Author Topic: Movie: "Space Camp"  (Read 11000 times)

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Movie: "Space Camp"
« Reply #20 on: 09/13/2006 01:51 am »
The movie was good, but by that time I was old enough to notice the GLARING errors.

1  Shuttle did at least 3 roll programs before they call out the roll program, about a minute late :)   (An issue with using archival footage)

2  OMS engines had the white "FRF Covers" on the nozzles, but at liftoff they were magically gone.

3  "Im sorry sir, they only have short range radios"........hmmmmm.  So for some reason they gutted the entire avionics bay and removed the normal comm systems just so they could have a plot point.

4  Jinx.....The Reason NASA Always Needs A Bigger Budget ;)

5  Have not seen the movie in a long time, but I am sure the tank CHANGED COLOR twice during the liftoff sequence, another issue with using stock NASA footage.

6  Thermal Curtian.....is there even such a thing and even if it did fail would it cause the SRB to ignite.  

7  They pushed a BUTTON to lauch the thing.............-----------------------------------

But a lot of space movies have issues like that.  Marooned showd the SatV on the pad in the final moments of the countdown and the MSS was still at the pad around the rocket.  

In Apollo 13 there is a scene where they do a corection burn and after the burn is done you hear a controller say "Roger 13 your go for entry interface".  EI is when the ships hits the atmosphere, at that point in the flight thye were a good DAY from that point :)

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
RE: Movie: "Space Camp"
« Reply #21 on: 09/13/2006 02:06 am »
Zoomer30 - 12/9/2006  8:38 PM

The movie was good, but by that time I was old enough to notice the GLARING errors.

1  Shuttle did at least 3 roll programs before they call out the roll program, about a minute late :)   (An issue with using archival footage)

2  OMS engines had the white "FRF Covers" on the nozzles, but at liftoff they were magically gone.

3  "Im sorry sir, they only have short range radios"........hmmmmm.  So for some reason they gutted the entire avionics bay and removed the normal comm systems just so they could have a plot point.

4  Jinx.....The Reason NASA Always Needs A Bigger Budget ;)

5  Have not seen the movie in a long time, but I am sure the tank CHANGED COLOR twice during the liftoff sequence, another issue with using stock NASA footage.

6  Thermal Curtian.....is there even such a thing and even if it did fail would it cause the SRB to ignite.  

7  They pushed a BUTTON to lauch the thing.............-----------------------------------

But a lot of space movies have issues like that.  Marooned showd the SatV on the pad in the final moments of the countdown and the MSS was still at the pad around the rocket.  

In Apollo 13 there is a scene where they do a corection burn and after the burn is done you hear a controller say "Roger 13 your go for entry interface".  EI is when the ships hits the atmosphere, at that point in the flight thye were a good DAY from that point :)

When I first got the movie, I didn't know near as much about the Shuttle as I did now. Now I know how much of that movie is fictionalized.

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
Re: Movie: "Space Camp"
« Reply #22 on: 09/15/2006 01:59 am »
HailColumbia - 12/9/2006  4:41 PM

Atlantis? they always told me it was the enterprise simulator that they used in the film (thus the full sized payload bay etc etc.)  maybe they used both.

You are correct as well. But for the cockpit shots it was atlantis, it had the most detail. Enterprise had a payload bay. Atlantis did not.

Speaking of which, I just popped in the dvd to watch it again!

Offline Rocket Nut

• Veteran
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: 09/15/2006 12:54 pm »
MarkD - 23/8/2006  1:34 PM

Not related, but an amusing question. Remember the movie Rocketman Disney made? The funniest scene was the little far joke Harland Williams character did to the mission commander. :) Has that ever happened to an astronaut in a suit where gas was an issue? I ask because they're in an enclosed suit.

When I flew in those suits, there was always a positive pressure in the helmet.  All airflow was from the faceplate to the body of the suit then to the outlet on the body of the suit.  Gas is always a problem when going from a higher cabin pressure to a lower cabin pressure.

Cheers,

Larry

Offline MarkSpace

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #24 on: 09/24/2006 09:17 am »
Unfortunately, I have not seen this movie, although around 1990 it was in cinemas in my country. The last day it was shown, I wasn`t at home. My brother called. I returned after one hour, then he called again about the movie and that "today is the last day of it being shown". I ran quickly to the center of city, but it was too late... so no memories of it.

Offline paulhbell07

• Extreme Veteran
  • South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #25 on: 09/24/2006 10:56 am »
I have had this dvd for a couple of years now, my 8 year old niece would rather watch this film than watch her own disney dvd's. I know it has mistakes in it, but she loves watching it. She is hoping to get to the cape before 2010 to see a real launch.

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: 09/24/2006 02:09 pm »
paulhbell07 - 24/9/2006  5:39 AM

I have had this dvd for a couple of years now, my 8 year old niece would rather watch this film than watch her own disney dvd's. I know it has mistakes in it, but she loves watching it. She is hoping to get to the cape before 2010 to see a real launch.

same for me...i'm hoping to go see 118 as it is the first available mission for me to go and see...besides, it's part of my graduation celebration! GO ENDEAVOUR!
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography