Author Topic: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related  (Read 301503 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
Re: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related
« Reply #40 on: 10/14/2017 08:26 pm »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #41 on: 10/15/2017 12:34 am »
Does anyone know if ISPCS will be posting videos like they did for last year's conference?  I don't see much coverage of the conference last week.

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #42 on: 10/15/2017 06:52 am »
Does anyone know if ISPCS will be posting videos like they did for last year's conference?  I don't see much coverage of the conference last week.

A shame :( I would expect videos, but expect to wait quite awhile. Last year's conference was at the same time in October and videos were eventually uploaded to YouTube starting in early November and not finishing until late December.

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #43 on: 11/10/2017 07:44 pm »
Anyone a member of Irvine Valley College's Accounting Society? ;D Bret Johnson (CFO) is giving a talk over Skype on Nov. 13, 4pm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbUb47xly2e/

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #44 on: 11/10/2017 09:28 pm »
Suggest you ask about the effectiveness of the ERP software in doing cost recovery models for vehicles. (They got it from Tesla, and its allowed them to exceed federal standards/cost models.

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #45 on: 11/10/2017 09:43 pm »
Suggest you ask about the effectiveness of the ERP software in doing cost recovery models for vehicles. (They got it from Tesla, and its allowed them to exceed federal standards/cost models.

I wish, I sadly am not the subject of the email, was posted on Instagram. I'm tempted to ask if it could be recorded, but I highly doubt it.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81287
  • Likes Given: 36800
« Reply #46 on: 11/16/2017 07:15 am »
NewSpace Europe conference is about to start in Luxembourg. This morning’s speakers include the president & CEO of SES and the president of SpaceX. http://newspace-europe.spacefrontier.org/2017/agenda/#9NWJi7zmpWUX3BmRq7

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/931070083547398144

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #47 on: 01/11/2018 08:41 am »
EE Distinguished Lecture: Lars Blackmore, SpaceX Friday, January 12, 2018 - 3:30pm

Abstract / Description:
SpaceX's reusable rocket program aims to reduce the cost of space travel by making rockets that can land, refuel and refly, instead of being thrown away after every flight. Autonomous precision landing of a rocket is a unique problem, which has been likened to balancing a rubber broomstick on your hand in a windstorm. Rockets do not have wings (unlike airplanes) and they cannot rely on a high ballistic coefficient to fly in a straight line (unlike missiles). In the past two years, SpaceX has successfully landed nineteen rockets, some of which were on dry land at Cape Canaveral, and some of which were on floating platforms in the ocean. This talk will discuss the challenges involved, how these challenges were overcome, and next steps towards rapid reusability.
Bio:
Lars Blackmore is responsible for Entry, Descent and Landing of SpaceX's Falcon 9 Reusable (F9R) rocket. His team developed the precision landing algorithms and operations required to bring F9R back to the launch site. Previously, Lars was with the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he was co-inventor of the G-FOLD algorithm for precision landing on Mars, and was a member of the control team for the SMAP climate change observatory. Lars was named one of MIT Tech Review's "35 under 35" innovators and has a PhD in Guidance, Navigation and Control from the MIT Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 08:43 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline G-pit

• Regular
  • NY
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #48 on: 01/12/2018 07:14 am »
EE Distinguished Lecture: Lars Blackmore, SpaceX Friday, January 12, 2018 - 3:30pm

I will attend this talk today at Stanford and can post notes afterwords. If the opportunity arises, I'll ask one or two questions. Feel free to message me with suggested questions.
"Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life" - Confucius

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 800
« Reply #49 on: 01/12/2018 12:33 pm »

I will attend this talk today at Stanford and can post notes afterwords. If the opportunity arises, I'll ask one or two questions. Feel free to message me with suggested questions.

Great! Yes please, post here all notes you can capture.
Please ask him about BFS precision landing in unknown weather conditions during Earth to Earth suborbital transport flights. Would it be easy or difficult for EDL team to prepare robust enough flight SW for all possible conditions and scenarios?   
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 01/12/2018 01:28 pm by pospa »

Offline G-pit

• Regular
  • NY
« Reply #50 on: 01/12/2018 05:54 pm »

Great! Yes please, post here all notes you can capture.
Please ask him about BFS precision landing in unknown weather conditions during Earth to Earth suborbital transport flights. Would it be easy or difficult for EDL team to prepare robust enough flight SW for all possible conditions and scenarios?   
Thanks!

Got it. FYI, We just received an email stating that the talk is only open to Stanford students, faculty, and staff. Also the venue has been changed.

-- text below --
Due to space limitations, this talk is only open to Stanford faculty, students and staff.

Please note that the venue has been changed to: 420-040, Jordan Hall Basement (next to the old Thai Café)

Offline G-pit

• Regular
  • NY
« Reply #51 on: 01/13/2018 12:07 am »

Hi - The talk just got out. I'm sorry to disappoint, but they were very strict about no press, no recording, and Lars asked specifically about if anyone had attended from Reddit at the end. The obvious vibe was that this talk wasn't intended to be distributed publicly. I'll say that most of the content drew from his 2016 publication here: https://www.nae.edu/Publications/Bridge/164237/164334.aspx

The Q&A he deliberately avoided discussing any future specific plans, but it was very interesting and impressive nonetheless.

I have about 7-8 pages of notes from the talk. I'll clean them up a bit then post them in L2 soon.

« Last Edit: 01/13/2018 12:08 am by G-pit »

Offline IainMcClatchie

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 279
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #52 on: 01/13/2018 01:47 am »
For those of us who aren't L2, does that mean it's not kosher to post our notes?

Offline jpo234

« Reply #53 on: 01/17/2018 12:44 pm »
Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:00am

Subcommittee on Space Hearing - An Update on NASA Commercial Crew Systems Development

Hans Koenigsmann will be witness for SpaceX

N.B.: The term witness makes this sound like a trial...
« Last Edit: 01/17/2018 02:02 pm by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline jpo234

« Reply #54 on: 01/17/2018 02:02 pm »
Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:00am

Subcommittee on Space Hearing - An Update on NASA Commercial Crew Systems Development

Hans Koenigsmann will be witness for SpaceX

N.B.: The term witness makes this sound like a trial...

Live stream!

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #55 on: 01/17/2018 05:27 pm »
kinda disappointing watching that.  Id expect our elected representatives and their staff to be a little more educated and a little less reliant on sensational news
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #56 on: 01/18/2018 08:05 am »
kinda disappointing watching that.  Id expect our elected representatives and their staff to be a little more educated and a little less reliant on sensational news

This is NOT the Space Policy thread so let's not go there please. Thank you.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #57 on: 01/18/2018 07:47 pm »

This is NOT the Space Policy thread so let's not go there please. Thank you.

Yes please. In fact, slagging reps straight out probably isn't on for Space Policy either.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
« Reply #58 on: 01/18/2018 08:13 pm »
Re: Congressional representatives and collective staff

Do we have any such as members--not asking anyone to name names, of course.

(I know we have one highly-informed and informative FORMER Senatorial staffer in our number here, Jeff Bingham a.k.a. 51D Mascot.)
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2403
  • Likes Given: 10203
« Reply #59 on: 01/29/2018 03:06 pm »
Here's Shotwell's talk at the TAMEST even in Texas a few weeks ago.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography