Author Topic: Chandrayaan-2 Mission - Launch and Landing Coverage  (Read 581302 times)

Offline chota

• Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: GSLV-MkII, Chandrayaan-2, NET 2018-Q1
« Reply #60 on: 08/14/2013 01:50 pm »
Looks like the lander will now be Indian design

"..an integrated programmatic review on Chandrayaan-2 (chaired by Prof U R Rao) was carried out to critically assess our capability to design and deploy a landing craft in a short time frame. The integrated review of Chandrayaan-2, recommended that India could realize the Lander module in the next few years. Currently the spacecraft is being reconfigured for the proposed Indian Rover and Lander modules.."

http://netindian.in/news/2013/08/14/00025558/lunar-mission-chandrayaan-2-be-solo-indian-effort-govt

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #61 on: 08/14/2013 02:24 pm »
Chandraayan-2 is going to be a full indian built mission, source: http://netindian.in/news/2013/08/14/00025558/lunar-mission-chandrayaan-2-be-solo-indian-effort-govt

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #62 on: 08/14/2013 09:49 pm »
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/india-to-go-alone-with-chandrayaan-2/article5022717.ece

Personally, I feel that with the inevitable delays, it would be better for India to instead use GSLV-Mk3 for the next mission to the Moon. This will increase the payload envelope, and allow for a more substantive payload to be sent, with appropriately increased mission scope.

Let the Mars Orbiter Mission be the last PSLV to send a payload beyond Earth orbit for ISRO. All further missions beyond the Earth should at least use GSLV-Mk3, or whatever more powerful successors show up.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2013 03:46 am by sanman »

Offline K210

« Reply #63 on: 08/18/2013 06:46 am »
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/india-to-go-alone-with-chandrayaan-2/article5022717.ece

Personally, I feel that with the inevitable delays, it would be better for India to instead use GSLV-Mk3 for the next mission to the Moon. This will increase the payload envelope, and allow for a more substantive payload to be sent, with appropriately increased mission scope.

Let the Mars Orbiter Mission be the last PSLV to send a payload beyond Earth orbit for ISRO. All further missions beyond the Earth should at least use GSLV-Mk3, or whatever more powerful successors show up.

I dont think its a good idea to start using GSLV-3 for such ambitious missions right off the bat, the true nature of a rocket isn't revealed until it has had a couple of launches. The GSLV's first couple of launches were successful but after that it's performance went down the drain. If the test flight of GSLV-2 is successful on monday it would make it the ideal choice to ferry a follow on mars mission.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
DM

Offline sanman

« Reply #65 on: 08/18/2013 05:41 pm »

I dont think its a good idea to start using GSLV-3 for such ambitious missions right off the bat, the true nature of a rocket isn't revealed until it has had a couple of launches. The GSLV's first couple of launches were successful but after that it's performance went down the drain. If the test flight of GSLV-2 is successful on monday it would make it the ideal choice to ferry a follow on mars mission.

Well, my point is that by the time the rest of Chandrayaan-2 hardware is developed and ready, the GSLV-Mk3 would have already had adequate number of flights by then.

IMHO, the development of a lander will be no small trivial task, and that will delay a Chandrayaan-2 mission significantly, during which time GSLV-Mk3 would be proving itself on other flights.

Offline K210

« Reply #66 on: 08/19/2013 03:17 am »

Well, my point is that by the time the rest of Chandrayaan-2 hardware is developed and ready, the GSLV-Mk3 would have already had adequate number of flights by then.

IMHO, the development of a lander will be no small trivial task, and that will delay a Chandrayaan-2 mission significantly, during which time GSLV-Mk3 would be proving itself on other flights.

Yes but waiting for GSLV MK-3 would delay Chandraayan-2 to at least 2019-2020, if GSLV MK-2 is used the mission could be launched in 2016-2017.

Offline ss1_3

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #67 on: 10/30/2013 04:08 pm »
Looks like Chandrayaan-2 is falling short of funds:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/isro-awaiting-government-nod-for-more-funds-for-chandrayaan-2/articleshow/24946130.cms

Guess a lot will depend on how Mars mission fares in coming time.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #68 on: 10/30/2013 05:31 pm »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/isro-awaiting-government-nod-for-more-funds-for-chandrayaan-2/articleshow/24946130.cms

I thought maybe that the second ISRO Mars mission had taken precedence over this? 

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #69 on: 10/31/2013 03:36 am »

I thought maybe that the second ISRO Mars mission had taken precedence over this? 

This is the first I'm hearing of a second ISRO Mars mission. It's not there on the Indian launch schedule sticky thread - which goes so far as to manifest a manned spaceflight for sometime after 2020 - so I don't think ISRO's ever mentioned it. Secondly, the linked article offers more probable proximate causes for the fence straddling, regarding the budget - viz. the change of mission architecture, due to problems with the Russian lander, with ISRO now deciding to develop their own; and the need for a functioning GSLV - whose development has been pushed back by its own problems.

So, I wouldn't say this request is going anywhere for some time. I have to make a hand-waving prognostication, I'm going with status quo ante petitio, for close to another year from now....

Given that we're going to have parliamentary elections - latest by (almost certainly NET) mid-2014 (the expiry of the nominal term of five years for the current government), and that Chandrayaan-2 will probably happen during the tenure of the next government (anti-incumbency being the current national pastime), you can probably also make the cynics' argument that no major funding decisions will be taken until next year: a successful mission will be claimed by the government of the time, but a failure will be attributed to hasty decisions of the previous government as ill prioritised spending.

Offline ss1_3

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #70 on: 10/31/2013 03:23 pm »
This is the first I'm hearing of a second ISRO Mars mission. It's not there on the Indian launch schedule sticky thread - which goes so far as to manifest a manned spaceflight for sometime after 2020 - so I don't think ISRO's ever mentioned it.
There seems to be a followup mission on the cards (2018!!). Here (towards the end):

Offline akula2

• USA, Germany and India
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #71 on: 11/07/2013 09:58 am »
The Chandrayaan-2 mission seems to be languishing due to the non-availability of the Russian lander:

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1868557/report-india-s-second-moon-mission-chandrayaan-2-stuck-in-limbo
Non-availability? I really doubt that. I suspect it got more to do with:

a) Design clash
b) Cost-sharing %
c) Too many changes to the initially agreed Lander design?

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #72 on: 11/07/2013 01:29 pm »

This is the first I'm hearing of a second ISRO Mars mission. It's not there on the Indian launch schedule sticky thread - which goes so far as to manifest a manned spaceflight for sometime after 2020 - so I don't think ISRO's ever mentioned it.
There seems to be a followup mission on the cards (2018!!). Here (towards the end):

Thanks for that glad I didn't imagine hearing about that.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #73 on: 11/22/2013 02:16 pm »
An update about Chandrayaan-2:
"In the meanwhile, we found that it was feasible to develop a lander indigenously too, within three years, so Chandrayaan-2 is possible by 2016. The rover is already developed, the lander can be readied in time. All we need is the green signal from the government and at least two successful GSLV flights,'' the chairman said. “It was not planned as a completely indigenous mission, but it may turn out that way. Chandrayaan-2 will therefore be much more ambitious than its original aim.''

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?programId=1073754900&contentId=15507698

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #74 on: 11/22/2013 06:55 pm »

"In the meanwhile, we found that it was feasible to develop a lander indigenously too, within three years, so Chandrayaan-2 is possible by 2016. The rover is already developed, the lander can be readied in time. All we need is the green signal from the government and at least two successful GSLV flights,'' the chairman said. “It was not planned as a completely indigenous mission, but it may turn out that way. Chandrayaan-2 will therefore be much more ambitious than its original aim.''

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?programId=1073754900&contentId=15507698

Hope they do get the green light on this on the timescale their hoping for.

Offline johnxx9

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #75 on: 12/01/2013 07:04 am »

I'm pretty certain the required funds would be provided in the next years budget.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #76 on: 12/01/2013 09:01 am »

I'm pretty certain the required funds would be provided in the next years budget.

If that's the case they should then be able to hit the 2016 target, providing the GSLV is proven by then?

Offline johnxx9

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #77 on: 12/01/2013 02:53 pm »

If that's the case they should then be able to hit the 2016 target, providing the GSLV is proven by then?

The 3 year timeline was also in part to ensure that GSLV has a had a couple of successful launches behind it before it launches something this valuable. Again, it depends..ISRO needs to really deliver wrt the GSLV program. And also the lander design fabrication testing going well. The 2016 target indicates the shortest possible time for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 if everything goes as planned.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #78 on: 01/10/2014 08:15 am »
Chandrayaan-2 with orbiter, lander and rover by 2016:
The Indian Space Research Organization (Isro) is planning to launch India’s mission to the moon, Chandrayaan-2, by 2016, which would include an orbiter, lander and rover, an Isro spokesperson said on Friday.

“Chandrayaan-2 would be launched by a Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) powered by an indigenously developed cryogenic engine,” said the Isro spokesperson.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/H4xVWokiuokVqSQ4GUTzUN/Isro-to-send-orbiter-lander-and-rover-to-Moon-by-2016.html

Another article about the same press conference:
http://post.jagran.com/india-to-launch-chandrayaanii-by-2017-isro-1389340915
« Last Edit: 01/10/2014 12:06 pm by vyoma »

Offline sanman

« Reply #79 on: 01/10/2014 04:06 pm »
The 3 year timeline was also in part to ensure that GSLV has a had a couple of successful launches behind it before it launches something this valuable. Again, it depends..ISRO needs to really deliver wrt the GSLV program. And also the lander design fabrication testing going well. The 2016 target indicates the shortest possible time for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 if everything goes as planned.

From the latest pronouncements by ISRO, it seems more like the development of the lander is what's the main hurdle, rather than waiting for GSLV to be qualified.

Does anybody have any idea of what the Indian lander will be based on? Will it borrow from the Russian lander design, or will it be an all-original independent design? I'm assuming the former, since it's best to go with what works, but it's not clear how much Russian technology ISRO can get for this, or whether it's even seen as reliable following the Phobos-Grunt malfunction. What have the Chinese used?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography