Author Topic: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed  (Read 161204 times)

Offline qralt

• Texas
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 1335
Re: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed
« Reply #20 on: 08/23/2017 03:43 pm »
Picture is mirrored?  Flag is reversed.

Offline Ictogan

• Aerospace engineering student
  • Germany
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #21 on: 08/23/2017 03:53 pm »
No, it's probably intentional that way. The stars on the US flag are supposed to always face forward. For this reason you also see this reversed flags on the right shoulders of uniforms and even on the right side of the space shuttle.

Online meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #22 on: 08/23/2017 03:53 pm »
The flag is not reversed. Flags on the sides moving vehicles (including people) are printed as if blowing in the wind while moving forward. Check out pictures of U.S. military uniforms.

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #23 on: 08/23/2017 03:56 pm »
Now they just need to produce those in PowerRangers-like colors and the new space race is won.

Nah. Should be in scarlet & gold just like the Iron Man stature at the Hawthorne lobby. Why the heck would you imitated the look of the campy Power Rangers :P instead of the Super Heroic look of Tony Stark.  ;)

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #24 on: 08/23/2017 04:07 pm »

No, that is the correct way to have a flag on the right shoulder. The star field always faces forward. This gives the effect of the flag "flying in the breeze" as the wearer moves forward.

US military uniforms often have the flag on the right shoulder in the same orientation.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 959
« Reply #25 on: 08/23/2017 04:14 pm »

No, that is the correct way to have a flag on the right shoulder. The star field always faces forward. This gives the effect of the flag "flying in the breeze" as the wearer moves forward.

US military uniforms often have the flag on the right shoulder in the same orientation.

Yup, glad they got that right. Boy/Cub Scout uniform drives me up the wall. "These colors don't run!"
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1016
« Reply #26 on: 08/23/2017 04:42 pm »
Compared to the competition.

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #27 on: 08/23/2017 04:57 pm »
Presumably, the SpaceX suit as shown is unpressurized. It may be less "form fitting" when pressurized. Aesthetically, the exterior looks "too cool for school" but, remember this is exclusively an IVA suit not unlike, in function, the modified Navy pressure suit worn by the Mercury astronauts, which was relatively form-fitting. The crew of Gemini 7 also wore an IVA suit that was pretty futuristic looking.
I think this is how pressurized Spacex suit will look. Header part will be pressurized but rest of body using just counter pressure.

Yes, it might use counter pressure, but one of the challenges with a "biosuit-type" design is integrating a gas-pressurized helmet. Interesting to get clarification from SpaceX.

Online meberbs

« Reply #28 on: 08/23/2017 05:11 pm »

Yup, glad they got that right. Boy/Cub Scout uniform drives me up the wall. "These colors don't run!"
I actually went to check my old scout uniform before my original post just to make sure I correctly remembered that it was wrong.

Here is an article with an official explanation of why.

While they have a point that it isn't explicit in the flag code, the reversed flag on the right side of vehicles is standard, and most consistent with the "canton in the most honored/prominent position" principle. Therefore I disagree with their conclusion, and agree with SpaceX's design.

Also, after all of the comments Musk has made about the backside, I am looking forward to soon seeing some shots of their suit from behind, especially inflated. really need to see more of the suit before I can judge it. (I would normally say it is awesome as it is, but Musk has raised the standards on himself)

Online obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #29 on: 08/23/2017 06:33 pm »
Presumably, the SpaceX suit as shown is unpressurized. It may be less "form fitting" when pressurized. Aesthetically, the exterior looks "too cool for school" but, remember this is exclusively an IVA suit not unlike, in function, the modified Navy pressure suit worn by the Mercury astronauts, which was relatively form-fitting. The crew of Gemini 7 also wore an IVA suit that was pretty futuristic looking.
I think this is how pressurized Spacex suit will look. Header part will be pressurized but rest of body using just counter pressure.

Yes, it might use counter pressure, but one of the challenges with a "biosuit-type" design is integrating a gas-pressurized helmet. Interesting to get clarification from SpaceX.

No. It is NOT a mechanical counter-pressure suit. Not only does the technology to make a _operational_ MCP suit not exist, but the worst possible use of an MCP suit (which is only wearable when pressurized) would be as a launch & entry suit which nominally is NEVER pressurized beyond vent pressure. We will have to wait until (and if) Elon ever releases images of the suit when pressurized to make sweeping generalizations on how far superior it is to all prior pressure suits (/snark).

Offline punder

• Liked: 1826
  • Likes Given: 1434
« Reply #30 on: 08/23/2017 06:49 pm »
Is that Elon inside?   :D

Note that Elon Musk "is an engineer at SpaceX."

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1230
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #31 on: 08/23/2017 06:50 pm »
Does the helmet have the internal spotlighting to illuminate the movie star's face (while incidentally blinding the movie star)?

It's hard to take anything that looks so much like a movie prop seriously. I guess that will come after a few flights.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #32 on: 08/23/2017 06:58 pm »
Compared to the competition.
What was considered "cool" back in January of this year is now looking antiquated.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #33 on: 08/23/2017 07:00 pm »

Is that Elon inside?   :D

Note that Elon Musk "is an engineer at SpaceX."

Sure doesn't look like him.
-DaviD-

Online meberbs

« Reply #34 on: 08/23/2017 07:01 pm »
Does the helmet have the internal spotlighting to illuminate the movie star's face (while incidentally blinding the movie star)?

It's hard to take anything that looks so much like a movie prop seriously. I guess that will come after a few flights.
You know it was literally designed by a movie costume designer right?  ;D

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #35 on: 08/23/2017 07:02 pm »
Garrett Reisman ✔ @astro_g_dogg
This suit is much better than the one I wore in the Shuttle. Lots of great innovations. I wore one today for our post-splashdown safety test https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/900363626841812992
10:55 AM - Aug 23, 2017 · Florida, USA

https://twitter.com/astro_g_dogg/status/900371010846810113
Ouch. That's a punch in the face of the David Clark company, by one of their former users no less. Not to mention that it basically disqualifies the IVA suit for Orion.

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #36 on: 08/23/2017 07:31 pm »
Garrett Reisman ✔ @astro_g_dogg
This suit is much better than the one I wore in the Shuttle. Lots of great innovations. I wore one today for our post-splashdown safety test https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/900363626841812992

Ouch. That's a punch in the face of the David Clark company, by one of their former users no less. Not to mention that it basically disqualifies the IVA suit for Orion.

Not to interrupt the fawning, but how does that comment disqualify anything?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #37 on: 08/23/2017 08:12 pm »
Garrett Reisman <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:6.25% 29.166666666666668%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="2714"></span></span> @astro_g_dogg

Garrett Reitman works for Spacex
« Last Edit: 08/23/2017 09:02 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81286
  • Likes Given: 36776
« Reply #38 on: 08/23/2017 08:24 pm »
Further clarification on who is wearing the spacesuit:

The spacesuit of the future has arrived! This is our spacesuit manager wearing a working flight suit in Dragon.

instagram.com/p/BYIPmEFAIIn/

https://twitter.com/rocketjoy/status/900378957840654336

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #39 on: 08/23/2017 08:24 pm »
I bet the astronaut would have to add a further heavy suit over the top to do EVA work?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography