Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Maybe
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: 05/02/2020 10:35 pm

Author Topic: The Fully and Rapidly Reusable Launch Party Thread  (Read 484941 times)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Re: The Fully and Rapidly Reusable Launch Party Thread
« Reply #760 on: 06/17/2016 08:47 pm »
No, I'm pretty sure that the actual hardware behind him.  Although it might not be the real board room.
Either Jurvetson is a giant, or it's a photo.  It's way too small.
And the trimming is imprecise.  The lights from the hangar are visible but the carrying ring to the left is cropped.
It's a photo.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #761 on: 06/17/2016 08:57 pm »
No, I'm pretty sure that the actual hardware behind him.  Although it might not be the real board room.
Either Jurvetson is a giant, or it's a photo.  It's way too small.
And the trimming is imprecise.  The lights from the hangar are visible but the carrying ring to the left is cropped.
It's a photo.
not to belabor this, but it isn't a cropping issue, look at the top left of the picture and you see the ceiling is suspended below the lights in the room.  almost like a false ceiling.  so the wallpaper probably shows the whole ring, but because of that feature in the room you cannot see it from that angle.

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #762 on: 06/17/2016 10:58 pm »
BLIZZARD WARNING:
FROM THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER
THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING FROM 0313U ETERNAL CLOCK TO 1123U FOR ALL NINE CIRCLES ON THE INFERNAL PLANES. THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF DIS.
ALL THOSE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM SHOULD SEEK THE NEAREST SHELTER, SUCH AS THE NEAREST POOL OF LAVA OR VOLCANIC FISSURE. IF YOUR TORTURE FACILITIES ARE ON HIGHER GROUND, LEAVE THOSE LOCATIONS AND SEEK HOTTER SHELTER.
THIS HAS BEEN A LIVE BROADCAST FROM THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER

Watch the fourth flight of the same New Shepard hardware this Sunday. Liftoff is planned for approximately 10:15 am ET and the live webcast starts half an hour earlier at 9:45 am ET at www.blueorigin.com.

On this flight, we’ll intentionally fail one string of parachutes on the capsule. There are three strings of chutes and two of the three should still deploy nominally and, along with our retrothrust system, safely land the capsule. Works on paper, and this test is designed to validate that. We’ll also use this flight to continue pushing the envelope on the booster.

As always, this is a development test flight and anything can happen.

Watching a rocket launch (and rocket landing!) might add a little extra fun with the kids on Father’s Day -- enjoy.

Gradatim Ferociter!

Jeff Bezos

Errr.... Shouldn't that be the 'Infernal Weather Center'???  I mean Heaven isn't the one freezing over, after-all. ;)
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #763 on: 06/18/2016 02:10 am »
BLIZZARD WARNING:
FROM THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER
THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING FROM 0313U ETERNAL CLOCK TO 1123U FOR ALL NINE CIRCLES ON THE INFERNAL PLANES. THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF DIS.
ALL THOSE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM SHOULD SEEK THE NEAREST SHELTER, SUCH AS THE NEAREST POOL OF LAVA OR VOLCANIC FISSURE. IF YOUR TORTURE FACILITIES ARE ON HIGHER GROUND, LEAVE THOSE LOCATIONS AND SEEK HOTTER SHELTER.
THIS HAS BEEN A LIVE BROADCAST FROM THE CELESTIAL WEATHER CENTER

Watch the fourth flight of the same New Shepard hardware this Sunday. Liftoff is planned for approximately 10:15 am ET and the live webcast starts half an hour earlier at 9:45 am ET at www.blueorigin.com.

On this flight, we’ll intentionally fail one string of parachutes on the capsule. There are three strings of chutes and two of the three should still deploy nominally and, along with our retrothrust system, safely land the capsule. Works on paper, and this test is designed to validate that. We’ll also use this flight to continue pushing the envelope on the booster.

As always, this is a development test flight and anything can happen.

Watching a rocket launch (and rocket landing!) might add a little extra fun with the kids on Father’s Day -- enjoy.

Gradatim Ferociter!

Jeff Bezos

Errr.... Shouldn't that be the 'Infernal Weather Center'???  I mean Heaven isn't the one freezing over, after-all. ;)

The CWS is the biggest trolling center in heaven. They know the audience can't leave.  ::)
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #764 on: 06/19/2016 11:45 pm »
(Almost) Every SpaceX Landing Attempt, In Order - 28-mins
From the 1st Grasshopper hop Sep 21, 2012 to Falcon 9/CRS-8 Apr 8, 2016
« Last Edit: 06/19/2016 11:58 pm by Antilope7724 »

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #765 on: 06/20/2016 03:27 pm »
I wonder why they left out CRS-3.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #766 on: 06/20/2016 08:51 pm »
I didn't want to add noise to the original thread, but I wanted to declare this the "Best Car Analogy in a Rocket Discussion."  Ever.

There's always the hope that someone finds a way to improve the process without having to substantially change the hardware, but you are right.  And, in this case I would love to be wrong.  It would be so much better for all of us.

Again, it is not a hardware problem.  There is a way, just reduce the target orbit or payload mass.  It is real easy.  Spacex just pushed the envelope too far.

The spacecraft were placed in a super synchronous transfer orbit of 62,750km.  GSO is at 42,164 km.  So Spacex could come down a few hundred/thousand miles to provide more propellant margin in the first stage and the spacecraft would still be happy.  It would only reduce the spacecraft extended life by a few months

Since people are still not understanding this is a margin and not a lack of performance issue.  I have an analogy. 

A spacecraft is comparable to a new car and it weighs about 5500kg.  Lets call the car the 5.5.   
The F9 is comparable to a car carrier truck.
GSO is the car's final destination (home)
GTO is the car dealership location
Super-synchronous GTO is a location between the dealership and home
The car is to be delivered to the dealership with a full tank of gas, which allows it to get home and then have a enough for 10 years of operation. (just work with me on this, since GSO spacecraft don't get refueled)

So Carx has designed the F9 car carrier to deliver the 5.5 from the factory to the dealership with the car carrier having enough fuel to return back to the factory. 

The  F9 car carrier has just come out and it is going through its test phase.   It is doing some test runs and it is going to carry cars to make revenue.  It just so happens that there are no 5.5s that need to be delivered but there are some 4.1, 3.2, 4.7, etc available. Delivering these spacecraft to the dealership and returning the carrier to the factory will be no problem, just that there will be more than enough fuel left.   

Carx, being customer friendly, has offered to deliver these smaller cars to destinations in between home and the dealership.  This way the customer will able to save some fuel and add few more years to the car's life after it gets home.   Carx has done some analysis and has figured out the waypoints to deliver the cars to and allow for the F9 car carrier to return to the factory with just slightest amount of fuel left.  Carx figures that will maybe lose some car carriers during this test period due to working out the margins.  A few may come up short on fuel and not make it back to the factory.  Carx is ok with this since they can produce car carriers cheaper than other one way car carrier producers and they are leader in trying to make reusable car carriers. 

Carx could just deliver the cars just to the dealership and work on returning the car carriers  and figure out the margins but they rather work with their customers on where they want to be dropped off

Party On.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
« Reply #767 on: 06/20/2016 08:56 pm »
I didn't want to add noise to the original thread, but I wanted to declare this the "Best Car Analogy in a Rocket Discussion."  Ever.

There's always the hope that someone finds a way to improve the process without having to substantially change the hardware, but you are right.  And, in this case I would love to be wrong.  It would be so much better for all of us.

Again, it is not a hardware problem.  There is a way, just reduce the target orbit or payload mass.  It is real easy.  Spacex just pushed the envelope too far.

The spacecraft were placed in a super synchronous transfer orbit of 62,750km.  GSO is at 42,164 km.  So Spacex could come down a few hundred/thousand miles to provide more propellant margin in the first stage and the spacecraft would still be happy.  It would only reduce the spacecraft extended life by a few months

Since people are still not understanding this is a margin and not a lack of performance issue.  I have an analogy. 

A spacecraft is comparable to a new car and it weighs about 5500kg.  Lets call the car the 5.5.   
The F9 is comparable to a car carrier truck.
GSO is the car's final destination (home)
GTO is the car dealership location
Super-synchronous GTO is a location between the dealership and home
The car is to be delivered to the dealership with a full tank of gas, which allows it to get home and then have a enough for 10 years of operation. (just work with me on this, since GSO spacecraft don't get refueled)

So Carx has designed the F9 car carrier to deliver the 5.5 from the factory to the dealership with the car carrier having enough fuel to return back to the factory. 

The  F9 car carrier has just come out and it is going through its test phase.   It is doing some test runs and it is going to carry cars to make revenue.  It just so happens that there are no 5.5s that need to be delivered but there are some 4.1, 3.2, 4.7, etc available. Delivering these spacecraft to the dealership and returning the carrier to the factory will be no problem, just that there will be more than enough fuel left.   

Carx, being customer friendly, has offered to deliver these smaller cars to destinations in between home and the dealership.  This way the customer will able to save some fuel and add few more years to the car's life after it gets home.   Carx has done some analysis and has figured out the waypoints to deliver the cars to and allow for the F9 car carrier to return to the factory with just slightest amount of fuel left.  Carx figures that will maybe lose some car carriers during this test period due to working out the margins.  A few may come up short on fuel and not make it back to the factory.  Carx is ok with this since they can produce car carriers cheaper than other one way car carrier producers and they are leader in trying to make reusable car carriers. 

Carx could just deliver the cars just to the dealership and work on returning the car carriers  and figure out the margins but they rather work with their customers on where they want to be dropped off

Party On.

I thought so, too.

Jim has indirectly introduced a new SpaceX product:

SpaceX UberLyft!

We'll get you or your stuff (up to 55,000 lb) where you want in 10 orbits or less!

(And there's an app for that.)

All banking accounts accepted (except Nigeria)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #768 on: 06/20/2016 09:51 pm »
So that's the Tesla Model 3 delivery plan. Bad Jim for leaking it ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #769 on: 06/21/2016 12:31 am »
So with the F9, it's the same thing but without the car.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #770 on: 06/21/2016 02:37 am »
I think it's actually the Tesla Model M[ars] delivery plan. The delivery charge to Mars though will be slightly more than cost of the vehicle. Especially with the 100km battery trailer option...

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #771 on: 06/21/2016 08:04 am »
I think it's actually the Tesla Model M[ars] delivery plan. The delivery charge to Mars though will be slightly more than cost of the vehicle. Especially with the 100km battery trailer option...

AKA the Red Tesla.  8)

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #772 on: 06/21/2016 08:12 am »
I wonder why they left out CRS-3.

So they could add the "almost"?  ;)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #773 on: 06/21/2016 02:37 pm »

AKA the Red Tesla.  8)

Well, they could start replacing the barges with Tesla's...

It's your med's!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #774 on: 06/21/2016 04:40 pm »
Can we stay on thread please and kee the comic book speculation in appropriate threads. 
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #775 on: 06/21/2016 06:02 pm »
Can we stay on thread please and kee the comic book speculation in appropriate threads. 
Which is the Party Thread.
It's your med's!

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
« Reply #776 on: 06/21/2016 07:01 pm »

"Comic book speculation!?"  :o

I'll have you know that my ideas are certainly not remotely worthy for publishing in any medium.

Let us repeat:

The party zone is loading and unloading of humor only
There is no seriousness in the party zone

If we're on-topic for anything in this thread, we're actually off-topic.  ;D

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #777 on: 06/21/2016 07:23 pm »

My bad, I had two windows open and got my threads mixed up.

Carry On.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
« Reply #778 on: 06/21/2016 07:32 pm »

My bad, I had two windows open and got my threads mixed up.

Carry On.

No problem. My liquid alcohol fuel residue leaks on my internal guidance system all the time. Talk about getting your gimbals locked.

And if that vivid imagery doesn't rip us back into groans and yuks, nothing will.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #779 on: 06/22/2016 12:33 am »
That's why Apples work best. No Windows to confuse. Mmmm Honey Crisp, Zestar, Gravenstien, .... If SpaceX had a apple, would it be a Columnar? I can see the resemblance.
It's your med's!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography