Author Topic: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program  (Read 419509 times)

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Re: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane 1 (XS-1) Program
« Reply #340 on: 02/20/2014 12:33 am »
does anyone have a saved copy of that powerpoint?

the link is not returning anything.

Looks like the FISO web site is back up. There is also the audio file to go along with powerpoint file.

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Sponable_2-5-14/

Offline darkbluenine

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 51

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #342 on: 03/29/2014 11:16 am »
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/03/24/darpa-moves-phoenix-alasa-xs1-projects/

By Douglas Messier
Managing Editor

DARPA’s proposed budget for FY 2015 calls for a significant increase in its Experimental Spaceplane One (XS-1) program and smaller boosts in the Airborne Launch Assist Space Access (ALASA) program and Project Phoenix, budget documents show.

The defense agency has requested $27 million for re-useable XS-1 space plane this year, a significant boost over the $10 million being spent for FY 2014. With the increase in funding, DARPA plans to conduct a preliminary design review (PDR) and select a single vendor for final design, fabrication and flight test in the coming fiscal year, which will start on Oct. 1.

The XS-1 program is designed to launch payloads weighing 3,000-5,000 lbs (1,361-2,268 kg) to low earth orbit at a cost at least 10 times less expensive to current launch vehicles. DARPA accepted proposals from potential vendors earlier this year and is currently evaluating them.

ALASA is focused on the other end of the payload spectrum. The program is focused on developing a system that can air-launch an 100-lb (45-kg) spacecraft into low Earth orbit for $1 million. The goal is to be able to launch satellites from anywhere in the world to respond quickly to crises.

DARPA has requested $55 million for the program in FY 2015, an increase from the $42.5 million being spent this year. During the upcoming fiscal year, the goal is to conduct launches to demonstrate achieve, including 100 pounds into low earth orbit.

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #343 on: 04/04/2014 04:58 am »
I'm hearing rumors that companies are now being notified about whether they were selected or not. I'm not sure how soon we'll hear details on who won.  DARPA requires you to submit any press releases to their DISTAR approval process, which typically takes ~30 days, so it may be a while before we hear who won, but I've at least heard that companies are now being contacted.

I'm interested in seeing how my predictions/handicapping turns out.

~Jon

Offline jongoff

« Reply #344 on: 07/01/2014 01:01 am »
Looks like the rumors I've been hearing for the past three months that Masten Space Systems was one of the XS-1 contract winners were correct:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=b14a117bdb24046b7d59d462cd86ca88&tab=core&_cview=0

$3M Phase 1 contract. It doesn't explicitly state whether or not Masten has subcontractors, so we'll probably have to wait a while for the press release. As mentioned in the last post, the DARPA DISTAR release approval process can take up to 30 days (even for a tweet...) so we may have to hold tight. But hopefully we'll hear more on the other contract winners soon.

(h/t Graham Warwick of AviationWeek)

~Jon

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #345 on: 07/01/2014 02:51 pm »
Awesome! Thanks, Jon!

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13605
« Reply #347 on: 07/01/2014 06:18 pm »
So so far we've got Northrup Gruman (probably winged?) and Masten (what's their preferred architecture?)

Anyone else?
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
« Reply #348 on: 07/01/2014 07:37 pm »
So so far we've got Northrup Gruman (probably winged?) and Masten (what's their preferred architecture?)

Anyone else?

Those are the only two I could find with various keywords on the fbo.gov site. And VTVL, like God and Robert Heinlein intended, is a pretty safe bet for Masten.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #349 on: 07/01/2014 07:48 pm »
No Lockheed or Boeing then, that's a bit surprising.

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
« Reply #350 on: 07/01/2014 09:45 pm »

No formal announcement yet, these are just dribblings from the fbo site. So, we probably haven't seen who all the players are yet.

Offline jongoff

« Reply #351 on: 07/01/2014 09:49 pm »

No formal announcement yet, these are just dribblings from the fbo site. So, we probably haven't seen who all the players are yet.

Agreed. I think Jess was talking about 3-6 players for Phase 1, so I expect we'll see at least one other team show up over the next several days/weeks.

~Jon

Offline jongoff

« Reply #352 on: 07/01/2014 09:52 pm »

Anyone else?

Those are the only two I could find with various keywords on the fbo.gov site. And VTVL, like God and Robert Heinlein intended, is a pretty safe bet for Masten.

I think Dave might be personally offended if someone suggested putting wings on one of his rockets... :-)

~Jon

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #353 on: 07/02/2014 06:40 am »

Agreed. I think Jess was talking about 3-6 players for Phase 1, so I expect we'll see at least one other team show up over the next several days/weeks.

~Jon

Thanks. I'd put my money on one of them being Lockheed judging by their seeming interest in this area.

Offline jongoff

« Reply #354 on: 07/02/2014 06:07 pm »

~Jon

Thanks. I'd put my money on one of them being Lockheed judging by their seeming interest in this area.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see. I'm thinking we'll see at least one other dark horse small company win, and then the rest going to more traditional players.

~Jon

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #355 on: 07/02/2014 06:52 pm »

~Jon

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see. I'm thinking we'll see at least one other dark horse small company win, and then the rest going to more traditional players.

~Jon

If they do enter I would think the conceptual research they must have done into the propulsion for the SR-72 proposal will be of use here I would have thought. It's hard to gauge though as even as a concept for obvious reasons it's detail is shrouded in secrecy.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #356 on: 07/02/2014 07:41 pm »

~Jon

~Jon

I'm picking XCOR as the other dark horse. The artist concepts of XS-1 is what XCOR plan to do with Lynx III but on larger scale.

Offline jongoff

« Reply #357 on: 07/02/2014 08:40 pm »

~Jon

~Jon

I'm picking XCOR as the other dark horse. The artist concepts of XS-1 is what XCOR plan to do with Lynx III but on larger scale.

It may be incorrect, but the rumor I've heard is that XCOR didn't win a contract. Hopefully I'm wrong, I'd love to see XCOR get some funding for fleshing out their orbital work too. I prefer VTVL, but also would like to see other approaches tried out as well.

~Jon

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #358 on: 07/02/2014 08:53 pm »
It maybe the best for XCOR, they need to focus on getting Lynx 1 operational.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #359 on: 07/02/2014 11:00 pm »

It maybe the best for XCOR, they need to focus on getting Lynx 1 operational.

Agree I think something like this would be too much of a distraction.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography