Author Topic: NASA into deep planning for Asteroid Redirect Mission  (Read 25786 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: NASA into deep planning for Asteroid Redirect Mission
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/2016 12:52 pm »
A great read. Just a shame no one has any interest in this asteroid boulder nonsense and it will very likely get killed by the next administration.

Offline SimonFD

Good article  8)
I think that even if the manned part doesn't happen, the "collect a boulder" mission should go ahead as a technology experiment. The ability to do these kinds of things is an important step in developing our space presence, not least being able to rendezvous with an object with a view to giving it a push :)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Online kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 2079
« Reply #3 on: 03/17/2016 01:43 pm »
Great article. I really wish they'd get rid of the "redirect" wording. We are not redirecting anything. We are retrieving a boulder. Calling it a redirect seems disingenuous.

Offline fvandrog

• Zurich
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/17/2016 01:50 pm »
Great article. I really wish they'd get rid of the "redirect" wording. We are not redirecting anything. We are retrieving a boulder. Calling it a redirect seems disingenuous.

Every encounter with a spacecraft will redirect a body ever so slightly. A lander on an asteroid probably measurably so.

I agree that the extend to which the redirection takes place is carefully planned and managed will probably be lacking.

Online kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #5 on: 03/17/2016 01:56 pm »
Well, yes, but I don't think the Mars 2020 Rover landing is considered a "Mars Redirect Mission," even though it interacts and slightly changes the orbit of Mars.  ;)

I would just like the program name to be more accurate to the new changed goals.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #6 on: 03/17/2016 02:02 pm »
Good article!

Here is a related March 2016 NAC presentation on ARRM:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/6-ARM-Gates.pdf
« Last Edit: 03/17/2016 02:03 pm by yg1968 »

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #7 on: 03/17/2016 02:20 pm »
Instead of depressurizing Orion, wouldn't it be better to have an EAM with an airlock? The module could be reused on other missions.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #8 on: 03/17/2016 03:43 pm »
Yeah, but the money would have to come from somewhere.

Offline TrevorMonty

Instead of depressurizing Orion, wouldn't it be better to have an EAM with an airlock? The module could be reused on other missions.
They may have a EAM by then as this will be 4th or 5th manned of Orion.

Online redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #10 on: 03/17/2016 05:59 pm »
Good article!

Here is a related March 2016 NAC presentation on ARRM:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/6-ARM-Gates.pdf

Some updates but I didn't really see anything new.  There's mention of a key decision this summer but I didn't see any further events unless you count the chart now showing ARM happening after the initial 2 Orion flights.  It's nice they're continuing SEP and boulder-grabbing studies.  I am under the impression they're biding their time until the next administration declares its intentions...while trying to be at least a little productive.

I'd like to see them produce an alternative plan involving visiting the Martian moons instead, that had been recommended.  I presume they're staying the course because law binds them to obey Obama's asteroid orders?
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #11 on: 03/17/2016 06:52 pm »

I thought they were going to try a  gravity tractor experiment--was I mistaken or perhaps was it cancelled?

And about grabbing a rock even if there's no peopled mission- the robotic part is a billion-dollar-class mission, IIRC, so why bother spending the money?  Heck, you could test out a "grabber" on a derelict satellite in Earth orbit if you really want to test that system in space, and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.
Recovering astronomer

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #12 on: 03/17/2016 07:17 pm »
Sorry, this still makes very little sense to me. If we're going to Mars or the moons of Mars to start. Then all available funds beyond SLS Block 1B and Orion, need to be funneled towards DSH, ISP, ISRU, and Descent/Ascent vehicle(s).

As designed, this ARM is a costly and unnecessary distraction.

I mean really, if your going to play with rocks around the moon, you may as well just land on the largest rock around...the moon itself.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #13 on: 03/17/2016 07:27 pm »
Landing on the moon would cost much more, because a lander would be needed.

Offline jtrame

• W4FJT
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #14 on: 03/17/2016 07:31 pm »
Sorry, this still makes very little sense to me. If we're going to Mars or the moons of Mars to start. Then all available funds beyond SLS Block 1B and Orion, need to be funneled towards DSH, ISP, ISRU, and Descent/Ascent vehicle(s).

As designed, this ARM is a costly and unnecessary distraction.

I mean really, if your going to play with rocks around the moon, you may as well just land on the largest rock around...the moon itself.

Thank you for that.  With what funds we have to work with, a DSH makes more sense IMO.  Then at least we have something going forward.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #15 on: 03/17/2016 07:36 pm »
Landing on the moon would cost much more, because a lander would be needed.
Yeh, I wasn't being completely serious. But reality is, we'll need one sooner or later if we intend to enter another gravity well, which is supposed to be the whole point of this JourneyToMars. Whether such a vehicle could or even should be tested in the limited gravity well of the moon is a fair question however. Regardless, ARM does nothing to extend that goal.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #16 on: 03/17/2016 08:34 pm »
Asteroids have been visited before, with sample return, and will be again.  But nobody has visited the Martian moons.  Are they captured asteroids or something else.  Something new to learn there, plus you get to practice Mars trips.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #17 on: 03/17/2016 08:59 pm »
A great read. Just a shame no one has any interest in this asteroid boulder nonsense and it will very likely get killed by the next administration.

Hopefully that will be good for the private companies that started to question their own existence when NASA got involved in their business (or worse yet, started reorganizing to service NASA.)
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #18 on: 03/17/2016 10:27 pm »

I thought they were going to try a  gravity tractor experiment--was I mistaken or perhaps was it cancelled?
[...]

You are correct - a gravity tractor phase is still part of the mission concept.

Online kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #19 on: 03/17/2016 11:03 pm »
Great article. I really wish they'd get rid of the "redirect" wording. We are not redirecting anything. We are retrieving a boulder. Calling it a redirect seems disingenuous. Oder

[...]

You are correct - a gravity tractor phase is still part of the mission concept.

Yes, but I think you're missing my point. I don't think the mission is called Asteroid Redirect Mission because of the secondary objective of the gravity tractor test. The original idea was visiting an asteroid (Asteroid Rendevous Mission), then we shifted to bringing the asteroid to us (Redirect). Now we've descoped to retrieving a boulder off the asteroid.
Am I remembering this wrong?  Seems like we're keeping the Redirect name out of nostalgia, to stay with the original presidential directive of visiting an asteroid by 20xx.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography