Author Topic: SpaceX CASSIOPE Launch Viewing Thread  (Read 46985 times)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
Re: SpaceX CASSIOPE Launch Viewing Thread
« Reply #20 on: 09/16/2013 12:53 am »
I read in a USA Today article that this launch will not be televised or streamed online in any fashion. Will we really have to wait however many days for SpaceX to release a video to Youtube?

They didn't include the phrase "by NASA" in there, did they?  My understanding is that SpaceX will be streaming the launch; but I wouldn't expect NASA to televise of stream it themselves...

"Even more than the new rocket, the mission, which will not be televised or webcast, may be most eagerly watched for its experiment with technology that SpaceX and supporters believe will revolutionize the industry."

USA TODAY

I would guess they misconstrued something. There are other inaccuracies in the post that show they don't have current information. Like "Targeting a liftoff this week from a refurbished pad at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California,"
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #21 on: 09/17/2013 04:28 pm »

If the launch is on or after the 30th, that is reportedly the date that Surf Beach should reopen.

http://www.ksby.com/news/surf-beach-closes-for-rest-of-summer-to-protect-snowy-plovers/

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: 09/26/2013 10:54 pm »
I need to modify what I previously posted here.  The south gate is still a viable option, but I would recommend heading as far west on Ocean Avenue as you possibly can.  I don't know where they will block off access to the public, but there is a fair chance that Surf Beach will be open for launch viewing as was the case for the Delta IV launches.  Even if the beach is closed *for recreational activities*, but should still be available for launch viewing.

The only snag is that F9's pad is closer than the Delta IV pad, only 3.5 miles from Surf Beach.  So I don't know for certain whether they will allow spectators at Surf Beach given the closer proximity.  That pad hasn't been used since the Titan days, so we will have to find out for sure on Sunday morning.

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #23 on: 09/27/2013 01:10 am »
Hi, I live north of VAFB in the San Francisco area. Any chance I might be able to see at least a contrail way off in the distance? If so, what will be Falcon 9's flight path?

Thanks,
Walter

It will be going south

Will the trajectory will be visible from the LA area?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: 09/27/2013 06:07 am »
I read in a USA Today article that this launch will not be televised or streamed online in any fashion. Will we really have to wait however many days for SpaceX to release a video to Youtube?

The launch WILL be webcast on Livestream.

http://new.livestream.com/spacex/F9-6
« Last Edit: 09/27/2013 06:08 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline blazotron

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #25 on: 09/27/2013 01:18 pm »
Hi, I live north of VAFB in the San Francisco area. Any chance I might be able to see at least a contrail way off in the distance? If so, what will be Falcon 9's flight path?

Thanks,
Walter

It will be going south

The trajectory will be in your field of view if you have unobstructed view, but in daylight without solids it may be difficult to see.
« Last Edit: 09/27/2013 01:18 pm by blazotron »

Offline blazotron

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #26 on: 09/27/2013 01:19 pm »
Anyone planning to be in the Lompoc area and like to try to meet up before or after launch?

« Reply #27 on: 09/27/2013 05:01 pm »
Per a chat with a Vandenberg PAO, Surf Beach and Station will be closed for this launch.

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #28 on: 09/27/2013 06:30 pm »
Per a chat with a Vandenberg PAO, Surf Beach and Station will be closed for this launch.

Thanks for the info...   I had left a message but hadn't gotten a reply.
We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
« Reply #29 on: 09/27/2013 06:31 pm »

Thanks,
Walter

It will be going south

The trajectory will be in your field of view if you have unobstructed view, but in daylight without solids it may be difficult to see.

Thanks!

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #30 on: 09/27/2013 10:53 pm »
Judging by old new stories, it appears Surf Beach is typically closed for launch viewing for Atlas launches, so I'm not surprised that they will close it for Falcon 9.  It is anyone's guess where they will put up a roadblock, just head as far west as you can down Ocean Avenue.  But don't be disappointed if the South Gate is the best one can do, it is still awful close to the pad as the crow flies, although you won't be able to see the rocket until a few seconds after liftoff.

However, I'm not sure that there is such a thing as an unobstructed view of the rocket of the pad that is close to the pad, I'm not even sure Surf Beach is unobstructed.  One has to go far away, to the Corral Rd. viewing area (10.6 miles) or Harris Grade Rd if one insists on seeing the rocket on the pad.  Then you need a telephoto lens or binoculars, and even then it still might be significantly obstructed.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #31 on: 09/28/2013 03:37 am »
The 30th SW said Surf Beach was closed on their Facebook page around noon today.  No need for calls to PAO, just like them.

https://www.facebook.com/30thSpaceWing
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #32 on: 09/28/2013 10:47 pm »
Anyone planning to be in the Lompoc area and like to try to meet up before or after launch?

Viewing is forecast to be good (clear and transparent), so I'm planning on making the 200 mile drive there from the Bay Area. Beforehand, I will be scouting out West Ocean Avenue between 13th Street and Renwick Avenue. Perhaps a meet up afterwards?

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #33 on: 09/28/2013 11:27 pm »
I'm driving down too and I'm interested in meeting up.

Offline GraniteHound92

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #34 on: 09/29/2013 02:40 pm »
I found a pull off just north of the penitentiary.  It's a great view!

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #35 on: 09/29/2013 03:14 pm »
Weather is perfectly clear. Nice view from my spot 3 miles away.

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #36 on: 09/29/2013 03:20 pm »
my spot. west ocean and renwick.

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
« Reply #37 on: 09/29/2013 05:01 pm »
Here was the view of the launch from my balcony in South Pasadena (taken on my cell and zoomed in, so not highest quality). It was pretty cool watching the livestream on my TV and seeing it out my window at the same time. :)

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #38 on: 09/30/2013 10:50 pm »
Here are video stills of the launch from the public's perspective. Viewed from West Ocean Ave, two-thirds of the way from the VAFB Arguello Blvd/13th St entrance to Renwick Ave. About 4 miles from SLC-4E. Please enjoy!

Liftoff! Appearing into view from behind hills. Thrust flames first visible.

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #39 on: 09/30/2013 10:52 pm »
Liftoff! Entire rocket and thrust flame emerges into view.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography