Author Topic: New Shepard - 7th test flight - December 12, 2017  (Read 63040 times)

Online Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: New Shepard - 7th test flight - December 12, 2017
« Reply #100 on: 12/15/2017 02:00 pm »
Also their landing pad bot "Blue2D2".

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/941467037905272833

This additional media release is much better! Agreed about that view, incredible.
It looks confused.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #101 on: 12/15/2017 02:02 pm »
Also their landing pad bot "Blue2D2".

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/941467037905272833

This additional media release is much better! Agreed about that view, incredible.
It looks confused.

It looks just to be a camera bot to do a quick lookaround.

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #102 on: 12/15/2017 03:36 pm »
Needs the following, at least:

(1) Better FOD cleaning beforehand.  While it was good (for this video) to see flakes of stuff floating around in the air in zero-G, I wouldn't want that stuff going up my nose.

(2) An altimeter and a velocimeter visible to the passenger.

As Trevor mentioned, this capsule appears to have an unfinished interior, especially with all those open bolts around the windows (I almost wonder if 10 minutes is enough time to undo them all).

Here's a concept design Blue released a while back, which shows full interior finish and screens visible to each passenger, which would presumably have altitude and velocity.  Hopefully the FOD issues will also be helped by a better finish, but that's not a guarantee.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
New Shepard - 7th test flight - December 12, 2017
« Reply #103 on: 12/15/2017 05:44 pm »

(1) Better FOD cleaning beforehand.  While it was good (for this video) to see flakes of stuff floating around in the air in zero-G, I wouldn't want that stuff going up my nose.

Yeah, I refuse to go until these critical items are addressed! Unacceptable! :p
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 05:45 pm by Lars-J »

Offline rpapo

« Reply #104 on: 12/15/2017 05:47 pm »

Oh, and I forgot.  An accelerometer for g-forces.  We could tell when zero-g started and when it ended from the floating motes, but we go no sense of the accelerations from the video.

Of course, a real nerd could take the derivative of the velocimeter readings...
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 837
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #105 on: 12/15/2017 06:06 pm »

Oh, and I forgot.  An accelerometer for g-forces.  We could tell when zero-g started and when it ended from the floating motes, but we go no sense of the accelerations from the video.

Well, what I need is a pricetag, to know how long I need to save up. Daaamn that looks fun. And scary. That sound is amazing! I hope those suits come with built-in diapers and barfbags, especially after seeing all that stuff float around in there.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #106 on: 12/15/2017 07:28 pm »
Crewed vehicles with ECLSS will have cabin ventilation with screens that catch debris in the airflow in micro-gravity...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #107 on: 12/15/2017 07:31 pm »
The flight experiment capsule offers a totally new opportunity for zeroG experiment. Till now it has been few seconds in plane, few minutes in very small unpressurized high launch G sounding rocket or ISS. NG gives a few minutes of zeroG in large pressurized environment, low launch G with option of human operator. For 1000s dollar and flight opportunities every few months or weeks and maybe days in future.

Its not just limited to experiments, there may well be commercial  manufacturing.

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #108 on: 12/15/2017 08:08 pm »

Speaking of which, I was hearing soft beeping throughout flight. Maybe that was encoded telemetry, as is available on amateur rocketry avionics packages. Anyone recognize any of the beep patterns?
psas.pdx.edu

« Reply #109 on: 12/15/2017 08:10 pm »

As Trevor mentioned, this capsule appears to have an unfinished interior, especially with all those open bolts around the windows (I almost wonder if 10 minutes is enough time to undo them all).

Here's a concept design Blue released a while back, which shows full interior finish and screens visible to each passenger, which would presumably have altitude and velocity.  Hopefully the FOD issues will also be helped by a better finish, but that's not a guarantee.

Here are some of the stats displayed on the passenger screen at the Demo displayed at OshKosh 2017

« Reply #110 on: 12/15/2017 08:25 pm »
Here is a side by side comparison between Oshkosh and flight 7. Interesting to me how the seats appear to be different. The display seat may be just a show piece.  Here I was thinking at least i got to sit in a seat "like" the one going into space. 

There doesn't appear to be abort motor structure either.

(blacked out the unsuspecting strangers face)

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #111 on: 12/15/2017 09:25 pm »
The abort motor would be optional for unmanned experiment capsule. Trade, risk losing expensive capsule against extra paying payloads.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #112 on: 12/16/2017 03:28 am »
Speaking of which, I was hearing soft beeping throughout flight. Maybe that was encoded telemetry, as is available on amateur rocketry avionics packages. Anyone recognize any of the beep patterns?

According to Bezos' tweet that beeping was from a payload, and not directly from the capsule.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #113 on: 12/16/2017 03:39 am »

Here are some of the stats displayed on the passenger screen at the Demo displayed at OshKosh 2017

Altitude in feet, velocity in Mach number, acceleration in g’s, and the Von Karman line in km.
America at its finest: civilian rocket technology and a hodgepodge of units
Maybe they will give the passengers a zero-g abacus to convert the altitude from kft to km so they can celebrate passing 100.
I hope they have an Imperial tonne of fun.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #114 on: 12/16/2017 09:23 pm »
Agreed about that view, incredible.

But the best thing about this video are the amazing sounds! - Makes it feel like being there.

Really great vid.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #115 on: 12/17/2017 03:20 am »
What altitude is it at 2:30 in the interior video?  That's where the sky goes completely black. Which means that is "space" for the layperson.

2:30 to 6:00 is space.
« Last Edit: 12/17/2017 07:32 am by Norm38 »

Online JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #116 on: 12/17/2017 03:58 am »
Interesting way to use social media:
Put out mandatory NOTAM, knowing notice of your intent to fly will get out & be discussed.
Fly and land rocket & capsule, say nothing.
As rumours and speculation about whether or not there were issues say absolutely nothing.
Then, late in the evening when social media is in the middle of a frenzy about Alabama release a short video declaring mission success & brag about big windows. Don't show a view from the windows.
Almost exactly what Sierra Nevada did with Dream Chaser ALT-2. That was a long day waiting for confirmation and images/video.

Disingenuously dub in a voice over "live from west Texas".  Don't say or show anything that differentiates this test and video from the previous tests other than "next generation".
Done.

Bold strategy.

The broadcast could have been going out in real time to select, interested parties, like the BO crew in Washington, investors, etc., thus "Live from West Texas" would have been appropriate.

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81673
  • Likes Given: 36940
« Reply #117 on: 12/18/2017 03:46 pm »
Ashby: Capsule has full ECLSS (life support) and triple redundancy.  All-envelope pusher escape system. Flawless flight last week. #NSRC2017

https://twitter.com/rand_simberg/status/942791293238996992

Ashby showing sensed acceleration, max 5G at about 400 seconds into flight. A little over three minutes of microgravity. #NSRC2017

https://twitter.com/rand_simberg/status/942792913196634117
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 03:47 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline scdavis

• Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #118 on: 12/18/2017 05:04 pm »
But the best thing about this video are the amazing sounds! - Makes it feel like being there.

Agreed! There's a lot of rich data in the audio. Could we make an attempt at a timeline of the video listing events that can be seen or heard? There were a bunch of unusual sounds which I couldn't place. The gas thruster sound was obvious after a while. Others were harder... for instance, can a turbo pump startup sequence sound like a rough internal combustion engine starting?? I heard what sounded like a pickup truck starting a few times ;-)

We ought to be able to identify the moment of release from the first stage, engine start/stops, parachute deployment(s), etc. Unfortunately I don't know enough about this vehicle or rocket engine sounds in general to make a firm guess about much.

If we could make a timeline, I bet someone could add closed captions to the video in sync with events... that would be awesome!

-- Scott

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #119 on: 12/19/2017 05:22 pm »
...the best thing about this video are the amazing sounds! - Makes it feel like being there.

Had I been there, I would have unstrapped and ripped the power cord off of whatever was doing that incessant, constant, infernal beeping.

I want to feel like I'm going into space, not like I'm working a submarine sonar by ear... :(
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography