Author Topic: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?  (Read 310985 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
Re: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?
« Reply #221 on: 12/09/2016 07:42 pm »
 If I like SLS and Commercial Crew, does that make me a Demo-reptoid? Or a Repo-crat? Can only Republicans like a moon base? Can only Democrats like earth-science? Can only independents like SpaceX? Can only aliens like Blue Origin? I'm confused!
  Who would make a better admin, Sheldon or Leonard?

« Last Edit: 12/09/2016 08:04 pm by eric z »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #223 on: 12/14/2016 02:45 pm »
Sen. Jeff Sessions Exerts Wide Influence Over Trump Space Plans

Early names that have surfaced—with each would-be nominee openly lobbying for the job—include Rep. Jim Bridenstine, an Oklahoma Republican who advocates wholesale changes in space policies and also has expressed an interest in heading the Air Force; and Doug Cooke, a veteran NASA official who initially helped promote SLS on Capitol Hill. Also in the mix is former astronaut Charles Precourt, who made a big push with Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton’s camp before the election, which could make him suspect to Trump loyalists. The process is still ongoing and other names could emerge, according to one person familiar with the matter.

A second Charlie ?
« Last Edit: 12/14/2016 02:47 pm by hektor »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #224 on: 12/14/2016 04:37 pm »
From the same article:

Quote from: Pasztor
One sign of the influence Mr. Sessions has with the president-elect is that job seekers actively seek his support. Three former astronauts, including retired Air Force Lt. General Thomas Stafford, who was the head of NASA’s astronaut corps and later was instrumental in development of the B-2 Stealth bomber, have urged the Alabama lawmaker to support Mr. Cooke’s bid to head NASA.

In a separate letter to Mr. Trump, a copy of which also was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, Gen. Stafford wrote that Mr. Cooke’s “depth of experience in aerospace, inside and outside NASA, has few peers.” The letter also was signed by former astronaut Eugene Cernan, the last man to step on the moon, and former astronaut Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13, which made aerospace history when it suffered a failure on the way to the moon but returned safely due to the efforts of the crew and mission controllers.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #225 on: 12/14/2016 05:17 pm »
"By ANDY PASZTOR"  Low credibility reporter for me... seems to like to make up stuff about SpaceX to put it in a bad light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Pasztor (doesn't have a lot of the recent stuff)

My advice is discount any analysis, and check the facts independently. YMMV.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #226 on: 12/14/2016 07:51 pm »
He has a copy of Stafford's letter. So that part is true. Stafford has always been pro-SLS and pro-Constellation. The fact that he would support Cooke for NASA Administrator isn't really a surprise.   

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #227 on: 12/17/2016 03:23 am »
NASA Science Chief: 'I Have No Worries about the Resilience of This Country'

Thomas Zurbuchen on the agency’s Earth-science programs and the transition to a new president

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nasa-science-chief-i-have-no-worries-about-the-resilience-of-this-country1/
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #228 on: 12/20/2016 07:32 pm »
Via WSJ, the NASA transition team now includes,

Alan Stern

Alan Lindenmoyer

Charles Miller

Admin candidates?

Along with Elon Musk being on the Presidents Strategic and Policy Forum, it seems things are looking good for commercial.

May be paywalled
http://www.wsj.com/articles/thiel-others-push-for-trump-nasa-team-expansion-1482263645

« Last Edit: 12/20/2016 07:49 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #229 on: 12/21/2016 02:18 pm »
I can say that Charles Miller has been a long time proponent of commercial space, including a role in the founding of several space companies. He was involved in the enacting of the Launch Service Purchase Act of 1990, which jump-started our domestic commercial launch industry.

I would imagine that anyone on the Transition team who is advocating commercial space probably will not be joining NASA as an employee, unless there is some sort of new branch of NASA devoted to commercial space.

« Last Edit: 12/21/2016 05:46 pm by Danderman »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #230 on: 12/24/2016 04:37 am »
Trump's newest adviser wants to mine the moon

The addition of Charles Miller to the NASA "landing party" bodes well for private space companies

http://www.popsci.com/trumps-newest-adviser-wants-to-mine-moon

Yesterday, the president-elect appointed private space advocate and businessman Charles Miller to the NASA transition team.

Miller formerly advised NASA on its strategies for working with the commercial space industry. He co-founded NanoRacks, a company that helps others conduct research on the International Space Station, among other services. Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic, and the European Space Agency are on the company's list of clients. Miller is also the president of the consulting company NextGen Space LLC, and has a host of other qualifications.

« Last Edit: 12/24/2016 04:38 am by Danderman »

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1144
« Reply #231 on: 01/02/2017 10:44 pm »
WSJ update that Jim Bridenstine is now favorite to be NASA admin:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-rep-jim-bridenstine-seen-as-top-choice-for-nasa-chief-1483213187

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #233 on: 01/03/2017 10:14 am »

Alan Stern

Alan Lindenmoyer

Charles Miller

If Andy Pasztor reported that Stern and Lindenmoyer joined the NASA landing team, he was wrong yet again, according to the Trump transition team.

As I see it, four members of the NASA landing team have oldspace backgrounds:  Chris Shank, Steve Cook, Rodney Liesveld, and Sandy Magnus.  The clearly newspace members are Greg Autry and the newest member, Charles Miller.

I'd be willing to bet that Jeff Waksman has a newspace frame of mind, because his bio shows shows no connection with NASA or oldspace contractors, and the one space-related blurb I can find on the website of his former boss (Rep. Schweikert, R-AZ) talks up newspace.

I really don't know about Jack Burns.

So, by my count, the team consists of four oldspacers, including the chairman, three newspacers, and one unknown.  That the chairman (Shank) is oldspace puts oldspace ahead, even if the presences of Thiel and Musk on the tech advisory committee counterbalance that somewhat.

Still, I hardly expect newspace to be obliterated.  I think it's going to be something of an all-of-the-above approach, even if the Orion/SLS aspect does better than commercial stuff.  I'll bet Earth sciences are cut and the funds redistributed to Orion/SLS and commercial, with Orion/SLS-related things getting the larger share.  A small plus-up in the top line of the budget wouldn't surprise me either.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #234 on: 01/03/2017 10:50 am »

Alan Stern

Alan Lindenmoyer

Charles Miller

If Andy Pasztor reported that Stern and Lindenmoyer joined the NASA landing team, he was wrong yet again, according to the Trump transition team.
Yup. Which goes to show (again) that anything Pasztor writes is not to be taken seriously. The guy has been flat out wrong many times.

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #235 on: 01/03/2017 05:21 pm »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-rep-jim-bridenstine-seen-as-top-choice-for-nasa-chief-1483213187

I think Bridenstine would be a good choice. I remember reading his vision for NASA a while ago and being impressed. He also has the benefit of knowing how to deal with Congress (since he is a part of it).

I think it's going to be something of an all-of-the-above approach, even if the Orion/SLS aspect does better than commercial stuff.

Personally I think this would be the best outcome. An all of the above approach prevents fighting between Oldspace and Newspace and focuses the effort on actually exploring space instead of endlessly arguing over which is the best way.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #236 on: 01/05/2017 07:29 pm »
Noting a recent report in NASAWatch.com that implies that the Transition team has transmogrified into the Landing team and could be running NASA for some 120 days after the inauguration.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #237 on: 01/07/2017 02:38 am »

You need a subscription to read that article.  Here is one from Nov 11th:  http://spacenews.com/nasa-administrator-bridenstine-his-names-in-the-mix-for-trumps-space-team/

Pro tip: you don't actually need a subscription to read any WSJ article. Just paste the headline into Google and do a search on it. The first link will take you around the paywall. WSJ has had this feature for a very long time. The paywall makes it harder to read their articles or jump around on their site, but not impossible to read them.

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #238 on: 01/09/2017 03:28 am »
Blackstar, could you be the next NASA Administrator?
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #239 on: 01/09/2017 03:33 am »
Blackstar, could you be the next NASA Administrator?
Do you really hate him enough to make him do that job? :D
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography