Author Topic: New Glenn: Blue Origin Announcement of Orbital Rocket Plan  (Read 942562 times)

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: New Glenn: Blue Origin Announcement of Orbital Rocket Plan
« Reply #2740 on: 06/02/2023 02:06 pm »
There's no such thing as a free dinner, Phil!

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2533
  • Likes Given: 2775
« Reply #2741 on: 06/02/2023 02:11 pm »
What is the biggest holdup to the first New Glenn launch?  Engines?  Landing pad?  Drone ship?  I've asked about BE-3U updates, but no answers on the BE-3 thread.  Just wondering. 

What is the biggest holdup to the first New Glenn launch?  Engines?  Landing pad?  Drone ship?  I've asked about BE-3U updates, but no answers on the BE-3 thread.  Just wondering.

Nothing is the holdup for New Glenn; BE-4s aren't ready, tanks aren't ready, much less stages, etc. Everything is the holdup. As for what is likely to take the longest? I don't think Blue tells us enough for us to even guess.
Wait, ∆V? This site will accept the ∆ symbol? How many times have I written out the word "delta" for no reason?

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1896
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #2743 on: 06/03/2023 01:08 am »

Bob Smith.

Offline Purona

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2744 on: 06/03/2023 12:51 pm »

Bob Smith.

Based on what?

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1896
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #2745 on: 06/03/2023 04:45 pm »

Bob Smith.

Based on what?

Based on my own assessment and observations of a company that shows many signs of being incredibly inefficient.

When the answer to "what is the holdup" is "basically everything" then it seems a lot more like a leadership problem than a specific technical issue.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2023 04:49 pm by GWH »

Offline whitelancer64

SpaceNews article:

https://spacenews.com/blue-origin-within-a-few-weeks-of-resuming-new-shepard-flights/

"Speaking at the Financial Times’ “Investing in Space” event June 6, Blue Origin Chief Executive Bob Smith said:

“If you want to know what the launch date is for New Glenn, I can give you one but it’s going to be wrong,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s going to arrive early or arrive late.”

He said the company has flight hardware for the vehicle coming together, as well as preparations of its launch pad at Cape Canaveral. The vehicle’s BE-4 engines are one of the larger “pacing items” for the launch, he noted."
« Last Edit: 06/06/2023 03:06 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline greybeardengineer

• Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #2747 on: 06/06/2023 10:58 pm »
He said the company has flight hardware for the vehicle coming together, as well as preparations of its launch pad at Cape Canaveral. The vehicle’s BE-4 engines are one of the larger “pacing items” for the launch, he noted."

What? Adding restart/airstart capability to a qualified engine is the pacing item? Really?

Pointing to BE-4 may be a case of publicly assigning schedule uncertainty blame to something that already is a black eye for the company; one that is practically an internet meme. Mentioning anything else basically increases and extends doubt into other areas of assumed competency.

Offline JayWee

• Liked: 933
  • Likes Given: 1657
« Reply #2748 on: 06/06/2023 11:47 pm »
Quote from: Bob Smith
“If you want to know what the launch date is for New Glenn, I can give you one but it’s going to be wrong,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s going to arrive early or arrive late.”
I find it a bit concerning that the CEO doesn't have any confidence when the project is to meet a milestone.

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #2749 on: 06/07/2023 12:26 am »

What? Adding restart/airstart capability to a qualified engine is the pacing item? Really?

Pointing to BE-4 may be a case of publicly assigning schedule uncertainty blame to something that already is a black eye for the company; one that is practically an internet meme. Mentioning anything else basically increases and extends doubt into other areas of assumed competency.

Interesting. Why do you think this the sole reason for BE-4 being a pacing item, if it is at all? There are other things, perhaps more important things that make it a large pacing item, such as integrating and testing a cluster of seven BE-4s on New Glenn might be the issue(s). And what are the other, perhaps larger pacing items Smith alludes to?

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

Interesting. Why do you think this the sole reason for BE-4 being a pacing item, if it is at all? There are other things, perhaps more important things that make it a large pacing item, such as integrating and testing a cluster of seven BE-4s on New Glenn might be the issue(s). And what are the other, perhaps larger pacing items Smith alludes to?

Maybe the pacing item there would be the former Apollo Test Stand, Test Stand 4670 at Hunstville, as that is the only test stand that could handle seven BE-4 engines running at the same time as it was sed for similar tests done with the Saturn Five.... what is the hold up with this test stand, as it should be operational by now? Does anyone have connections or insider knowledge as to what is happening?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 13278
  • Likes Given: 1377
« Reply #2751 on: 06/07/2023 12:31 pm »

Maybe he's talking production rates, not development.

They need 7 per flight, and maybe ULA has contractual priority.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #2752 on: 06/07/2023 02:10 pm »
I find it a bit concerning that the CEO doesn't have any confidence when the project is to meet a milestone.
I find it reassuring that a CEO understands that integration is very likely to find issues, and understands that timelines have to be fluid.

I'm concerned by CEOs that blurt out dates with little thought, and will launch an unfinished vehicle from an unfinished launch site, just to meet an arbitrary date.

Offline deadman1204

• USA
  • Liked: 1393
  • Likes Given: 2329
« Reply #2753 on: 06/07/2023 02:10 pm »
Would you rather he make up a bs date like certain other rocket CEOs do?

Its far enough in the future that the schedule is uncertain. This isn't odd. Set schedules for things in development are ALWAYS bs. Its an aspirational marketing timeline that usually ends up in a degraded crapped project pushed out the door to meet some arbitrary date.

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2432
  • Likes Given: 2087
« Reply #2754 on: 06/07/2023 02:27 pm »
Deadlines are important. A project without a deadline, will stretch on forever.

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #2755 on: 06/07/2023 03:15 pm »
Deadlines are important. A project without a deadline, will stretch on forever.
projects with deadlines can be killed prematurely.

Nobody is saying milestone target dates aren't important.

Offline JayWee

• Liked: 933
  • Likes Given: 1657
« Reply #2756 on: 06/07/2023 04:58 pm »
I find it reassuring that a CEO understands that integration is very likely to find issues, and understands that timelines have to be fluid.

I'm concerned by CEOs that blurt out dates with little thought, and will launch an unfinished vehicle from an unfinished launch site, just to meet an arbitrary date.

Many years away? Sure. But not when NG is contracted to launch a payload next(!) year. 

https://spacenews.com/escapade-confident-in-planned-2024-new-glenn-launch
Quote from: Jeff Foust
“It hasn’t launched yet and we are concerned about that,” [ESCAPADE PI] said during a presentation at an April 11 meeting of the Mars Exploration Program Analysis Group. “But, having seen the Blue Origin facility at Cape Canaveral, I was much less concerned after seeing all the work they’ve done. I’m confident they will likely be ready for the launch of ESCAPADE.”
« Last Edit: 06/07/2023 05:00 pm by JayWee »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 72899
  • Likes Given: 32744
« Reply #2757 on: 06/08/2023 11:33 am »
Eutelsat said in 2017 it was aiming fly on NG in 2020. I would expect Blue to have a better idea now about time to first launch. However, there is a clearly a long way still to go, so any forecast at this point is likely to be months (or more) off.

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #2758 on: 06/20/2023 06:33 pm »
Per a reddit post, more hardware testing at LC-36, possibly a launch mount ring to support the base of the rockets first stage as it is raised upright by the transporter erector. Compare to the "mini TE" previously seen for the second stage.

« Last Edit: 06/20/2023 06:34 pm by Robert_the_Doll »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 72899
  • Likes Given: 32744
« Reply #2759 on: 06/24/2023 02:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1672605549106438145

Meanwhile, at KSC. Blue Origin has a New Glenn fairing at the Turn Basin area.

nsf.live/spacecoast

Tags: Blue Origin 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography