Author Topic: SpaceX Vandenberg Updates and Discussion  (Read 325795 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Re: SpaceX Vandenberg Updates and Discussion
« Reply #340 on: 11/18/2015 04:27 pm »
Take a look under the containers at the lower right corner - it appears the beams are being used to support the containers at the perimeter of the existing slab, to bring the bottoms of them level to the surface of the slab and avoid placing them on the slab itself.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Online MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #341 on: 11/18/2015 04:33 pm »
A little bird tells me it's just to be fabricating stuff in, and my guess after that is that the approaching El Nino exceedingly rainy winter made them want to keep the builders and fixtures protected during that time.

Sounds like a good explanation to me.

Offline xpete

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #342 on: 11/18/2015 06:42 pm »
Somebody from SpaceX said they need a new TEL for FH at Vandenberg and they can't buit it inside the hangar because they are using it for Jason-3.  Maybe thay are going to build the TEL inside that tent. Is that big big enough?

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #343 on: 11/18/2015 07:22 pm »
Somebody from SpaceX said they need a new TEL for FH at Vandenberg and they can't buit it inside the hangar because they are using it for Jason-3.  Maybe thay are going to build the TEL inside that tent. Is that big big enough?

That sounds very plausible for me. It explains all what we see.
Tentsize: needs to be that large because the TEL is that large
Temperary: they need to construct only one TEL
Containers: they need tools and machines, storing them in the containers
Doing on the landing pad: already prepared concrete floor, no additional work needed. Also the first launch might use the barge anyway so they the landing pad might not be needed for quite some time.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #344 on: 11/18/2015 07:49 pm »
That tent is not nearly big enough for the TEL. However it may be possible that always only the part that is worked on would be inside.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #345 on: 11/18/2015 08:08 pm »
That tent is not nearly big enough for the TEL. However it may be possible that always only the part that is worked on would be inside.

very surprising if the TEL would need to be rebuilt again.   They just rebuilt the whole pad some months ago with no launches after, as yet.
Considering how long FH has been in development, they probably moved beyond the initial design that the current TEL was designed to accommodate. Judging from what the 39A TEL looks like and the capability (Requirement?)  to go horizontal once the Falcon is released from it's hold downs, I'd say that perhaps they got a little bit ahead of themselves with the previous Vandy TEL upgrades.

It may also be the case that they don't have to redo the whole thing. Just some additions and modifications. Perhaps dramatic ones, perhaps not.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #346 on: 11/18/2015 08:10 pm »
Maybe it an unerector to get a landed stage horizontal after landing, and transport it back.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #347 on: 11/19/2015 01:18 am »

try this....SX is going after DoD contracts.

They need a service tower for vertical integration of the payload.

Now that one sounds perhaps plausible.

My wife runs a high end event company for big (huge) investment firms. I showed her the tent and she assured me it wasn't for an event. Not because it was too high or too big. But because it was too low end. Therefore I support the "temp shelter for construction" theory, and as has been mentioned, the doors in the containers could indicate excellent storage and shop space. Add the requirement for vertical integration requirement for AF contracts and there may be something there. What's the speculation on the feasibility of west coast GPS launches?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #348 on: 11/19/2015 10:50 am »

My wife runs a high end event company for big (huge) investment firms. I showed her the tent and she assured me it wasn't for an event. Not because it was too high or too big. But because it was too low end. Therefore I support the "temp shelter for construction" theory, and as has been mentioned, the doors in the containers could indicate excellent storage and shop space. Add the requirement for vertical integration requirement for AF contracts and there may be something there. What's the speculation on the feasibility of west coast GPS launches?

October through April is the rainy season in most of California. May through Sept is usually the dry season (5 or 6 months without even a sprinkle of rain). This year, due to the El Nino (warmer than normal ocean temps off the coast), we are possibly expecting heavier than normal rains. Maybe a weather shelter for construction.
« Last Edit: 11/19/2015 11:08 am by Antilope7724 »

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #349 on: 11/19/2015 02:32 pm »
Whatever this tentstructure is for, we must not forget this is the landing site under construction and it must be gone within app. 2 months. That seems too short for major construction. Why would they chose the landing pad? I am sure there must be other locations in Vandenberg that would be suitable.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #350 on: 11/19/2015 02:35 pm »

October through April is the rainy season in most of California. May through Sept is usually the dry season (5 or 6 months without even a sprinkle of rain). This year, due to the El Nino (warmer than normal ocean temps off the coast), we are possibly expecting heavier than normal rains. Maybe a weather shelter for construction.

I'm buying into that, because of the lack of flat ground nearby, and it implies barge only landings in the near future.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #351 on: 11/19/2015 10:30 pm »
Whatever this tentstructure is for, we must not forget this is the landing site under construction and it must be gone within app. 2 months. That seems too short for major construction. Why would they chose the landing pad? I am sure there must be other locations in Vandenberg that would be suitable.

Why 2 months? IIRC, last word we had was that even if Orbcomm barge landing attempt was successful, they would probably attempt a barge landing too at VAFB before attempting RTLS at VAFB. Which puts the earliest VAFB RTLS attempt at the next VAFB mission after Jason-3. Which is what...Iridium? ...NET spring 2016...?
« Last Edit: 11/19/2015 10:51 pm by Kabloona »

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #352 on: 11/20/2015 02:55 am »

Why 2 months? IIRC, last word we had was that even if Orbcomm barge landing attempt was successful, they would probably attempt a barge landing too at VAFB before attempting RTLS at VAFB. Which puts the earliest VAFB RTLS attempt at the next VAFB mission after Jason-3. Which is what...Iridium? ...NET spring 2016...?

OK -- so, four to six months, maybe.  At the earliest.

This sure ain't a permanent structure, guys.  Whatever it's for, it's obviously not in the plans for it to be there all that long.  And it likely won't take much more than a few days for a good-sized team of workers to take down.

As such, the quest for the reason(s) for the thing ought to focus on some thing or things that will be happening over no more than the next few months.  Heck, maybe it's just the location for the First Annual SpaceX Wienie Roast!  (And wait 'til you see what they use to roast the wienies... :D )
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline NewSpaceIsFun

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 186
« Reply #353 on: 11/20/2015 06:00 am »

Maybe it an unerector to get a landed stage horizontal after landing, and transport it back.

Maybe a mini TEL (aka unerector) whose only purpose is as Mike indicates. Sufficient to lift/rotate/move landed stage into assembly building for loading onto truck for SPA or McGregor, etc

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #354 on: 11/20/2015 05:47 pm »
As such, the quest for the reason(s) for the thing ought to focus on some thing or things that will be happening over no more than the next few months.  Heck, maybe it's just the location for the First Annual SpaceX Wienie Roast!  (And wait 'til you see what they use to roast the wienies... :D )
On the wiener roast idea, maybe they can pick up some pointers from the Armadillo Aerospace guys...

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #355 on: 12/01/2015 06:04 pm »
Was out on base yesterday at SLC-4. The tent is complete, covering the central section of the future landing area.

Conversation with pad personnel confirmed its most definitely not for SpaceX's Christmas party. ;)

An info note about this thread:

All future high resolution photo updates about SpaceX Vandenberg activities will be on a new dedicated L2 thread. SpaceX has voiced legitimate concerns to me about potential misuse of prior photos posted here and no further detailed ones will be posted here by me. They also said that my photos, due to their quality, have been used for internal SpaceX purposes too :)

Photo updates on Vandenberg activities will continue, discussions on how they will be shared are underway with SpaceX site management. Going forward this cooperative arrangement should be of benefit to all of us on NSF and the SpaceX'ers busy building the world's first self contained VTOL orbital spaceport. Good times ahead!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #356 on: 12/01/2015 07:10 pm »
Thanks helodriver for your VAFB photos and reports. Sorry to hear that future posts may be restricted but we can understand SpaceX's concerns with your gigapixel camera.  ;)

Offline JamesH

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #357 on: 12/01/2015 07:31 pm »
Was out on base yesterday at SLC-4. The tent is complete, covering the central section of the future landing area.

Conversation with pad personnel confirmed its most definitely not for SpaceX's Christmas party. ;)

All future high resolution photo updates about SpaceX Vandenberg activities will be on a new dedicated L2 thread. SpaceX has voiced legitimate concerns to me about potential misuse of prior photos posted here and no further detailed ones will be posted here by me. They also said that my photos, due to their quality, have been used for internal SpaceX purposes too :)

Photo updates on Vandenberg activities will continue, discussions on how they will be shared are underway with SpaceX site management. Going forward this cooperative arrangement should be of benefit to all of us on NSF and the SpaceX'ers busy building the world's first self contained VTOL orbital spaceport. Good times ahead!

Not sure I understand why, if there is a security issue, that L2 still has the photos. After all, the images are only a subscription away for somebody who really wants to see them. Still seems to be an avenue of potential misuse.

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #358 on: 12/01/2015 10:21 pm »

Thanks for your past service... regards the new L2 thread, would appreciate a link here when that thread is created...

Cheers... Gramps
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #359 on: 12/10/2015 04:03 pm »
Wait - so ignoring photographs for the time being, is there anything you can share with regards to the tent's purpose??
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography