Author Topic: SEEC 2007 Conference  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Anu

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
SEEC 2007 Conference
« on: 12/04/2006 09:46 pm »
Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone else is going to be at the Space Exploration Educators Conference at JSC in Feb? Myself and a colleague are presenting on the Saturday.....we're flying in from London on the Wed (7th Feb) - it'd be great to meet anyone else from the NASASpaceFlight community!

Anu

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: SEEC 2007 Conference
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2006 09:52 pm »
Welcome to the site Anu.

Who are you representing?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Anu

Re: SEEC 2007 Conference
« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2006 10:02 pm »
Hi Chris

Thanks for the welcome! Have been on a few times to post messages over the last year - but generally am just a reader! Myself and my colleague (Dr S Wilkinson) are both UK teachers at the largest school in Europe (Great Barr in Birmingham). We're running a presentation using the context of 'Mars as the abode of life ' (courtesy of Lowell!) to show experiments and demos that can be used in Physics and Chemistry teaching (esp at Levels 10-12 in the US system). I've been out to both JSC and KSC before, helping out with UK teacher programs but for Sandy (my colleague) it's a first-time visit - he still can't quite believe he's going to be there in a few months - what a treat for a first transatlantic crossing! Our project is also being used as a pilot educational scheme by the National Space Centre in Leicester....we're currently part of a drive on all fronts (educational, industrial, etc) to persuade the UK govt to change its approach to space and the UK's involvement. It's called the UK 'CASE for Space', goes before the Government soon and with a bit of luck we might see Britain finally upping its involvement with ESA and the manned space programme...

Offline Anu

« Reply #3 on: 12/04/2006 10:07 pm »
Chris............Just realised you're based in the UK and so are fully aware of the Case for Space...........whoops!

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: SEEC 2007 Conference
« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2006 11:08 pm »
Only too well. I hope we do something as the UK, not by way of token money thrown at ESA....but I can dream, I suppose ;)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2006 11:28 pm »
Are you against the UK being involved with ESA?
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #6 on: 12/05/2006 12:10 am »
David AF - 5/12/2006  12:11 AM

Are you against the UK being involved with ESA?

Me? No. I'm against us being uncommited. It's been churned over time and time again on the British Space Agency thread about how little we get out of our role with ESA, but we're not the major partners in that.

Ask anyone on the street in the UK about what ESA is and no one knows. Yet everyone knows NASA. NASA inspires more UK people to get involved or interested in space flight than ESA does by a huge factor. But it would be very desirable to have something that has the same pulling factor that NASA does under a British Flag.

Either that or get fully involved with ESA - although I'm not sure how the British public would feel about a "European" co-op deal.

Offline [email protected]

• Liked: 0
SEEC 2007
« Reply #7 on: 02/13/2007 03:06 am »
Just got back and wanted to chat with anyone else who was there!!!  It was awesome! :)

Offline mlbixler

RE: SEEC 2007
« Reply #8 on: 02/13/2007 10:36 pm »
[email protected] - 12/2/2007  10:06 PM

Just got back and wanted to chat with anyone else who was there!!!  It was awesome! :)

The SEEC was amazing! This was my first year to attend, but most definitely not my last. There were so many sessions I wanted to attend...choosing was almost impossible! The things I learned changed not only the way I think about teaching, but the way I think about my own life!

Offline Anu

« Reply #9 on: 02/16/2007 09:46 pm »
Got back to UK on Tuesday from a superb conference. Lots of shenanigans relating to the delivery of LN2 for our presentation, but all went well in the end. Fantastic experience, great people and a real exemplar for what we should be doing in the UK. The JAXA group were fantastic!

Offline [email protected]

« Reply #10 on: 02/17/2007 07:49 pm »
Just saying hello!  We are the Birmingham Alabama folks that were there with you at SEEC.  Tell me about the end of your trip after the conference.  Where did you go? and what did you see?  We are applying for the downlink to the June shuttle launch.  Wouldn't that be a thrill????

Suzanne and Martha

Offline Anu

« Reply #11 on: 02/18/2007 04:06 pm »
Hi guys - sorry we didn't get a chance to say bye properly. Sandy and I had dinner in the evening with some NASA engineers we knew along with Jean-Loup Chretien joining us - a superb evening. Then on Sunday spent a lot of time with engineer Kevin Mellett......we're hoping to develop some physics resources based around the 'Saturday Morning Science' stuff filmed by Dr Don Pettit when he was the Expedition 6 Science Officer. Forgot to mention.....I was also intoduced to the delights of 'all you can eat' crawfish Cajun-style.....an 'interesting' experience! Thanks for everyone being so welcoming to us on our hop across the pond. I'll be in touch via email and can send you our resource DVD. [email protected]

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography