Author Topic: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related  (Read 301481 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related
« on: 06/15/2017 03:29 am »
These are some upcoming SpaceX related hearings/interviews/conference appearances/keynote speeches.  I wanted to try keeping a list of them in one place so that we have an easy reference.  If you run across any more please put a note in this thread.

Elon Musk,  SpaceX’s Chief Engineer, will participate in a fireside chat with Gen. John W. “Jay” Raymond, Chief of Space Operations, during the Air Force Association’s 2020 Air Warfare Symposium, Feb. 26 – 28.

Elon will have a Keynote talk at SatShow (SATELLITE) 2020. March 9 at 4 PM local, 8PM UTC (DST just kicked in the day before!).  https://www.satshow.com/elon-musk/

NOTE: for talks that are not specific to SpaceX see: Upcoming Spaceflight Related Talks/Conferences

past talks:
Thu Jul 13, 2017    9am EDT   Tim Hughes  Senate Hearing
     Reopening the American Frontier: Promoting Partnerships Between Commercial Space and the U.S. Government to Advance Exploration and Settlement
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30p EDT Elon Musk  ISS R&D Conference speech
Sat Oct 14, 2017 Elon Musk AMA on Reddit
Sep 29, 2017      Elon Musk, IAC 2017 in Adelaide (2pm local, 4:30am UTC, 12:30am EDT) (thread)
Oct 11, 2017       Gwynne Shotwell: Road to Mars @ Stanford (7pm PDT)
Wed. Oct 25, 2017, 10am EDT : Patricia Cooper: Senate hearing on commercial satellite industry (thread)
CNBC Interview with Gwynne May 22, 2018
May 24, 2018  Tom Mueller keynote at ISDC
Aug 13, 2018  SpaceX will have Commercial Crew press conference at Hawthorne, many media members will be attending
« Last Edit: 01/16/2020 12:35 pm by gongora »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related
« Reply #1 on: 06/15/2017 04:31 am »
+ Sept. 25-29: Elon Musk; International Astronautical Conference 2017
« Last Edit: 07/14/2017 04:29 pm by gongora »
DM

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2 on: 06/15/2017 02:53 pm »
Where is the list for Orbital, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and others?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #3 on: 06/15/2017 03:18 pm »

I personally am most interested in SpaceX, so I am willing to spend a little time to periodically update the list in the top post of this thread.  If someone is willing to do that for a broader range of companies feel free to create a thread in the appropriate section.  We could also just create a thread where people can post notices for such events if no one wants to curate a list for it.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #4 on: 06/15/2017 07:38 pm »

Speaking of others, Virgin Galactic will be talking at the Spaceport America Cup next week. I can record it or post any major highlights from the event.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #5 on: 06/15/2017 11:14 pm »

Perhaps I'm blind, but isn't this thread in the SpaceX general forum?

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #6 on: 06/16/2017 08:06 am »

You know, I started a thread for one of these events once:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42898.0

It was attended primarily by Boeing, LM, Orbital, etc. Unfortunately, it was not worth it. They work under completely unrealistic premises.

ULA for instance would be much, much, much, ...., much more interesting if they could keep the revenue they make and invest it in R&D, new rockets, reusability, IVF, etc., I come back to that at the end of my post. SpaceX landed and relaunched a first stage of a EELV class rocket within 15 years of its existence. I guess they started with 200M or thereabouts and got one funding round of about 1B. Look what they have done with that investment. Fuck launch price, its not important. What is important is technological development and advancement in rocket technology. In the same time, Boeing, LM, ULA made what? A new launch vehicle, not much different from what we had in the 70s. A bit more effective, but basically nothing in terms of advancement of technology. Taking this past experience, think of what SpaceX might be able to do in the next 15 years. And what ULA might achieve in the next 15 years. ULA might have the Vulcan, which is just an other iteration of the 70s technology, a bit more efficient, a bit cheaper. They might have IVF which is quite a substantial advancement. But thats it. By the same optimism, SpaceX on the other hand might do what Shuttle promised but never delivered: full and rapid reusability. Compare ITS with Orion and tell me whats more interesting.

Not everything is sunny on the SpaceX side for sure. But when looking at Boeing, LM, Orbital, ULA.. its like looking someone developing more efficient means to stand still. I am not surprised that SpaceX gets such an audience and old space doesnt. Imagine what ULA could be now if they were allowed to keep the revenue they made. Imagine, we would probably have IVF by now. Vulcan would probably be redesigned to be fully reusable or would be on a track to achieve it. ULA would be a stunning company to look at, hear talks from their engineers and get excited by the future they want to achieve.

And before you mention it, thats not bashing ULA. Its an observation and an answer to your question: Why does nobody cares about ULA? Basically, it boils down to: Driving technology to new heights or be a cash cow. Pick one.

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5003
  • Likes Given: 1437
« Reply #7 on: 06/16/2017 05:16 pm »
I find the pair of meetings on June 21 and 22 interesting for the main reason of the topic for the June 21 meeting and that the June 22 appearance is likely to be a SpaceX sided take away about the Senate Hearing and how that will affect SpaceX Exploration and Settlement goals.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #8 on: 06/16/2017 05:46 pm »
This thread is really meant to be a place to aggregate notices of upcoming talks, not a place to detail/praise the company vision.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14030
  • Likes Given: 1391
« Reply #9 on: 06/17/2017 01:27 am »
This thread is really meant to be a place to aggregate notices of upcoming talks, not a place to detail/praise the company vision.
Sorry...  :)
(removed it)
« Last Edit: 06/17/2017 06:00 am by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #10 on: 06/20/2017 10:28 pm »
Tweet from Jeff Foust:
Senate Commerce Committee announces that tomorrow’s space hearing has been postponed until after the July 4 recess.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #11 on: 07/06/2017 09:53 pm »
Tweet from Jeff Foust:
The Senate space subcmte has rescheduled its hearing on public-private partnerships for July 13. One change: Tim Hughes speaking for SpaceX.

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #12 on: 07/14/2017 11:57 am »
So there's these tweets:

Erik Cleven‏ @VoltzCoreAudio  Jul 11: I know some of us sound like a broken record by now, but can we get a real estimate on when the big Mars update will be?

Elon Musk @elonmusk Replying to @VoltzCoreAudio @DJSnM
Maybe the upcoming IAC in Adelaide
2:44 PM - 11 Jul 2017

Adelaide is the capital of the state of South Australia. Also don't forget that Tesla has recently won a contract to build the world's biggest battery storage facility in South Australia, in the next few months before Australian summer starts in December.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40527784

A happy confluence of events for Elon Musk.  If I had to bet money on it, I'd say the next ITS announcement will almost certainly be at IAC 2017.  He can come to present, then get an update on the battery plant rollout while he's here.

I was thinking about going to IAC anyway, maybe I can report for NSF the way Helodriver did last year..? :D

Offline dlapine

• University of Illinois
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 312
« Reply #13 on: 07/14/2017 02:53 pm »
The committee hearing was held- https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2017/7/reopening-the-american-frontier-promoting-partnerships-between-commercial-space-and-the-u-s-government-to-advance-exploration-and-settlement, but there are no video or transcripts of the session.  Does anyone have links to them?

Additionally, Ars Technica https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/spacex-urges-lawmakers-to-commercialize-deep-space-exploration/ put up an article on the hearing discussing Tim Hughes' prepared remarks.

Ars seemed to think that SpaceX was agitating for the establishment by NASA of a Super Heavy Lift equivalent of Commercial Crew program, in recognition of the Falcon Heavy, New Glenn and other commercial space developments of large lifters.

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 718
  • Likes Given: 6757
« Reply #14 on: 07/14/2017 03:11 pm »
The committee hearing was held- https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2017/7/reopening-the-american-frontier-promoting-partnerships-between-commercial-space-and-the-u-s-government-to-advance-exploration-and-settlement, but there are no video or transcripts of the session.  Does anyone have links to them?
Here's the video (courtesy of u/SpaceKSCBlog on r/SpaceX):

« Last Edit: 07/14/2017 03:12 pm by Navier–Stokes »

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #15 on: 07/14/2017 03:13 pm »

Additionally, Ars Technica https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/spacex-urges-lawmakers-to-commercialize-deep-space-exploration/ put up an article on the hearing discussing Tim Hughes' prepared remarks.

Ars seemed to think that SpaceX was agitating for the establishment by NASA of a Super Heavy Lift equivalent of Commercial Crew program, in recognition of the Falcon Heavy, New Glenn and other commercial space developments of large lifters.

Video is on youtube:

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Offline WTF

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 8639
Colonel John Paul Stapp, MD. Formulated during those rocket sled experiments ... Stapp's Law: "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #18 on: 07/15/2017 06:43 pm »
NGA 2017 SUMMER MEETING — Introducing the News Chairs Initiative "Ahead of the Curve"

Started streaming 1 hour ago

Closing Plenary Introducing the News Chairs Initiative "Ahead of the Curve"

Speaker: Elon Musk
Governor Terry McAuliffe, Virginia, Chair
Governor Brian Sandoval, Nevada, Vice Chair

Keynote Speaker:
• Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #19 on: 07/15/2017 08:04 pm »
The most SpaceX relevant part of the NGA talk today was about COTS and government contracting. I don't think there is any news here about Elon being against cost-plus and for milestone based contracting.

Another somewhat relevant bit was a discussion of regulations. Elon is for the right amount of regulation (my paraphrase) and thinks regulations should be reviewed a regular intervals to keep them relevant and at the right amount.

Most of the rest of the talk was about Tesla, sustainable energy, and artificial intelligence. Interesting (particularly the AI piece), but not directly relevant to SpaceX.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography