Author Topic: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed  (Read 161209 times)

Offline uhuznaa

• Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed
« Reply #40 on: 08/23/2017 08:32 pm »
Compared to the competition.

OK, but THIS suit does look pressurized.

Still, one major difference seems to be the helmet. Basically all IVA suit helmets up to now were fixed to the suit. The SpaceX helmet seems to be conforming to the head (like a motorcycle helmet), connected to the suit with a soft neck "tunnel". This means as long as the suit isn't pressurized you can move around your head (with the helmet) freely, look around and up and down, even nod and shake your head. You also are wearing a full, padded crash helmet.

This is an altogether good thing compared to all fixed hard or soft helmets where you can move around your head only INSIDE the helmet and have to try and look through the limited, unmoving visor in the front. I think the first Mercury spacesuit was a bit similar (but still with a neck ring with the helmet only able to rotate on it, not move up and down).

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #41 on: 08/23/2017 08:35 pm »
Garrett Reisman <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:6.25% 29.166666666666668%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="2714"></span></span> @astro_g_dogg
This suit is much better than the one I wore in the Shuttle. Lots of great innovations. I wore one today for our post-splashdown safety test https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/900363626841812992
10:55 AM - Aug 23, 2017 · Florida, USA

https://twitter.com/astro_g_dogg/status/900371010846810113
Ouch. That's a punch in the face of the David Clark company, by one of their former users no less. Not to mention that it basically disqualifies the IVA suit for Orion.

Garrett Reitman works for Spacex

Yah, that disqualifies him from being objective... just like anyone working for NASA cannot be about NASA hardware.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2017 09:02 pm by Chris Bergin »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #42 on: 08/23/2017 08:45 pm »

Still, one major difference seems to be the helmet. Basically all IVA suit helmets up to now were fixed to the suit. The SpaceX helmet seems to be conforming to the head (like a motorcycle helmet), connected to the suit with a soft neck "tunnel". This means as long as the suit isn't pressurized you can move around your head (with the helmet) freely, look around and up and down, even nod and shake your head. You also are wearing a full, padded crash helmet.

This is an altogether good thing compared to all fixed hard or soft helmets where you can move around your head only INSIDE the helmet and have to try and look through the limited, unmoving visor in the front. I think the first Mercury spacesuit was a bit similar (but still with a neck ring with the helmet only able to rotate on it, not move up and down).

What does pressurized mean? Obviously the wearer can breathe, so there is air inside.

I think the picture shows the nominal state, when the pressure inside and outside of the suit are equal.

The suit will surely become more bulky and stiff in a vacuum.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline geza

• Budapest
    • Géza Meszéna's web page
  • Liked: 433
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #43 on: 08/23/2017 08:47 pm »
Eagerly waiting for pics on Martian suit...

Offline uhuznaa

« Reply #44 on: 08/23/2017 08:55 pm »

What does pressurized mean? Obviously the wearer can breathe, so there is air inside.

I think the picture shows the nominal state, when the pressure inside and outside of the suit are equal.

I was talking about the (blue) Boeing suit and pressurized means the pressure inside is higher than the pressure outside.

I agree that for an emergency suit the nominal state is the pressure inside being equal (or only slightly higher) to the pressure outside, but the Boeing suit definitely looks expanded while the SpaceX suit does not.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #45 on: 08/23/2017 08:56 pm »
Wonder how SpaceX keep the helmet visor from misting over with their spacesuit.

Offline jpo234

« Reply #46 on: 08/23/2017 09:06 pm »

I was talking about the (blue) Boeing suit and pressurized means the pressure inside is higher than the pressure outside.

I agree that for an emergency suit the nominal state is the pressure inside being equal (or only slightly higher) to the pressure outside, but the Boeing suit definitely looks expanded while the SpaceX suit does not.

Only the torso of the Boeing suit has this expanded look. Arms and legs look loose (e.g. wrinkled).

I can only go by the look, but I think there is some kind of stiff but not rigid armor (?) around the torso that gives this expanded impression.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline BobHk

• Texas
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #47 on: 08/23/2017 09:06 pm »

There is Anti-fog...

Offline tdperk

• Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #48 on: 08/23/2017 09:13 pm »
Garrett Reisman <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:6.25% 29.166666666666668%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="2714"></span></span> @astro_g_dogg
This suit is much better than the one I wore in the Shuttle. Lots of great innovations. I wore one today for our post-splashdown safety test https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/900363626841812992

Ouch. That's a punch in the face of the David Clark company, by one of their former users no less. Not to mention that it basically disqualifies the IVA suit for Orion.

Yah, that disqualifies him from being objective... just like anyone working for NASA cannot be about NASA hardware.

Also NASA procedures, engineering approach...

Offline uhuznaa

« Reply #49 on: 08/23/2017 09:22 pm »

There is Anti-fog...

The best way would be to stream the air pumped through the suit over the visor first to carry any moisture away. Good motorcycle helmets have some inlets around there to do that. Anti-fog basically is dish washing liquid to lower the surface tension of the condensing water so it doesn't form small droplets and a sheet of clear water instead, but you still get water gathering there.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #50 on: 08/23/2017 09:30 pm »

There is Anti-fog...

The best way would be to stream the air pumped through the suit over the visor first to carry any moisture away.

They have to do that anyway or the wearer will suffocate on his/her own exhalations. No convection as such in micro-g. ;)

Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 800
« Reply #51 on: 08/24/2017 06:27 am »
Further clarification on who is wearing the spacesuit:

The spacesuit of the future has arrived! This is our spacesuit manager wearing a working flight suit in Dragon.

instagram.com/p/BYIPmEFAIIn/
https://twitter.com/rocketjoy/status/900378957840654336

Then inside the suit on the first picture should be Jason Tenenbaum.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-tenenbaum-7859278/

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #52 on: 08/24/2017 06:40 am »
I bet the astronaut would have to add a further heavy suit over the top to do EVA work?
The current suit is an IVA suit. For CCP there are no requirements for an EVA suit. SpaceX has no need for EVA suits until they actually go to Mars.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #53 on: 08/24/2017 06:42 am »
Much the same way as Boeing/David Clark do with theirs: by circulating conditioned air.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 06:50 am by woods170 »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #54 on: 08/24/2017 06:46 am »
Garrett Reisman ✔ @astro_g_dogg

Not to interrupt the fawning, but how does that comment disqualify anything?
The IVA suit for Orion is a slightly modified version of the shuttle ACES suit. Given that one of the former users of the shuttle ACES suit now qualifies the SpaceX IVA suit as "much better" than the shuttle ACES suit....
I think you are smart enough to do the rest of the logical reasoning.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #55 on: 08/24/2017 06:49 am »

By that reasoning you can never be objective about Spacehab because you once worked with them.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 06:49 am by woods170 »

Offline Ictogan

• Aerospace engineering student
  • Germany
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #56 on: 08/24/2017 08:19 am »

Not to interrupt the fawning, but how does that comment disqualify anything?
The IVA suit for Orion is a slightly modified version of the shuttle ACES suit. Given that one of the former users of the shuttle ACES suit now qualifies the SpaceX IVA suit as "much better" than the shuttle ACES suit....
I think you are smart enough to do the rest of the logical reasoning.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disqualify
Definition of disqualify

transitive verb

:  to deprive of the required qualities, properties, or conditions :  make unfit

:  to deprive of a power, right, or privilege

:  to make ineligible for a prize or for further competition because of violations of the rules

Clearly the first definition is the one to work with here and I don't see how SpaceX's suit being called better by SpaceX employee renders the IVA suit for Orion unfit. Just because there is something better doesn't mean it is unfit for what it is supposed to do.

Offline jpo234

« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 09:51 am by jpo234 »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #58 on: 08/24/2017 12:34 pm »

Today, GR is uniquely qualified to make the comparison -- no one else has worn both AFAIK.  In near future, at least two active NASA astros will wear these new suits; we will then see what they think.  (Unless we need to disqualify them because they work for NASA...)
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #59 on: 08/24/2017 12:36 pm »
IIRC, the EVA suits used on Apollo were just the standard pressure suits with the necessary add-ons (insulated boots, sun-shade visor and PLSS pack) to work outside the spacecraft. Could this suit be similarly modified with extra layers and equipment hung over it to make it an EVA suit of some kind?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography