Author Topic: Additional countdown hold for Shuttle Discovery  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 1178
  • Likes Given: 76
RE: Additional countdown hold for Shuttle Discovery
« Reply #1 on: 06/14/2006 03:34 am »
I remember a while back when some family came to visit and wanted to go bird-watching taking them out around the cape and in one spot met a guard who offered to shoot some down for us!

Offline Chris Bergin

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: 06/15/2006 09:48 pm »
Very good :)

Offline James Lowe1

• New York City
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 06/15/2006 11:51 pm »
If only those conversations were real ;)

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: 06/16/2006 03:59 am »
Like a lot of my cartoons- it's a part of a series... stay tuned for Monday's strip.

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #6 on: 06/16/2006 11:09 am »
I like this one, where they've got a Day Count for no foam shedding.

http://www.klydemorris.com/strips.cfm?strip_ID=1548

Offline GLS

• Liked: 0
Re: Additional countdown hold for Shuttle Discovery
« Reply #7 on: 06/16/2006 11:28 am »
Wouldn't it be easier to have astronauts gun down the birds while they're waiting to get in the vehicle???? Have them go to the top of the FSS, give them a riffle and bye bye birds!
GLS is go for main engine start!

Offline Sergi Manstov

• NSF Russian Editor
« Reply #8 on: 06/16/2006 01:24 pm »
Love the ant!

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 06/16/2006 01:52 pm »
SimonShuttle - 16/6/2006  3:56 AM

I like this one, where they've got a Day Count for no foam shedding.

http://www.klydemorris.com/strips.cfm?strip_ID=1548

Yeah, me too.  I know it's all in good fun and exagerrated, but seriously speaking... "contracting the Russians at $43million per head" is an "embarrassment"?  I think it is.  

First of all does NASA really pay 43mil per astro head on the Soyuz?  If so, they are a bunch of suckers/are stupid.  Couldn't booking through Space Adventures at $20mil save some of my taxed money?  Secondly, why is contracting the Russians an embarassment?  They have what NASA (apparently) needs and can't provide on its own, so there.  Thirdly, the ISS is a lost porkbarrel cause, and contracting anyone to fly to it could be considered an embarassment.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
« Reply #10 on: 06/16/2006 02:22 pm »
And... just for the record, I have nothing against the Russians when I do my cartoons. Actually, I know a few who were there during the Soviet days and they are pretty cool folks with a terrific sense of humor. In fact they have a better sense of humor than NASA management gives them credit for. A while back one of my cartoons about the ISS was going to be e-mailed up to the station by a reader of mine in flight control, but at the last second it was blocked by a NASA manager who thought the Russian member of the crew would be "offended" by my use of the term "Rooski."

http://www.klydemorris.com/nasa26.cfm

I showed it to Russian friend of mine and he laughed his butt off. He thought the cartoon was funny, but he thought the fact that NASA management would believe that Russians are that thin skinned was even more funny.

NASA management... screwin' stuff up since John Glenn's reentry and still goin' strong.

Offline Sergi Manstov

• NSF Russian Editor
« Reply #11 on: 06/16/2006 02:23 pm »
Wow, I find them funny! We have humor here! :)

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 06/16/2006 02:36 pm »
zerm - 16/6/2006  7:09 AM
... "Rooski."

As a patron of your cartoons, I think there are a few sides to this.  From my experience it's as offensive as the "C----" to a Chinese (also a translation from the Chinese for, well, "the Chinese"), or a "Negro"/"----" ("Black" in Spanish) to an African.  It's NOT offensive to the indigenous speaker, but I believe the meaning put into it on the American soil and in the common American speak is *meant* to be offensive at its core.  Anyway, I personally, avoid it.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
« Reply #13 on: 06/16/2006 03:40 pm »
"Tense situations... a regular person spends his life avoiding tense situations. A repoman spends his time getting INTO tense situations." - RepoMan, the movie.

As an editorial cartoonist- I don't spend my time avoiding words that, when micro-managed to their core could, by someone, someday, in some cases, if read a cretain way, perhaps be considered offensive. If I did I'd be writing "Nancy and Sluggo" and I'd have several million fewer readers. Micro managing anything in an attempt to screen out all of the risk all of the time (as many in NASA have tried to do with the STS with things such as the birdstrike hold) leads to nothing but more micromanagement- which I, of course, will lampoon. The fact is, there are a lot of people out there who are waiting- spring loaded to see any word, hear any joke that will allow them to morph into the offended creature with a keyboard. My job... is to offend them so that everyone else can laugh.  I personally try and avoid at all costs ethnic slurs- of course it's a thin line that we all walk. Being of, what some would consider Polish bloodline, I find that no one avoids telling me any Polock joke they can muster up. I often act real offended and tell them I prefer to be addressed by my politically correct title... "Polock-American." Of course I've always been a smart a$$. In 1986 I was introduced to a Japanese girl at a college party as Wes the guy who draws Klyde Morris. In the introduction our host had said she was Japanese. I shook her hand and said "So... yer' Japanese?" She smiled and said "Yes." I acted angrey and shouted "Well I'm still a little pi$$ed off about the ARIZONA!!" Results: She and I have been very happily married for 18 years. Everyone... including NASA needs to keep their sense of humor.

Besides... how could I EVER resist something like a "Birdstrike Hold" it's such an easy target (just wait untill I start micromanaging it).

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 06/16/2006 03:57 pm »
Right on.  Don't for a second think that I "lambast" you for anything you may have said or printed.  I just expressed my personal experiences and "feelings".  I just think that if we may say "rooskies or brits, or germs did this or that"  we may as well say "------ did some or other".  And it'd still be funny.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
« Reply #15 on: 06/16/2006 04:42 pm »
Naaaaa... my angry persons tend to froth at the mouth and hiss a lot (I've had them coming at me since 1978)... you weren't frothing nearly enough.

Actually, many of my most dedicated readers are in the space field or are close followers of what takes place in spaceflight. Many of them are hooked on "The Program" cartoon.

Keep in mind, however, that I did get fired from one publication because someone these did not like the word "dominatrix." Of course NASA can't fire me for using the word Birdstrike... because I don't work for NASA...ha!... got 'em on that one.

Of course the best thing they could do about birdstrikes is exactly what everyone else in aviation does about it... nothing. Instead they're spending time and money removing food sources and writing new procedures to get rid of birds who pobably won't be there anyway. Yes sir... gotta micromanage that risk down.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #16 on: 06/16/2006 04:49 pm »
Had to take out the N word out of this thread, but I'm not a fan of politically correctness. So fill your boots ;)

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 06/16/2006 04:53 pm »
zerm - 16/6/2006  9:29 AM

Naaaaa... my angry persons tend to froth at the mouth and hiss a lot (I've had them coming at me since 1978)... you weren't frothing nearly enough.

Actually, many of my most dedicated readers are in the space field or are close followers of what takes place in spaceflight. Many of them are hooked on "The Program" cartoon.

Keep in mind, however, that I did get fired from one publication because someone these did not like the word "dominatrix." Of course NASA can't fire me for using the word Birdstrike... because I don't work for NASA...ha!... got 'em on that one.

Of course the best thing they could do about birdstrikes is exactly what everyone else in aviation does about it... nothing. Instead they're spending time and money removing food sources and writing new procedures to get rid of birds who pobably won't be there anyway. Yes sir... gotta micromanage that risk down.

Great.  I was just talking about the "integrity"  Whatever that means.  If one can say "rooski" referring to a specific nationality of a person, meaning of course a good old English term "Russian" (why not just use that), one can say "n----" referring to ...  I see no difference.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #18 on: 06/16/2006 05:03 pm »
Rooski to me is like calling an American a Yank....or an American calling me a Limey....not intended to be offensive.

Calling a French person a Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey, would be offensive ;)

However, the N word is racist.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 06/16/2006 05:04 pm »
lmike - 16/6/2006  9:40 AM

zerm - 16/6/2006  9:29 AM

Great.  I was just talking about the "integrity"  Whatever that means.  If one can say "r----" referring to a specific nationality of a person, meaning of course a good old English term "Russian" (why not just use that), one can say "n----" referring to ...  I see no difference.

LOL!  Ok.  I get it.  Why is the "r---" not whited out, then?  As an American, I can tell you it's *meant* to be an offensive term :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography