Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201798 times)

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1660 on: 06/18/2014 11:32 pm »
@SwissCheese:

I've finished doing corrections on part 4, I did make two small alignment changes, could you double check them? 
frame 71 -- 24:7:25925 (and 37:10:36157 to keep the same alignment between the two pieces)
frame 72 -- 23:18:35367

Is there an easy way to figure out what bits a DC correction changes?

Example, i frame 4, these are effectively 3 single bitflips that fix the luma down in the clock region.  The clock itself is still damaged, which might be fixable if these flips aren't single flips, but triple flips that just happen to have one part in a luma sub block...

6:29:86644:64:0:0:0:0:0, 7:29:87881:0:-32:0:-64:0:0

If dcs are off by that much (32 and 64) there are probably errors in dc size vlc codes, but I fear there is no easy way to figure out anything about that ;) Is it a flip in dc size vlc or there's a flip before, which causes it to be read wrong? Go figure.

edit: But if the clock itself is wrong the errors are obviously aready in the luma blocks so no wonder chromas are broken too. Sorry, you were already talking about luma. Still the error could be in the previous block, but dc_size luminance would be my best guess. I would just xor through the whole block if it hasn't been done already.

All the mb's are 1000+ bits, not my favorite kind to do exhaustive searches through.  ;)  Silly massive clock. 

I continued to mess with it, and actually got the numbers to show up quite nicely using some direction adjustment.  I really wish the direction field was displayed in binary rather than decimal, it would make it so much easier to tweak.  Not quite sure why it's screwed up considering direction's calculated on the fly, but it does work... I think there are a few more digits in the i frames I can recover this way. 

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #1661 on: 06/18/2014 11:39 pm »
All the mb's are 1000+ bits, not my favorite kind to do exhaustive searches through.  ;)  Silly massive clock. 

I continued to mess with it, and actually got the numbers to show up quite nicely using some direction adjustment.  I really wish the direction field was displayed in binary rather than decimal, it would make it so much easier to tweak.  Not quite sure why it's screwed up considering direction's calculated on the fly, but it does work... I think there are a few more digits in the i frames I can recover this way.

Wow, birilliant. I just made an edit to my previous post to admit my utter failiure. Looks like the root cause of the issue lies in fact in MB 5:28.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #1662 on: 06/18/2014 11:55 pm »
Ours is better.  8)

Onboard hi-def camera of F9R test at McGregor yesterday (17-Jun). Now with steerable fins.

There is only one first soft landing -- and that is yours!
(And SpaceX's)

You all are doing an incredible job!!!
(And so is SpaceX)
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1663 on: 06/19/2014 12:23 am »

Wow, brilliant. I just made an edit to my previous post to admit my utter failure. Looks like the root cause of the issue lies in fact in MB 5:28.

Upon a bit more investigation, if you take any i frame and -1 out the top of the clock and leave the bottom, the bottom becomes garbled, even though all the mb positions are correct.  The clock mbs are MUCH pickier about their inheritance than any other block.  Changing the direction is just mimicking the data it should be getting from the blocks above it.   

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1664 on: 06/19/2014 07:04 am »
Made a new version of the additional frames. Feel free to comment, modify or simply make another, nicer version ;) all the source data are in additional_frames.zip

@ Wronkiew: I copy 40 times each frame for the video, if you want to add them to the online video.

Looks great! I'll put those into the generated videos. Probably tomorrow.

How do folks feel about putting real names into the credits list? I wouldn't want to do it unless we had significant buy-in from the contributors.

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #1665 on: 06/19/2014 09:49 am »
@SwissCheese:

I've finished doing corrections on part 4, I did make two small alignment changes, could you double check them? 
frame 71 -- 24:7:25925 (and 37:10:36157 to keep the same alignment between the two pieces)
frame 72 -- 23:18:35367

Had another look at them, shifted your correction by one to the left for frame 71, water surf on the right seem to align better with following frame. Frame 72 looks better, just removed the errors at the end of the sequence. Also not very happy with water on frame 70, but it's very difficult to align... Anyway there are still probably tens of errors in the video, don't want to recheck everything though ;)
« Last Edit: 06/19/2014 10:08 am by SwissCheese »

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #1666 on: 06/19/2014 10:29 am »
Ours is better.  8)

Onboard hi-def camera of F9R test at McGregor yesterday (17-Jun). Now with steerable fins.

Ha ha, famous rocket cows of McGregor seem to adapt quite quickly :D

Offline CuddlyRocket

Ha ha, famous rocket cows of McGregor seem to adapt quite quickly :D
There's a (probably Disney) film in there somewhere - The Rocket Cows of McGregor! :)

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1668 on: 06/19/2014 01:41 pm »
Quick poll -

How many hours have you put into this since it began almost twelve weeks ago?

To avoid clutter, PM me.  I will post anonymous stats (hi, low, avg, total)

(My guess is the core team effort is around 12,000-14,000 person-hours.)
« Last Edit: 06/19/2014 01:42 pm by mhenderson »

Offline SwissCheese

« Reply #1669 on: 06/19/2014 01:52 pm »
I attach a zip conatining folders each containing 40 mpg4-img files. They start with iframe and are followed by the 19 pframes of the section followed by P frame converted iframe of the next section and its subsequent p frames. Each folder also contains a txt file with the mmb for the converted frame (frame_21.mpg4-img in the folders). There is an issue with conversion for iframe 121 (in part5_6) I still have to investigate, might be bad vop_quant.

I have modified some mmbs already with -3 commands for the blank regions (part3_4, part12_13 and part14_15). Others remain to be done, but probably require more dc tweaking.

Really nice! Many i frames could be vastly improved by this.

I tried a bit for i frame 221, but we really need the data in the online editor to tune the dc values I think, it takes too much time without it.

Also made a video (spacex_landing_i2p.mp4) with your conversions (part3_4, part12_13 and part14_15).
« Last Edit: 06/19/2014 01:52 pm by SwissCheese »

Offline saliva_sweet

« Reply #1670 on: 06/19/2014 02:40 pm »

I tried a bit for i frame 221, but we really need the data in the online editor to tune the dc values I think, it takes too much time without it.

Also made a video (spacex_landing_i2p.mp4) with your conversions (part3_4, part12_13 and part14_15).

Online editor would be indeed be really helpful. I hope IainCole gets a chance to do it. I'm also contemplating trying to make an automatic dc fixing tool. I believe it should be possible because we already know the (more or less) correct dcs for all blocks, they can be extracted from the fixed iframe ffmpeg logs.

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 993
« Reply #1671 on: 06/19/2014 05:35 pm »
Quick poll -

How many hours have you put into this since it began almost twelve weeks ago?

To avoid clutter, PM me.  I will post anonymous stats (hi, low, avg, total)

(My guess is the core team effort is around 12,000-14,000 person-hours.)

My guess is about 6000-7000 person-hours. I'm also curious.
(Note: for the last couple of weeks there remain less people on board: the work became very difficult, only the "bests" could follow it. They made a huge work - RESPEKT for them!!! - but it added less for the total amount of person-hours than in may.)

My earlier guess see her (it was underestimated, now I would say 4000-5000 person-hours at this time):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1208031#msg1208031

Offline saliva_sweet

« Reply #1672 on: 06/19/2014 06:23 pm »
There is an issue with conversion for iframe 121 I still have to investigate, might be bad vop_quant.

The attached mpg4-img fixes the vop_quant in frame 121. This file replaces frames6_7/frame_21.mpg4-img in i2p.zip

Offline saliva_sweet

« Reply #1673 on: 06/19/2014 07:25 pm »
There is a way to use the current online editor to fix dcs in converted frames. -3 mbs appear to have the same effect on dcs as -2 mbs. Open two online editors with the frame you want to fix. In one set the region you want to be -3 to -2. Select the blocks starting the dc issues and see what the dcs are, in the other tab see what they should be. Add/subtract the difference. dcs are now fixed, put them into the converted frame mmb.

edit: Use iframe only editor if you value you sanity.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2014 08:00 pm by saliva_sweet »

Offline Req

• Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 2580
« Reply #1674 on: 06/19/2014 08:06 pm »
Made a new version of the additional frames. Feel free to comment, modify or simply make another, nicer version ;) all the source data are in additional_frames.zip

@ Wronkiew: I copy 40 times each frame for the video, if you want to add them to the online video.

How do folks feel about putting real names into the credits list? I wouldn't want to do it unless we had significant buy-in from the contributors.

I'm on board with that.

Online editor would be indeed be really helpful. I hope IainCole gets a chance to do it. I'm also contemplating trying to make an automatic dc fixing tool. I believe it should be possible because we already know the (more or less) correct dcs for all blocks, they can be extracted from the fixed iframe ffmpeg logs.

Yeah it's going to require some major surgery so might take a while, I should have some time to tackle it on Saturday maybe.

Offline saliva_sweet

« Reply #1676 on: 06/19/2014 10:56 pm »
Yeah it's going to require some major surgery so might take a while, I should have some time to tackle it on Saturday maybe.

Cool. It's possible to work with the existing iframe only editor meanwhile. Quialiss, you too can help with this if you feel like it even though you weren't running a local ffmpeg (?). We can make mmbs in the iframe editor that have regions that could use data from the previous frame (and actually have something in the previous frame :)) set to -2 and then dcs fixed. Like the one for frame 81 I attach. This will accept data into the gray hole and everything will be peaches and cream.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2014 11:06 pm by saliva_sweet »

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1677 on: 06/20/2014 06:57 am »

Scratch that. I have been working on the i2p stuff instead. The generator can build frames3_4 now with the modified frame 21. When all the segments are building with i2p, I can switch the clockfix job over to using it instead.

My apologies to IainCole. This is going to be a pain in the online editor's neck.

Offline SwissCheese

« Reply #1678 on: 06/20/2014 08:16 am »
There is a way to use the current online editor to fix dcs in converted frames. -3 mbs appear to have the same effect on dcs as -2 mbs. Open two online editors with the frame you want to fix. In one set the region you want to be -3 to -2. Select the blocks starting the dc issues and see what the dcs are, in the other tab see what they should be. Add/subtract the difference. dcs are now fixed, put them into the converted frame mmb.

edit: Use iframe only editor if you value you sanity.

OK, I got it. I should be able to convert some of them.

We might need a new spreadsheet for the converted i frames!
« Last Edit: 06/20/2014 08:17 am by SwissCheese »

Offline SwissCheese

« Reply #1679 on: 06/20/2014 11:17 am »
So I just converted frame 221.

I did as Saliva_Sweet explained:
- open 2 tabs with iframe editor (spacex.slapbet.org)
- load the iframe you want to edit in each tab (copy the mmb from the spreadsheets)
- in one of the editors, replace the -1 by -2 where you want to replace the blank MB by MB from previous frame
- correct dc values so they are the same as in the "reference" frame (check the values in both frames and add the difference)
- save your solution in a text file

Now the bit positions must be adapted, since I don't have a formula to convert them from one type to the other I did it that way:
- since I had additionnal MB positions, I had to run first the whole sequence (before corrections) to get the bit positions (in the log file) of the converted i-frame

- open in a notepad the file "P21_mmb.txt" that Saliva_Sweet put in the folders (how did you generate these???)
- replace the "," by a return / line feed
- save and close
- do the same for the text file with your solution
- open both files in Excel, use ":" as delimiter -> you get each number in a separate cell
- align the MB positions of both text files in your Excel sheet (add / remove MB positions from "P21_mmb.txt")
- copy the new dc values to "P21_mmb.txt"
- save as a text file
- open the new text file and replace tabs by ":", return / line feed by ","
- save and that's it!

I hope it is understandable ;)

attached files:

frame_221_i_original.png "reference" i-frame 221
frame_221_i_minus_2.png i-frame 221 with -1 sequences replaced by -2, and corrected dc values
frame_221_i2p.png final result with i-frame converted to p-frame, -2 replaced by -3, and adapted bit positions
command_line_before.txt before changing the -1 to -3
command_line_before.txt after changing the -1 to -3

How do you find the result? Should we tune further the dc values so the transition is smoother? Is there a formula to convert the bit positions from i-frame to converted i-frame?

I hope some will be able to help, even if you only do the first part (from -1 to -2) and post your solution! (it is really not complicated at all, just takes some time)
« Last Edit: 06/20/2014 11:26 am by SwissCheese »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography