Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Zuma : January 7/8, 2018, CCAFS : DISCUSSION  (Read 786489 times)

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
Re: SpaceX F9 : Zuma : January 7/8, 2018, CCAFS : DISCUSSION
« Reply #240 on: 11/13/2017 09:32 pm »
Where does the name "Zuma" come from? Who named it?

If I remember correctly, the name “Zuma” is of South African heritage, which is why Elon Musk named the payload “Zuma”.

No. Zuma is the codename used by the government (unclear which agency) and the contractor (Northrop Grumman). Nothing to do with Elon Musk and SpaceX.

Perhaps the Code name was indeed selected with Musk's South African background in mind. These code names are not always randomly chosen. One of the 60ies secret SIGINT missions was named LONG JOHN after a very tall team member, who developed the payload and WILD BILL was also named after one of the team members. Perhaps we will know, when ZUMA gets declassified in 50 years.
I suggested that on page two but the mods suggested we stop guessing and leave it be. I got it wrong too, his first name that is. I've spoken to many South Africans who suggest Zuma's wealth is accumulated through corrupt means. I don't know if that's true or not but I guess Musk would know that and would be smart enough not to get involved. Anyway, it's a US government funded mission isn't it? Would they name a mission after a foreign leader??  I don't know

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #241 on: 11/13/2017 10:25 pm »
Northrop Grumman on #SpaceX Zuma launch: "This represents a cost effective approach to space access for government missions. Northrop realizes that this is monumental responsibility and has taken great care to ensure the most affordable and lowest risk scenario for Zuma."

https://twitter.com/nova_road/status/930211593014652934

Is that, we will scratch SpaceX back, if they scratch ours?

Offline shooter6947

• Idaho
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #242 on: 11/13/2017 10:54 pm »
Looks really close to 51.6 degrees. Is this going to have any close approaches to the ISS? It's odd that SpaceX has launched two USG classified birds to this inclination this year.
Also, the end of the launch window (which they could definitely be aiming, to keep the orbit somewhat unknown before launch) *almost* (Off by 15-20 minutes) lines up to launching into the plane of the ISS. So it's close. Almost exactly the same as NROL-76. And yes there will most lightly be close passes to station.

Okay, so what advantage could there be for a ~53 degree orbit, from a Milspace perspective?  It's the lowest inclination that the Russians can reach from Baikonur, roughly.  Do the Russians have a lot of military sats in this inclination?  Or the Chinese?  I mean, it's not a horrible inclination for surface imaging in visible, infrared, or RADAR:  the vast majority of the human population is within +/-50 degrees latitude.  If you wanted to get both coverage of China and significant repeat coverage for China this might be a good target inclination. 

Offline schaban

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #243 on: 11/14/2017 01:56 am »
Okay, so what advantage could there be for a ~53 degree orbit, from a Milspace perspective?
caliphate?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #244 on: 11/14/2017 03:43 am »

If I remember correctly, the name “Zuma” is of South African heritage, which is why Elon Musk named the payload “Zuma”.

No. Zuma is the codename used by the government (unclear which agency) and the contractor (Northrop Grumman). Nothing to do with Elon Musk and SpaceX.

Also Zuma Engineering & Research, which I believe is in LA. Their senior PM  worked for Northrop Grumman

http://www.zumaengineering.com/aboutus/frederickmitchell.html
« Last Edit: 11/14/2017 03:53 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1312
« Reply #245 on: 11/14/2017 03:52 am »

Also Zuma Engineering & Research, which I believe is in LA. IIRC one of their principles worked for Northrop Grumman a while back.

Lots of possibilities.  There's also: https://www.z-uma.com/  (see also: https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-zuma%E2%80%8B-ziska-bb288617/)
« Last Edit: 11/14/2017 03:53 am by dnavas »

Offline vaporcobra

PLS. NO MORE NAME SPECULATION :'(

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #247 on: 11/14/2017 03:55 am »
Enough with the random guessing again.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #248 on: 11/15/2017 03:32 pm »
Just saw the new SpaceX photo of Falcon 9 and Zuma. It's up on the Update Thread.

Looks really blank with barely any fairing art.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2017 03:32 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #249 on: 11/15/2017 04:08 pm »
Just saw the new SpaceX photo of Falcon 9 and Zuma. It's up on the Update Thread.

Not even any NRO type abstract art?

Offline vaporcobra

Nope, just a very minimal "Northrop Grumman" in tiny letters.

Offline whitelancer64

It only has the NG logo on it.

*edit* image source:

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/930833296308674565
« Last Edit: 11/15/2017 04:34 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline 76794p

• Austin
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #252 on: 11/15/2017 06:55 pm »
Rumors are circulating that the launch will not be livestreamed according to this article. https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/879593/spacex-launch-date-time-when-is-falcon-9-zuma-payload-space-nasa-elon-musk 

The source is dubious at best.

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #253 on: 11/15/2017 07:04 pm »
Rumors are circulating that the launch will not be livestreamed according to this article. https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/879593/spacex-launch-date-time-when-is-falcon-9-zuma-payload-space-nasa-elon-musk 

Considering that they also think that FH will fly in late November, I wouldn't take this article too seriously - most likely they won't stream flight of 2nd stage (just like with NROL-76) and author of this article mistaken that for not streaming launch at all.

Offline hopalong

• Milton Keynes
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #254 on: 11/15/2017 07:09 pm »

Considering that they also think that FH will fly in late November, I wouldn't take this article too seriously - most likely they won't stream flight of 2nd stage (just like with NROL-76) and author of this article mistaken that for not streaming launch at all.

The Express has gone downhill over the last 20 years or so. I don’t bother with it.  :)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #255 on: 11/15/2017 07:12 pm »

The Express has gone downhill over the last 20 years or so. I don’t bother with it.  :)

This is not true.  The webcast will generally follow NRO and Air Force classified guidelines... with normal coverage through stage sep and then sole focus on the Booster's RTLS landing at LZ-1 with blackout rules on the second stage.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #256 on: 11/15/2017 07:20 pm »

Perhaps the Code name was indeed selected with Musk's South African background in mind. These code names are not always randomly chosen. One of the 60ies secret SIGINT missions was named LONG JOHN after a very tall team member, who developed the payload and WILD BILL was also named after one of the team members. Perhaps we will know, when ZUMA gets declassified in 50 years.

The name would have be selected long before the launch vehicle
« Last Edit: 11/15/2017 07:22 pm by Jim »

Online drnscr

• Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #257 on: 11/15/2017 07:40 pm »
And, another error was the portion about the stage returning to OCISLY.  We know that’s incorrect.

Offline CorvusCorax

• Germany
  • Liked: 4010
  • Likes Given: 2738
« Reply #258 on: 11/15/2017 08:38 pm »
Question, is Zuma launch now simultaneous with Teslas big electric truck revelation?
Which one will Elon be at ? ;)

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 437
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #259 on: 11/15/2017 08:47 pm »
Zuma could be some form of Space Tracking and Surveillance System (SBIRS Low) which demo satellites where built by Northrop Grumman. With what has been happening in North Korea they may of been asked to take some out of storage and launch them, if they had spares.

The tests that they have done before was during the 2009-2011 when they launched 2 on a Delta 2. They used them to detect and track launches of missiles, aircraft and other satellites. They could be used to help provide better targeting information for the Aegis and THAAD system for a quicker intercept of missiles launched from North Korea.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography