Author Topic: Columbia STS 61-C / Should I Stay or Should I Go?  (Read 78293 times)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Columbia STS 61-C / Should I Stay or Should I Go?
« Reply #220 on: 02/26/2012 09:33 pm »
L2 has high-resolution photos of mission 61-C at

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=13709.0

And of course you all know what was coming next. So what I am preparing for you right now is not the usual flight presentation you’ve gotten accustomed to by now. It will be a four-part documentation on the ill-fated 51-L launch and its aftermath. It probably will bring back bad memories for some of us, but nonetheless it is an important part of the Space Shuttle program – a story worth to be told in detail.

Online Naito

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #221 on: 02/27/2012 03:56 pm »
Thank you so much for doing these posts, it really brings the golden age of the shuttle to life for those of us too young to remember them.  Really feels like reliving that era.
Carl C.

Offline Kyra's kosmos

• Spacecraft "Vostok" Control and Instrument Panel Site
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #222 on: 03/04/2012 10:23 pm »
One previously unknown fact about the CHAMP (Comet Haley Active Monitoring Program) was a high quality camera with an light intensifier, was that it wasn't an equipment "failure" as much as an event involving a technician who was the mid-deck prior to launch. The curiosity apparently got the better of him and he turned the unit on in the mid-deck lighting - and it "fried" the image intensifier.  To top it off he left it on, draining the batteries. So even when George "Pinky" Nelson replaced them on orbit the unit was not working correctly.

« Last Edit: 03/04/2012 10:27 pm by Kyra's kosmos »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography