red Kite stage; after the series of static firing test at Esrange.

AFAIK the next launch planned with the Red Kite solid rocket motor is MAPHEUS-14. This time with Red Kite as first stage and Improved Malemute (surplus PAC-2) as second stage. Launching from Esrange NET Februari 2024

DLR also reintroduced the Black Brand V rocket into it's suborbital program.
So the rockets used by DLR MoRaBa is diversifying. 
« Last Edit: 11/14/2023 06:16 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 439
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #2265 on: 11/14/2023 09:55 pm »
https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-facilities/wallops/nasa-wallops-to-support-sounding-rocket-launches/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=NASAWallops&utm_campaign=NASASocial&linkId=248337073

NASA Wallops to Support Sounding Rocket Launches

Two sounding rockets are scheduled to launch for the Department of Defense from NASA’s launch range at Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. The launch window is Nov. 15-17, 2023. No launch times will be provided.

No real-time launch status updates will be available. The launches will not be livestreamed.

The rocket launches are expected to be visible from the Chesapeake Bay region.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #2266 on: 11/15/2023 05:00 am »
Some screen captures of SOAR.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2267 on: 11/15/2023 05:28 am »
Some screen captures of SOAR.

Here's an edited cut of just the launch until the onboard video concluded.

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
« Reply #2268 on: 11/19/2023 07:37 am »
NASA Wallops to Support Sounding Rocket Launches

Two sounding rockets are scheduled to launch for the Department of Defense from NASA’s launch range at Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. The launch window is Nov. 15-17, 2023. No launch times will be provided.

No real-time launch status updates will be available. The launches will not be livestreamed.

The rocket launches are expected to be visible from the Chesapeake Bay region.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-facilities/wallops/nasa-wallops-supports-hypersonic-rocket-launches/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=NASAWallops&utm_campaign=NASASocial&linkId=249072338
NASA Wallops Supports Hypersonic Rocket Launches
NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility supported the launch of two suborbital sounding rockets on Nov. 15, 2023, for Navy Strategic Systems Programs (SSP), and the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), in coordination with Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (NSWC Crane) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense’s Test Resource Management Center (TRMC) Multi-Service Advanced Capability Hypersonic Test Bed (MACH TB).

This subscale test was executed by Sandia National Laboratories. Data collected from this test will be used to inform the development of the Navy’s Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS), MDA’s hypersonic defensive capability, and to mature other hypersonic technologies.

Can anyone identify the rocket in the picture? Thanks

« Last Edit: 11/19/2023 07:38 am by Fmedici »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 924
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #2269 on: 11/19/2023 11:14 am »

It appears to be a Terrier Terrier Improved Malemute combination.
IIRC, this combination has not flown before.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 761
« Reply #2270 on: 11/20/2023 02:45 am »

It appears to be a Terrier Terrier Improved Malemute combination.
IIRC, this combination has not flown before.

I agree with Gunter!
Note the URL to the pic mentions "H4H".  The first three H4H launches in Oct 2021 appeared to use two-stage Terrier Improved Malemute rockets.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2023 02:50 am by jcm »
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #2271 on: 11/20/2023 03:44 am »
The first three H4H launches in Oct 2021 appeared to use two-stage Terrier Improved Malemute rockets.

Are you sure? They look like Terrier Malemute's to me.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1899496

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2272 on: 12/01/2023 06:15 am »
Update:  It didn't launch it ended on a 20-minute hold.  It was heavy snow. But ultimately it wasn't made know on the livestream why is was scrubbed.

« Last Edit: 12/01/2023 09:55 am by catdlr »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2273 on: 12/02/2023 01:45 am »
A new launch VLive Stream session has started.  Although it dark right now.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2274 on: 12/04/2023 04:20 pm »
Launch of MAIUS from Esrange Space Center

Dec 4, 2023
At 08:30 on December 2nd 2023, the MAIUS-2 rocket was launched from the Esrange Space Center outside Kiruna. In the MAIUS-2 rocket campaign, the German space agency DLR continues its research into what is known as the Bose-Einstein condensate.

« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 04:20 pm by catdlr »

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
« Reply #2275 on: 12/04/2023 04:22 pm »

Dec 4, 2023
At 08:30 on December 2nd 2023, the MAIUS-2 rocket was launched from the Esrange Space Center outside Kiruna. In the MAIUS-2 rocket campaign, the German space agency DLR continues its research into what is known as the Bose-Einstein condensate.

Is it me or this is the first launch from the Skylark tower in quite a while?

Offline catdlr

« Reply #2276 on: 12/04/2023 04:31 pm »

Dec 4, 2023

Is it me or this is the first launch from the Skylark tower in quite a while?

I went back two years and didn't find one launched from the tower.  So Yes.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 04:32 pm by catdlr »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 924
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #2277 on: 12/04/2023 04:56 pm »
The first three H4H launches in Oct 2021 appeared to use two-stage Terrier Improved Malemute rockets.

Are you sure? They look like Terrier Malemute's to me.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1899496

I think the first three used Malemutes motors which all featured so far an olive-drab color.
Improved Malemutes motors have an orange color with a white-colored longitudinal stripe.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 04:58 pm by Skyrocket »

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
« Reply #2278 on: 02/04/2024 02:42 pm »
Swedish Space Corporation has an incoming launch window stretching from 5 to 11 February. The safety notice mentions five expected rocket launches. Two of them should be TEXUS 59 and TEXUS 60 (initially scheduled for January per their Rocket and Balloon Activities page), the other three T-MINUS Dart launches.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2024 02:43 pm by Fmedici »

Offline Nico from the Hague

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2279 on: 02/04/2024 07:04 pm »
According to their post t-minus are only launching two t-minus darts in the time window of the notice.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7158457069522636800/

Today the first group of the T-Minus launch team left for a road trip: up to the High North, to Esrange Space Center.
They bring the T-Minus mobile launcher, from which we will conduct two launches of the T-Minus DART to space next week. This is done in the PRIME campaign. The rockets will carry scientific payloads made by the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), to study the upper atmosphere.
The rockets will be launched from the newly established Launch Complex 3 at Esrange, from which future orbital missions will be launched. T-Minus will have the honour to use the brand new Launch Vehicle Integration Building for preparations as well as Pad 3A for placing the mobile launcher.
#TME #Rocket #DART #KTH #Esrange

Swedish Space Corporation has an incoming launch window stretching from 5 to 11 February. The safety notice mentions five expected rocket launches. Two of them should be TEXUS 59 and TEXUS 60 (initially scheduled for January per their Rocket and Balloon Activities page), the other three T-MINUS Dart launches.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography