Author Topic: CCtCap: NASA won’t abandon Commercial Crew loser  (Read 117078 times)

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
Re: CCtCap: NASA won’t abandon Commercial Crew loser
« Reply #60 on: 08/27/2014 02:35 pm »
Unless very tightly controlled, notifying Congress and the WH will leak this info. It won't go public, but whispers will get out. If sufficiently plugged-in, the contractors will know prior to the formal announcement.

They didn't for F-22 or F-35 awards.

Skip to minute 40. 
Bring the thunder!

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 653
« Reply #61 on: 08/27/2014 03:49 pm »
When I was reading this discussion, I was remembering watching this same video on television and to me it was obvious that both companies knew in advance who would win.  Starting at 42:00, the winning company had a large number of smiling employees in a big open area ready to celebrate and the other had two unhappy looking executives sitting in a small conference room.  They knew, although it may have been unofficial.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #62 on: 08/27/2014 03:50 pm »
When I was reading this discussion, I was remembering watching this same video on television and to me it was obvious that both companies knew in advance who would win.  Starting at 42:00, the winning company had a large number of smiling employees in a big open area ready to celebrate and the other had two unhappy looking executives sitting in a small conference room.  They knew, although it may have been unofficial.

Yes, that was my impression as well.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #63 on: 08/27/2014 04:22 pm »

Those Boeing executives knew. They played along for the cameras, but their demeanor was anything but excited or anticipatory.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #64 on: 08/27/2014 08:06 pm »
Heck, we're already getting leaks, and we have no financial stakes in the outcome...  ;)
I am not sure that I would call what we are getting "leaks" but that's semantics.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #65 on: 08/27/2014 09:29 pm »
Big differences between leaks and rumors. One has to consider where the whispers are coming from and what agendas are at work. And if it is all so obvious, why is an announcement still pending, nearly two weeks after some leakers called it all over for their favorite contender.  Even that message has morphed, which generally would lend more doubt to its veracity. And why are all parties still talking, lobbying as if the contest is still on? Leakers and rumormongers often are persons who want to "prove" they are in the know...and often aren't.  They just like being considered "insiders." And some real insiders leak falsities to try to influence the real outcome, or position themselves to claim unsavory influences "changed" the outcome away from a merit selection.

Offline Giovanni DS

• Regular
    • ChibiOS/RT Project
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #66 on: 08/27/2014 09:35 pm »
Big differences between leaks and rumors. One has to consider where the whispers are coming from and what agendas are at work. And if it is all so obvious, why is an announcement still pending, nearly two weeks after some leakers called it all over for their favorite contender.  Even that message has morphed, which generally would lend more doubt to its veracity. And why are all parties still talking, lobbying as if the contest is still on? Leakers and rumormongers often are persons who want to "prove" they are in the know...and often aren't.  They just like being considered "insiders." And some real insiders leak falsities to try to influence the real outcome, or position themselves to claim unsavory influences "changed" the outcome away from a merit selection.

This could be said looking at the thing from any perspective. It is not like leakers and rumormongers are more specific of any part.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688

Offline tesla

• Researcher
  • State College, PA, USA
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #69 on: 08/28/2014 03:32 pm »
Go SLS and Orion! God bless America.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Last Edit: 08/28/2014 03:41 pm by Lars_J »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #71 on: 08/28/2014 03:51 pm »
Dragon V2 update:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/08/dragon-v2-rely-parachutes-landing/

Great read Chris, thanks!

Mr. Bergin often doesn't like to give complete sources on his articles. here is one source on this article.
http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Reisman_8-27-14/Reisman.mp3

From the article:
noted the former Shuttle astronaut to Future In-Space Operations (FISO) Working Group this week.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #72 on: 09/11/2014 07:27 pm »
Heh. Everyone pick a day and a time between now and October 1, then call the NASA Headquarters Media Contact, Allard Beutel at 202-358-2191, and ask for a 15 minute phone interview to ask questions about some random topic.

Based a block of his un-availability that will appear as everyone reports back in, we'll be able to discern when the downselect is going to happen!

(Please DON'T call the poor man, that was a joke).

Bring the thunder!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #73 on: 09/11/2014 10:36 pm »
Heads up: policy sites are reporting the budget CR may be delayed due to Obama's request  for "War on IS" funding.
DM

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #74 on: 09/11/2014 10:52 pm »
Ya, don't call anyone asking for interviews unless you have legit press credentials and actually want an interview...

Heads up: policy sites are reporting the budget CR may be delayed due to Obama's request  for "War on IS" funding.

Eh, the first time I read that I read "war on ISS" ... whew.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #75 on: 09/11/2014 10:57 pm »

not to go all political, but it is on-topic...
This is confirmed:  I heard yesterday (from House members via NPR) that the Republican controlled house will not pass the CR until they have full vetting of the "war" and how much involvement they have in calling the shots.  Too bad they weren't so active and interested in 2003...

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #76 on: 09/11/2014 10:59 pm »

Congress may want him to apply for a new War Powers Resolution authorization, while the Administration is talking about piggy-backing the authorities granted in the Iraq War authorization but with new funding.

Either way it moves the CR right.
« Last Edit: 09/11/2014 11:06 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #77 on: 09/11/2014 11:14 pm »
They have until Sep 30 to compromise, or there's another government shutdown.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #78 on: 09/11/2014 11:57 pm »
Election Day Tuesday, November 4, 2014. They all want to cover their a$$es... ::)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #79 on: 09/12/2014 12:50 am »

Just to remind folks....  that may, or may not, have nothing to do with the delays.

IMHO, I suspect it does because I think NASA's selection is likely that the number picked is based on money available.  With NASA maximizing number despite the reality of the money.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography