Author Topic: Ideas for NASA "Behind the Scenes"?  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Frandolf

• Germany
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: Ideas for NASA "Behind the Scenes"?
« Reply #20 on: 02/21/2011 09:43 am »
How about some background on the work of the DAT team with these high-res movies of the start and of the rpm before docking following one of the upcoming shuttle launches? I think their work is a little under-represented so far.

Offline Tourmaline

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 02/22/2011 12:32 pm »
It would be interesting to see some of the non-mission-training work of the astronauts, eg astronauts who have moved on to other projects within NASA and are no longer available for spaceflight mission selection. 

Or, meeting the current astronaut candidates and looking at their training.  Given that they are a younger cohort who grew up with the Shuttle, and will be the first fully post-Shuttle NASA astronaut group. 

But top of my wishlist would be an interview with Shannon Lucid, given that she's the only astronaut from the first Shuttle-era group with unbroken service since initial training and is still actively involved with Shuttle missions. 

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #22 on: 02/22/2011 04:12 pm »
I've always wanted to see NASA's astronaut beach house.

Just imagine a large living room.  That is all that the upperfloor is.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #23 on: 03/16/2011 07:55 pm »
Also wanted to relay something here, too: Josh said these were cool suggestions.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #24 on: 03/16/2011 08:14 pm »
I'd like to see a tour of the crawler, preferably during an actual drive. A roll out drive would be ideal, but a return drive after delivering either Endeavour or Atlantis to the pad would be fine too.

How the folks drive it, how they train for it, how they handle the leveling as it goes up the ramp to the pad (that part has always amazed me), and how they line everything up correctly on the final approach to place the MLP precisely where it needs to be.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: 03/16/2011 08:15 pm »
I'd like to see a tour of the crawler, preferably during an actual drive. A roll out drive would be ideal, but a return drive after delivering either Endeavour or Atlantis to the pad would be fine too.

How the folks drive it, how they train for it, how they handle the leveling as it goes up the ramp to the pad (that part has always amazed me), and how they line everything up correctly on the final approach to place the MLP precisely where it needs to be.

There has already been a "Behind the Scenes" from the roll-out. Mike even got to drive the crawler.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22862.msg650154#msg650154
« Last Edit: 03/16/2011 08:16 pm by arkaska »

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #26 on: 03/16/2011 08:28 pm »

There has already been a "Behind the Scenes" from the roll-out. Mike even got to drive the crawler.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22862.msg650154#msg650154

Thanks arkaska, I didn't realize that. I read through the titles of Space Pete's list of "Behind the Scenes" videos before I posted my suggestion (to avoid duplication) but didn't see that one. I can't see the video or screen shots while at work, so I can only go by the written titles.

But thanks much for the tip, I'll look forward to watching that when I get home! :)
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #27 on: 04/01/2011 08:46 pm »
I've always wanted to see NASA's astronaut beach house. It's described in so many books, but it would be neat to get a look at it today.
Might be duplicating, but FYI NASA KSC produced something about this:

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 04/01/2011 10:08 pm »
Some runs with the fight loop turned on. 
Danny Deger

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography