Author Topic: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 140072 times)

Offline sts126

Re: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #20 on: 01/11/2010 07:33 am »
I'd second the comments above regarding parking placard.. On launches that are early in morning 2-3am (128 early attempts late Aug) the kscvc never really closes they don't kick you out like they would on a normal day. Just arrive before the gate security starts. I wish I could remember how far in advance it was several hours maybe 4 hours or so..  And the guest services people would give the placard for dash of your car while in parking lot. They said they'd tow (on this launch after 11pm) so it's worth getting something from them the day before. For a 430am launch they'll have placard times getting you there no later than around 2ish with many arrival times probably starting 11pm or so..I doubt kscvc will close at all on the 6th.
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline sts126

« Reply #21 on: 01/11/2010 07:40 am »
Can anyone who wound up with Congressional tickets to STS-129 in November or STS-125 in May tell me: were they Causeway tickets, or did you wind up at Banana Creek?

It looks as though at least a few Congressional ticket holders at STS-119, STS-127 and STS-128 eventually made it to Banana Creek -- but they had so many scrubs, I figure they're aberrations in terms of standard procedure. I'm curious as to what a more crowded launch experience -- one with fewer postponements -- was like.

Historically there seems to be lots of chatter in the "Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)" threads from people with Congressional tickets in the lead up to the day of a launch, but no real follow ups from people on site or afterwards to say where they finally ended up.

(I've managed to acquire a pair of Congressional tickets, but I don't know if I'll have any idea which location I'll be going to prior to seeing which way the bus turns out of the parking lot that night.)

Thanks!
good question , for the delayed 127 & 128 we were always scheduled for Banana Creek  on 127 about 2 weeks before they confirmed BC on 128 nasa causeway was never an option I believe rep said budget for remainder of year only had BC (I took that as meaning smaller # of tickets available fewer buses to rent, etc they don't use KSC VC buses) merritt square mall near sears was pickup point
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Offline sts126

« Reply #22 on: 01/14/2010 10:00 pm »
has anyone been able to view a launch from the area of haulover canal? if you google map Allenhurst, FLA, a ghost town now part of National Seashore is located at the haulover canal along with a linked video shot from it appears this area for sts-119. I know the park personnel close the max brewer causeway on east side, but how about the approach from the north down highway 3 to haulover. When I called Canaveral Seashore, woman said all of highway 3 is closed. But she had to check with someone and I don't really have confidence in her answer, especially based on this video . it's a well done video by the way.

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 01/15/2010 03:31 am »
has anyone been able to view a launch from the area of haulover canal? if you google map Allenhurst, FLA, a ghost town now part of National Seashore is located at the haulover canal along with a linked video shot from it appears this area for sts-119. I know the park personnel close the max brewer causeway on east side, but how about the approach from the north down highway 3 to haulover. When I called Canaveral Seashore, woman said all of highway 3 is closed. But she had to check with someone and I don't really have confidence in her answer, especially based on this video . it's a well done video by the way.

The security checkpoint is setup just beyond the Haulover Canal bridge, at least it was for STS-129, so I assume it's the same for all flights. Coming from the North you should be able to go as far as that bridge.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #24 on: 01/15/2010 05:40 am »

The security checkpoint is setup just beyond the Haulover Canal bridge, at least it was for STS-129, so I assume it's the same for all flights. Coming from the North you should be able to go as far as that bridge.

Route 3 closes at the Haulover Canal bridge.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #25 on: 01/16/2010 11:47 am »
will there be a NSF diner at Dixie's ??
Jacques :-)

Offline lsullivan411

« Reply #26 on: 01/16/2010 12:40 pm »

I'm quite sure we'll have the usual dinner Jacques - we'll get some info posted probably in the next week or so.

Look forward to seeing you again!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #27 on: 01/16/2010 04:58 pm »

I'm quite sure we'll have the usual dinner Jacques - we'll get some info posted probably in the next week or so.

Look forward to seeing you again!

I've been thinking about that. Might be breakfast somewhere instead of dinner. I just don't think dinner will work given a 4:39a.m. launch time. more will be posted later this evening.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 01/17/2010 10:06 am »

Is it an option (if we do breakfast) to go the the Ihop in Titusville ?

Other option is to have diner the day after launch ??
« Last Edit: 01/17/2010 10:06 am by jacqmans »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #29 on: 01/19/2010 07:24 pm »
OK. It's that magically time of year again when Space Shuttle season is in bloom. Okay. Okay. Corny, I know.

FOR ALL NSF members who are traveling to Florida to witness the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on February 7, I will be putting together a dinner for all NSF members who would like to meet up with one another for dinner while in Titusville.

Since STS-130 is an early morning launch, what I have decided (with the help of Larry Sullivan) is that it would be best to meet for DINNER on SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6 at 8p.m. This is the EVENING BEFORE liftoff. The reason I am choosing this date and time is mainly for Larry Sullivan and I who will be covering the liftoff from the KSC Press Site for NSF and Jacques who will be covering the launch from the KSC Press Site for a European company. We will eat at 8p.m. so that Larry, Jacques, and I can leave at 10p.m. to make it to work at a reasonable time before liftoff.

So, any NSF member (and guest(s) you are bringing) who is interested in meeting up for dinner at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville on Saturday, February 6 a 8p.m. please send me a PM with your name and cell phone number at which I can reach you while you are in town.

I look forward to meeting some of you! To all who are traveling over, up, down, or sideways for this launch, I wish you all safe travels.

GO Endeavour, STS-130, Node-3, and Cupola.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2010 10:06 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #30 on: 01/19/2010 09:38 pm »
DINNER on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 6 at 8p.m.

The 6th is a Saturday. I'm guessing the get together is Saturday night and not Friday night, correct?

Offline lsullivan411

« Reply #31 on: 01/19/2010 09:56 pm »
DINNER on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 6 at 8p.m.

The 6th is a Saturday. I'm guessing the get together is Saturday night and not Friday night, correct?

That is correct!  It should read DINNER on SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6 at 8p.m.  Chris will get his post fixed once he gets back to a compuer, thanks for pointing out the error!
« Last Edit: 01/19/2010 10:09 pm by lsullivan411 »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #32 on: 01/19/2010 10:08 pm »
I've corrected the day in the original post.

Dinner is Saturday, February 6.

Offline John M

• Upstate SC
« Reply #33 on: 01/20/2010 01:09 am »
OK guys, newbie here, and I have to say from what Ive read so far, you guys are alot smarter than me on this. I have always been a fan of th shuttle, and ejoy wathcing it go up on TV, but Im sure nothing is like veiwing live. I plan on going to the July launch as part of a family vacation, and have made plans in case of a scrub for a few days anyways. I know theres plenty for us to do. So my question is, when you contacted your Congressmen for tickets, what excatly did you say, and how did you contact them, email, written letter, phone call? Also how far in advance are these obtainable? Thanks!

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #34 on: 01/20/2010 06:45 am »
Brand new here so bear with me if this is wrong place to ask, but I did not see where to start a new post. I have question on times for the Feb 7th launch. My car placard says arrive at KSC no later then 1130 pm. then my tickets say use them no earlier then 230 am. This 3 hour window. Do we sit in our car in the parking lot or what? Thank you to anyone who can tell me about it.

Offline fura

• Launches: 130 Scrubs:125
  • Mariefred, Sweden
« Reply #35 on: 01/20/2010 08:13 am »
Brand new here so bear with me if this is wrong place to ask, but I did not see where to start a new post. I have question on times for the Feb 7th launch. My car placard says arrive at KSC no later then 1130 pm. then my tickets say use them no earlier then 230 am. This 3 hour window. Do we sit in our car in the parking lot or what? Thank you to anyone who can tell me about it.

This is also a first for me, I believe you can wait at the KSVC and the time on your ticket is when you can board the bus to the causeway, assuming that is causeway tickets you have.

I have another question, since you apparently have received your tickets KSVC has started shipping them. I live in Sweden so I am a bit anxious about receiving them before I leave (probably on the 5th).
I am told that they will be handled by Fedex International and they will email me a tracking number (so far no email has arrrived).
Does anyone know when they usually ship and when I really should start worrying and call KSVC? Thanks in advance

Regards and looking forward to the launch/ Mats

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 01/20/2010 11:01 am »

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
« Reply #37 on: 01/20/2010 03:28 pm »

I agree, when I looked at my STS-130 KSCVC tickets yesterday I was also confused. But my tickets say 'no earlier than 2:30' (not am or pm) so I'm guessing it means 2:30 pm on Saturday the 6th (2:30 am on the 7th would be impossible to get everyone through security before the 4:39 launch but then again why didn't they write 14:30?). I don't know if that means KSCVC will close early for regular admission on the 6th and then reopen at 2:30 pm for the STS-130 launch or what. Guess we'll find out on the 6th. I think the main thing is to be there before the time on the placard.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #38 on: 01/20/2010 03:47 pm »

I went to see STS128 which had a couple of delays. No one even looked at the times on our tickets and my wife and I turned up hours early and took our time looking at the displays, eating, sitting on the grass and relaxing each time. We had enjoyable days each time.

While there is not really a 'bad view' on the causeway because it slopes down to the water almost like stadium seating, if you want to be right in front (like me) make sure you line up early. There will be plenty of like minded folk there so plenty of people to talk with.

(One note here, do not go too far east on the causeway because most of the shuttle is blocked from some parts by a small island.)

Most importantly, relax, go with the flow, and enjoy the occasion. It one of the most spectacular things you will ever see!

Paul
« Last Edit: 01/20/2010 09:08 pm by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #39 on: 01/20/2010 05:52 pm »
JEFF2SPACE, not going to causeway. they were already gone;. But i did not think that 230 would mean 230 pm , because I assume everything with NASA would be military time and that would be 1430. I am going to go back through some of the other missions as someone suggested and look for the answer and will post back if I find anything. I CANT WAIT!!!
And to the person in sweden,I got mine today by fed ex, so your may be on way, but I never got a tracking number nor was told. That may be for out of country.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography