Author Topic: SpaceX Section Realignment and Thread Housekeeping - Upcoming  (Read 44774 times)

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
* SpaceX General
* SpaceX Missions
* SpaceX Vehicles
* SpaceX Facilities
* SpaceX Speculation
* SpaceX Megathread Archive

Love it.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 07:43 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1828
  • Likes Given: 8710
SpaceX Company:
   Facilities and Factories (other than pads),
   Pads,
   Vessels, Aircraft and/or Vehicles owned or chartered by SpaceX,
   Customers, Contracts, Hearings and Talks,
   Leadership.

SpaceX Operations:
   Mission Updates,
   Mission Discussion,
   Manifests, Movements and Tests.

SpaceX Operational Rockets and Spacecraft:

Launchers:
      Falcon 9,
      Falcon Heavy.

Spacecraft:
      Dragon1,
      Dragon2.

SpaceX Technology:

Propulsion:
      Merlin Family,
      Draco Family,
      Raptor (included here because it's been fired).

Working in Space:
      Structures,
      Vacuum and EVA (Suits, Rovers, etc. when they are close to operational)
      GNC,
      Computing,
      General Life Support.

SpaceX Future:

BFR/BFS,
   Operating on Other Worlds:
      Mars (including ISRU),
      Moon,
      Other Worlds.
   Other Commercial Uses for the BFR/S.

SpaceX Party.

Obviously fluid as subjects move from power-point to reality.

« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 08:06 am by darkenfast »
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
If SpaceX Mars becomes BFR, where do old Red Dragon threads get archived? Just a thought.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
If SpaceX Mars becomes BFR, where do old Red Dragon threads get archived? Just a thought.

That was an announced and later canceled mission, so "SpaceX Missions".

And I still prefer a general "Vehicles" section anyway...
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 08:43 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline CuddlyRocket

I'd have the following sections:

* SpaceX General Section
  * SpaceX Missions Section

These are fine as as. You need an 'other' section to catch those matters that don't fit in subject-specific sections. In can include the corporate stuff and the activities of Elon and other executives. Missions section is also fine - it will be a long time before there are that many missions you need to start sub-dividing.

* SpaceX Launch Vehicles and Satellites

Re-named from the Reusable Rockets Section (keeps a lot of threads in the appropriate section). 'Launch' so as not to include transporters, boats, mobile cranes etc. Put satellites here because it's space technology and there's only one at the moment (Starlink).

* SpaceX Facilities Section

One for the factories, offices, launch sites, testing grounds, docks etc. Plus the SpaceX navy!

* SpaceX Future Section

Perhaps Future Intentions, so as to not include the marginal or wilder speculations - 'intentions' means something SpaceX have said they intend to do, or have given serious thought to doing as part of their planning.

This would include missions to Mars, the Moon etc. So renamed from SpaceX Mars.

Then the Megathread Archive Section if desired.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
I think as well as some of the suggestions upthread, I think a new section in 'General':

'Low Cost Space', How lowering costs may impact all areas of space operations.

May have value.

Stuff that is not SpaceX related, other than as a payload.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
SpaceX Company (or corporate? Or simply "SpaceX". Specifically/directly about it and its locations and related ventures)
SpaceX Missions and Tests (anything in a mission flow start (test?) to finish (recovery/disposal)
SpaceX Current Vehicles/Pads (vehicles/facilities in use or under construction? F9/F9US/Dragon/FH/BFS, 39A, 40, 4E, LZ1 ...)
SpaceX Current Vehicle Recovery/Reuse (actual practice and economics of the business, effectively how does it yield)
SpaceX Future/Other Vehicles (not in use or under construction (like BFR), ITS/F1/F5/BFS tanker?)
SpaceX Plans and Options (include Mars, moon base, other)

I like these with the addition of:

SpaceX Starlink
SpaceX Megathread Archive
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 09:31 am by MikeAtkinson »

Online 2megs

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 65
Right now at this moment, I don't think Starlink has enough posts to warrant its own section. There are only two threads, and they're fine. Once they start launching them, the missions would fall under a Missions/Operations section.

Similarly, actual BFR/BFS development is fairly low-traffic. There's just not enough information flowing to fill a section. This will ramp up at the same rate that Falcon ramps down.

So I'd like to see:

* SpaceX Space Development - Things they are actually working on, that go up and down, that aren't part of a specific mission. Dragon, Merlin, Raptor, Falcon, Grasshopper, fairing recovery, composite tanks, BFR/BFS itself, Block 5 and beyond, space suits, ECLSS, and yes Starlink here too.

* SpaceX Missions/Operations - Day to day putting stuff into space. Move the Core Spotting and Launch Log threads here from General, but otherwise this stays the same awesome section that it is.

* SpaceX Facilities/Infrastructure - The boats, the pads, the factories, Nomadd's plant.... Everything they're working on that's necessary to go up and down, but doesn't go up or down itself.

* SpaceX Future - All the aspirational things about 1km-wide orbital fuel depots, Martian export economies, Raptor upper stages atop Falcons, what else you can do with a 12,000-satellite constellation... Please just wall this off in one section so people who aren't interested can safely ignore it without missing discussion of the things that are actually happening.

* SpaceX Company - The business, the people, the things that don't fit elsewhere. There's got to be a catch-all.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 11:54 am by 2megs »

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
i would like to also add references or sub threads, which ADD detail and understanding, to include things like space suits, eclis, 4 hour rendezvous, reuse factors and performance, etc.

I like the introduction of separated 'SpaceX Facilities' and 'SpaceX Vehicles' sections, and maybe it's time for a SpaceX Starlink' section as well, given how production should start later this year and we'll have a lot to discuss.

However I'm strongly agains removing the SpaceX Mars section altogether, especially if BFR is not explicitly  included in the 'general' BLEO HSF section.
I mean, the timing of such a removal would be really bad, now that they're beginning to gear up for BFR and we are at a crucial point for SX's Mars plans...

BFR isn't only a rocket, is a deep space exploration architecture. Not only that, but the most serious HSF Mars exploration architecture in development right now.

We'll need a place to discuss  ISRU plants, initial base infrastructure, partnerships with other agencies for Mars and the moon, more and more as these aspects get details.
This is separated from a 'BFR' or 'SpaceX Vehicles' section.

If the intention is merging SpaceX BLEO plans in the general 'SLS/Orion/HLVs' section, than the section should be renamed to explicitly include BFR as well, to make it clear.
I support this idea, as it would break barriers and encourage a broader discussion of BLEO plans.

The section, however, is currently named 'SLS/Orion/Beyond-LEO HSF - Constellation'. SLS is literally the first word. If we want this section to be about BLEO HSF in general than the name should clearly state that.
I propose a simple
'Beyond LEO HSF' without excluding or implying anything.
Or, if some examples have to be included for clarity, I suggest
'Beyond LEO HSF (SLS/BFR/Orion/Constellation)'

This way SpaceX-specific Mars infrastructure discussion (ISRU, power plants etc.) can happen directly in the 'Mars HSF' section alongside NASA infrastructure plans, and we wouldn't have duplicate threads talking about general Mars base concepts both in the 'Mars HSF' section and in 'SpaceX Mars'. The same goes for Moon plans.

But if you want the section to be general, then 'Beyond LEO HSF' should come first in its title, not 'SLS/Orion'

Similarly, actual BFR/BFS development is fairly low-traffic. There's just not enough information flowing to fill a section. This will ramp up at the same rate that Falcon ramps down.

This is far from true. If you look at the first page in 'SpaceX general' almost half the threads are BFR threads...
Not only that but BFR is the hottest topic in SpaceX Mars and maybe SpaceX Reuse as well...

I'm in favor of a general 'SpaceX Vehicles' section, nonetheless. But it has to include BFR prominently in the description.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 12:01 pm by AbuSimbel »
Failure is not only an option, it's the only way to learn.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the custody of fire" - Gustav Mahler

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9098
  • Likes Given: 885
I hope we keep the change modest and less radical, remember SpaceX is all about iterative changes.

I think we should keep the number of sections unchanged, it's already tiresome to click through to 4 sections, I think 5+ is overkill. A lot of the proposed sections would have very little traffic, for example Starlink. Also what's wrong with having speculation/future discussion in General section?

I think we should just rename Mars section to "BFR/Mars" section, and move all BFR posts to there, then rename Reusability section to something like "Falcon/Dragon" section, and move all current vehicle related posts there.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
I think we should keep the number of sections unchanged, it's already tiresome to click through to 4 sections, I think 5+ is overkill. A lot of the proposed sections would have very little traffic, for example Starlink. Also what's wrong with having speculation/future discussion in General section?

SpaceX seems to attract a lot of people that have really good ideas that are based on a very thin layer of information. Some extreme examples of these speculative ideas are "Raptor upper stage" or "BFS strap-on boosters". These threads (as much fun as they are) dilute the signal to noise of more reality based discussions. Separating them into its own area could have (and I hope will) a positive effect on the remaining threads. Its sometimes really really difficult to find hard information under heaps of speculation in the SpaceX sub-forums. I think a future/speculation section is a very good idea.

Online 2megs

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 65
Similarly, actual BFR/BFS development is fairly low-traffic. ...

This is far from true. If you look at the first page in 'SpaceX general' almost half the threads are BFR threads...
Not only that but BFR is the hottest topic in SpaceX Mars and maybe SpaceX Reuse as well...

To me, there is a big difference between "actual development" and "about BFR or Mars in some way". That's the line I'd like to draw.

Looking at non-sticky non-deleted threads in the first two pages (as seen on my phone) of the "SpaceX Mars" section: I count only 7 threads about actual work that could/should happen between now and when a BFS first touches down on Mars. On the other hand, I count 31 threads about things that might happen after that, or how SpaceX could build something different/better/in-support-of the BFR, and none of it is anything SpaceX had signaled a specific intention to build.

I'd like to split those things, because I'm primarily interested in the near-term engineering reality. Talk all you want about what SpaceX might someday do (but hasn't announced) with a fully working BFS over in the "SpaceX Future" section, and grim folks like me can choose not to click on it.

The point of having sections is that one person's signal is another person's noise. I don't begrudge you your signal, but I desperately want a way to filter it.

Offline RoboGoofers

• NJ
  • Liked: 869
  • Likes Given: 977
like you often see on web forums someone always posts a topic in the general forum that starts with "i'm not sure where to put this." So, more subforums are great but only if people use them properly, otherwise it'll become more work for the mods to move topics around.

I'd like:
General
F9
BFR
Misisons
-

I question whether starlink or infrastructure or P2P will generate enough threads to warrant their own subforum outside of 'general'

Offline JQP

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 33
Am I the only one wondering if this site is fast-moving enough to demand so many SpaceX subforums? Would one forum for all things SpaceX really be that bad?

Maybe one for SpaceX news articles, and one for SpaceX general?

The thing about categorization is it's always gonna be ambiguous; one good way to not get lost in the weeds is to create as few categories as is practicable.

Offline Zardar

• Limerick, Ireland
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 343
Am I the only one wondering if this site is fast-moving enough to demand so many SpaceX subforums? Would one forum for all things SpaceX really be that bad?

Maybe one for SpaceX news articles, and one for SpaceX general?

The thing about categorization is it's always gonna be ambiguous; one good way to not get lost in the weeds is to create as few categories as is practicable.

Totally disagree!

I just checked the "unread topics" on the forums (as I do!), and there were 14 unread threads.  10 of those were spacex related. This site has always has a large percentage of spacex traffic. And it is a good idea to organise it a bit better, because even if Elon's plans take twice as long to get halfway there, then it gonna get even busier over the next few years.

My preferences to top-level section?

* Spacex Missions and Contracts (move the commercial crew stuff under here also - basically anything spacex is getting paid to do)

* Spacex Operations and infrastructure (all the stuff about factories, production, pads, ships, barges, and other facilities and assets. Including core tracking/moving - they are operational assets now)

* SpaceX BFR - Separate, because it's going to get a lot of traffic

* (SpaceX) starlink - Separate, because again, this is going to have a huge volume of traffic once they start full development and launching.

* And SpaceX General to mop up everything else.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14030
  • Likes Given: 1391
I think the reusability thread is an anachronism, from the days reusability was a "maybe", or under development.
With Block 5 vehicles coming on, it's clearly simply a part of everyday vehicles and operations.

So in my mind:

- SpaceX (vehicles and operations)
- SpaceX missions
- SpaceX BFR (vehicle and infrastructure, including Boca Chica, also P2P)
- SpaceX Mars (Colony etc - expect this subforum to grow in the coming year or two as more information comes out)

If we create too many sub-forums, there will always be arguments over which sub-forum to put threads in.

Not to sure where to put StarLink, probably in the first section, but it's of limited scope.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
To my mind:

- SpaceX General:
- SpaceX Missions
- SpaceX Falcon Family (Vehicle and Infrastructure)
- SpaceX BFR (Vehicle and Infrastructure, Refueling)
- SpaceX Endeavors including related (Moon, Mars, Colonization, Constellations, Tunnelling, P2P, Depots, Staging, Exploration)

« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 04:53 pm by AC in NC »

Online Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
I would like to see:

-SpaceX Corporate and Infrastructure (launch facilities, McGregor, manufacturing plants, drone ships, etc)
-SpaceX Missions (missions on the current launch manifest)
-SpaceX Future Missions (Mars, Moon, BEO, speculative missions for the DOD, other nations, etc, things that are not in the launch manifest, yet).
-SpaceX Falcon Family and Merlin (I think that now that reusability for F9 and FH is established, the Reusability section is somewhat redundant, plus it currently contains a mix of F9 and BFR and other things).
-SpaceX BFS/BFR and Raptor
-SpaceX Spacecraft and Satellites (for Dragon/2, Starlink and whatever else they will invent in the future)
-SpaceX Archive
« Last Edit: 04/09/2018 06:15 pm by Elmar Moelzer »

Offline JQP

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 33
Totally disagree!

How does one disagree with questions? :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography