Author Topic: Orbital ATK's Antares/Cygnus OA-5 Launch viewing  (Read 13067 times)

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
Orbital ATK's Antares/Cygnus OA-5 Launch viewing
« on: 08/08/2016 08:26 pm »
Anyone else planning on watching OA-5? It's two weeks out, and haven't heard much since the NASA Social notice.

As usual, jmsjr's excellent map:

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

I'll probably be at Arbuckle unless I decide to try out the big telescope/mirror lens at the Old Ferry.

-Bob

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Re: Orbital ATK's Antares/Cygnus OA-5 Launch viewing
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2016 02:24 pm »
They say that you should get there one hour in advance.

But I was wondering, how much of a traffic delay should I expect when driving there?

Any other useful tips? 
« Last Edit: 08/09/2016 02:43 pm by yg1968 »

Offline grythumn

« Reply #2 on: 08/09/2016 04:21 pm »
They say that you should get there one hour in advance.

But I was wondering, how much of a traffic delay should I expect when driving there?

Any other useful tips?

Arbuckle Rd parking fills up fairly quickly (along the side of the road); if you get there later, expect a decent walk to the viewing area. It's not a formal viewing spot, just public land facing the launch point.  There are generally police there, directing parking and making sure you don't trespass onto the fields. The acoustics are really nice, you get a solid rumble there and an excellent view. I suggest a folding chair, 30% DEET spray, and waterproof shoes... most of the drier areas fill early.

Old Ferry is generally much less crowded, a bit further away, and has better parking. You can hang out on the piers, but they move enough to make using a tripod annoying. A better location in many ways, but less rumble. (I've gotten there 10 minutes before launch once, due to poor planning on my part, and got some decent photos.) When I was there for the LADEE launch, the night sky was rather spectacular to this suburbanite.

I've been told the Visitor Center fills up too, but it's so much further away I've never tried it. They often have mission-specific T-shirts and patches.

I haven't had trouble with traffic on the eastern shore, personally, but rush hour over the Severn River' and Bay Bridges can get interesting.

I get minimal connectivity with my prepaid T-Mobile plan; post-paid (which can use the AT&T towers), AT&T and Verizon do much better.

-Bob

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2016 02:20 am »
From the Update/Discussion thread:

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/757577518677303296
[Bill] Gerst[enmeier]: still planning next Antares/Cygnus launch to ISS for Aug 22, but “some challenges” to overcome to meet that date.

I might wait until I heard what these "challenges" are and what the status of overcoming them is before I put money down on airplane tickets and hotel rooms...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline cycleroadie

• Launches: 131, 133, Curiosity, ORB-2, EFT-1
  • Apalachin, NY , Doug Hurley's from here :-)
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: 08/10/2016 11:27 am »
From the Update/Discussion thread:

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/757577518677303296
[Bill] Gerst[enmeier]: still planning next Antares/Cygnus launch to ISS for Aug 22, but “some challenges” to overcome to meet that date.

I might wait until I heard what these "challenges" are and what the status of overcoming them is before I put money down on airplane tickets and hotel rooms...

I agree, it's been EXTREMELY quiet from NASA and / or Orbital lately concerning this launch. Considering the targeted date is only 12 days away, I would expect to hear more about it. I'm expecting it to slip due to this, but that's just my gut instinct, I could be wrong.
Lloyd
"As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. God bless the crew of Apollo 17." - Commander Gene Cernan , Apollo 17

Offline spacepat_o

• Maryland, USA
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: 08/10/2016 01:36 pm »
https://twitter.com/flatoday_jdean/status/763366112784515081
Orbital ATK says 1st launch of ISS cargo from Wallops on redesigned Antares rocket pushed back about month to 2nd half of Sept.

Official update from Orbital ATK:
http://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/feature-stories/OA5-Mission-Page/default.aspx?prid=92
Due to a variety of interrelated factors, including the company’s continuing processing, inspection and testing of the flight vehicle at Wallops Island, and NASA’s scheduling of crew activities on the International Space Station in preparation for upcoming cargo and crew launches, Orbital ATK is currently working with NASA to target a window in the second half of September for the launch of the OA-5 mission. A more specific launch date will be identified in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: 08/10/2016 01:40 pm by spacepat_o »

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 08/10/2016 01:46 pm »
Anyone else planning on watching OA-5? It's two weeks out, and haven't heard much since the NASA Social notice.

As usual, jmsjr's excellent map:

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

I'll probably be at Arbuckle unless I decide to try out the big telescope/mirror lens at the Old Ferry.

-Bob

Great first post! That map is a great resource for non locals (well I suppose for locals not in the know as well!).

I normally watch launches from a friend's house located next to the Assawoman post office (we have a party out back of his place until and often after launch). It isn't as close as arbuckle, but he has AC, a kitchen, a bathroom, NASA TV, internet, etc. This time, however, I'm going to try for a closer place at my girlfriend's parent's dock near Wishart Point. I just hope it doesn't push into the last week of September because I'll be out of town on vacation...

Excited to see a large orbital (as opposed to sub-orbital... which are still fun to watch by the way!) vehicle launch again! I've watched several of the Minotaur vehicle launches out of WFF and all of the Antares launches. I'd hate to miss this one.

Also, to elaborate on the traffic situation, I can confirm that trying to show up an hour before should be fine at any of the viewing sites except for the visitor center. That will fill up very quickly. I'd not want to watch from there though as it's rather far away compared to a lot of other sites. The old ferry dock is a good place to watch from, as someone mentioned.

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #7 on: 09/27/2016 11:48 pm »
Do we know the status of Arbuckle Neck Road? Can we still view near the water?

Thanks!

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #8 on: 10/10/2016 06:25 pm »
Hey, Antonioe, think you can source a KML file for the OA-5 launch like you did for Antares-One? 

I just got this... not sure how it works... I think the first color is stage 1, the next stage 2, the third the post-burnout maneuvers (payload sep, C/CAM)

ALso, some views from points of interest (make sure 3-D buildings are on)

Courtesy Carlos Niederstraser, Orbital

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #9 on: 10/12/2016 04:08 pm »
Nice article from Space.com on the viewing opportunities along the mid-Atlantic coastline. 

Maps courtesy of Orbital ATK. 

http://www.space.com/34348-nighttime-private-rocket-launch-east-coast-visibility.html

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #10 on: 10/15/2016 04:36 pm »
Anyone going to the Old Ferry Dock for the launch tomorrow?  I'll tweet my progress at @jsmjr

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #11 on: 10/16/2016 12:00 am »
Anyone going to the Old Ferry Dock for the launch tomorrow?  I'll tweet my progress at @jsmjr

Thanks to your fantastic map, I'm planning on being there tomorrow. I had originally hoped to view from Arbuckle Neck, but I called the visitor center earlier today and was told that Police will be blocking public entry starting around 12noon (although I have no idea if that means if anyone hoping to camp out could enter before that and not be kicked out).

Do you think Old Ferry Dock will become quite crowded? I'm not sure exactly when I should try to be there to get a good spot.

I've never witnessed any launch in person, so any useful tips would be greatly appreciated. Prior to the 2014 incident, I had been planning to come down for the next launch. It's been a long, but worthwhile wait. Also, I've been reading these forums for a long time, but this is my first post. You guys are awesome!

Offline grythumn

« Reply #12 on: 10/16/2016 02:34 am »

I plan to be there tomorrow... I was going to shoot a few prelaunch shots from Arbuckle, but it sounds like that won't be an option.

-Bob

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #13 on: 10/16/2016 02:16 pm »

I plan to be there tomorrow... I was going to shoot a few prelaunch shots from Arbuckle, but it sounds like that won't be an option.

-Bob

Any updates from on-site would be very helpful.  Not getting there until later after driving from DC.

Offline tk3d

• 3D artist
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: 10/16/2016 02:57 pm »
I will be coming from NJ (some 4 hours one-way...), still undecided where to go (also will be my first time)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #15 on: 10/16/2016 06:00 pm »
Whelp, no launch today (Sunday).  Try, try again on Monday.  My status is now uncertain for attending, but at least I found out before I left the house.

BTW, I found that the ESVA tourism folks now have a page devoted to launch visitors.  Lists some viewing sites (including Arbuckle Neck Road!) as well as - useful for today - suggestions on what to do in case of delays.  Check it out.

http://www.esvatourism.org/space/landing_page_space.asp
« Last Edit: 10/16/2016 06:01 pm by jsmjr »

Offline smith5se

« Reply #16 on: 10/16/2016 08:29 pm »
Arbuckle will be closed according to police, road block was to be set up today at 4pm but wasn't needed. Will be blocking the road again tomorrow they said around the same time.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #17 on: 10/17/2016 12:44 pm »
Ok, got the last room for tonight at the EconLodge in Pocomoke City MD, so I'm driving down for the launch tonight. I'm hoping to get into Arbuckle before it is closed, but Old Ferry will be my backup. Hope you see some of you there!!
Jack

Offline smith5se

« Reply #18 on: 10/17/2016 02:52 pm »
Ok, got the last room for tonight at the EconLodge in Pocomoke City MD, so I'm driving down for the launch tonight. I'm hoping to get into Arbuckle before it is closed, but Old Ferry will be my backup. Hope you see some of you there!!

Arbuckle will be closed and cleared of folks FYI. So even if you get there before, don't plan on staying.

See you all at the other location. Will be my daughters first launch!
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Ketone

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 10/17/2016 03:25 pm »
Does anyone know why the Arbuckle Neck viewing site is closed?  Is it because of complaints by residents, or did they expand the safety exclusion zone a little bit after the Antares was modified?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography