Author Topic: OV-105 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Los Angeles)  (Read 98365 times)

Offline WheelsStop

Re: OV-105 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Los Angeles)
« Reply #80 on: 09/16/2012 05:40 pm »
A note about SLF viewing and photography.  You're close enough that you will not need an especially long lens.  A fast lens will be more important.  The photo below was taken at 105mm on a 1.6x crop sensor. 

While lighting conditions may or may not be similar, during the dawn taxi my exposure settings were: ISO 400, f/3.2, 1/100s. 

Offline spacecane

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: 09/16/2012 05:53 pm »
Thanks for the info and especially the photography tip.  One last thing, was there enough space on the bleachers not to have to worry that I'll end up standing with people in front of me?

Thanks again!

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #82 on: 09/16/2012 06:36 pm »
Thanks for the info and especially the photography tip.  One last thing, was there enough space on the bleachers not to have to worry that I'll end up standing with people in front of me?

Judge for yourself...  This was after the taxi-by and everyone was waiting for the takeoff.

I got there on one of the earlier buses and was able to get a spot on the fenceline with my tripod.  It ultimately didn't do any good, because the 100-400mm required me to pan across the SCA and orbiter, and I rushed those photos without letting vibrations settle out. :(  I took most of my shots with a handheld 70-200 f/2.8.

Offline david1971

• Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 16569
I flew on SOFIA four times.

Offline dwfx

• Visual Effects Guy
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #84 on: 09/18/2012 09:05 pm »
I was at LAX yesterday and if you happen to be in the United terminals there are some decent viewing options of the 25L approach area.  Head to the SE-most terminal and there are some windows where you can see the approach and start of the rollout.  The touchdown zone might be partially blocked by a Delta building across the street, but should be a good view.

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #85 on: 09/18/2012 09:20 pm »
I was looking at the Discovery thread to try and find the route it might take immediately after takeoff and found a link for people to use to track it across the country:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA905

This should help people track the shuttle on the three flights the next few days.

Someone had also posted this warning about Flight Aware:

Flightaware will only track if it is on an IFR flight plan and/or under IFR control.  If they go VFR to maneuver, you will not get flight aware tracking.  Furthermore, flight aware lags....sometimes substantially.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2012 09:22 pm by stuart_wildcat »

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #86 on: 09/18/2012 09:37 pm »
This is the post from the Discovery thread that has the routes they had planned around KSC for that flyout.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=27689.msg882978#msg882978

They deviated from this a little though. After they flew out on runway 15 and looped around Cocoa Beach they came back to the visitor center as planned.  Then they flew into the sunrise to the east and turned around and came over the visitor center again before going to the north.

Also, if you aren't aware, the visitor center is charging parking now unless you are an annual passholder.

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #87 on: 09/18/2012 10:14 pm »
Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) have been updated for the new ferry flight timeline:

9/19 1500-1700Z (10A-noon local) below 3000' 20 nautical miles around JSC
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_4920.html

9/21 1500-1630Z (8-9:30A local) below 5000' 25 nautical miles around McClellan AFB, Sacramento
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_5055.html

9/21 1530-1730Z (8:30-10:30A local) below 5000' 25 nautical miles around San Francisco Airport
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_5057.html

9/21 1730-2030Z (10:30A-1:30P local) below 5000' 30 nautical miles around LAX
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_2_5058.html

These pretty much define the time windows to expect flyovers.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #88 on: 09/18/2012 10:22 pm »
I was looking at the Discovery thread to try and find the route it might take immediately after takeoff and found a link for people to use to track it across the country

That link was blocked during the other move, so no reason to think it will work this time.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #89 on: 09/19/2012 12:08 am »
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/status_reports/SCA_Endeavour_status_09_12.html

Endeavour Flyover Routes Over California Detailed
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 4:25:42 PM PDT

Any time after 8:30 am on Friday September 21, watch for flyovers of Endeavour in the Sacramento and San Francisco Bay areas. Suggested viewing locations include the State Capitol in Sacramento, some of the San Francisco area museums including the Bay Area Discovery Museum, Chabot Space and Science Center, Exploratorium, Lawrence Hall of Science and the Monterey Bay Aquarium near Santa Cruz and Monterey.

Any time after 10:30 am on Friday, September 21, watch for flyovers of Endeavour in the Los Angeles area. You may have an opportunity to see Endeavour passing regional landmarks such as California Science Center, Disneyland, The Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles International Airport and Malibu, among others.

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #90 on: 09/19/2012 02:40 am »
They deviated from this a little though. After they flew out on runway 15 and looped around Cocoa Beach they came back to the visitor center as planned.  Then they flew into the sunrise to the east and turned around and came over the visitor center again before going to the north.

The SCA pilot called SLF Tower after the first VC pass and advised doing a right 360 "to better align with the runway".  As good an excuse as any to fly over the KSC HQ area some more :)

Incidentally, playing that tape back tonight I noticed a small oops.  SLF Tower said "Runway 15, cleared low approach"...  The low approach was actually Rwy 33.

That link was blocked during the other move, so no reason to think it will work this time.

Not sure that it was technically blocked.  The Discovery ferry flew under a different callsign - PLUTO 95.  Guess we'll see what they use in the morning.  Hoping the lack of tracking was just due to DC security concerns.  (They never blocked an operating shuttle ferry, so why a retiring shuttle ferry?)

For all those watching from the SLF and KSCVC in the morning, enjoy the show!

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #91 on: 09/19/2012 04:44 am »
For those watching the arrival in Los Angeles...  Local news sources are reporting that the 300-600 blocks of East Imperial Ave (basically 2 blocks on either side of Imperial Hill) will be a pedestrian zone starting 9AM Friday. 

Here's the El Segundo Police advisory with a link to a map.
https://local.nixle.com/alert/4887986/

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #92 on: 09/19/2012 07:41 am »
Not sure that it was technically blocked.

According to NASA public affairs, the FAA purposely blocked public flight tracking of the ferry flight and its associated aircraft, and will be doing so again for Endeavour's ferry flight.

Offline ngc3314

• Bill's data repository
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: 09/19/2012 04:39 pm »
Endeavour over Stennis Space Center. For the first approach picture, I used the same manual 400mm lens I used to shoot the landing of STS-1 at Edwards. Next to the public viewing area, Stennis employees lined up for a photo-op behind a large flat congratulatory banner.

The orbiter was visible for barely more than 90 seconds, with low buildings and distant trees to E and W.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #94 on: 09/19/2012 11:33 pm »
Not sure that it was technically blocked.

According to NASA public affairs, the FAA purposely blocked public flight tracking of the ferry flight and its associated aircraft, and will be doing so again for Endeavour's ferry flight.

Yet they never did that when the orbiters were operational.....

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #95 on: 09/20/2012 04:15 am »
I'll be IN LAX Terminal an hour after Endeavour lands, think I'll be able to see her from there? Have a couple hours before my next flight to walk around, any suggestions where to go?
Carl C.

Offline dwfx

• Visual Effects Guy
  • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #96 on: 09/20/2012 06:08 am »
I'll be IN LAX Terminal an hour after Endeavour lands, think I'll be able to see her from there? Have a couple hours before my next flight to walk around, any suggestions where to go?

Which airline?

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
« Reply #97 on: 09/20/2012 11:31 am »

Which airline?
United
Carl C.

Offline dwfx

• Visual Effects Guy
  • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #98 on: 09/20/2012 03:37 pm »

Which airline?
United

If you can get to LAX early enough for the landing though there should be a great view from the end of Terminal 8 or 7.  I don't know if you'll be able to see her after she lands though - the parking area is pretty far West of the terminals.  You could try the observation deck above the restaurant in the center of the airport though.

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
« Reply #99 on: 09/20/2012 03:41 pm »
My flight lands at 2:15, so the schedule estimates right now would mean she'd land about an hour and a half before me.  It would be a terrible case of "so close yet so far" if I can't see her =(  Will try the observation deck, thanks for the suggestion!
Carl C.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography