Author Topic: When will SpaceX begin launchpad modifications for ITS?  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1017
When will SpaceX actually begin to build the infrastructure for ITS launches and what form will it take? Is it possible for them to continue to use 39(a) for F9 and FH and at the same time modify it to also accommodate ITS launches (and landings?).

Offline whitelancer64

I personally think that they will build a brand-new launch site for it. LC-39A would require a complete redesign and rebuild of the flame trench, launch tower, and much of the site's infrastructure - it's really not practical. If they did choose to go with LC-39A it would be out of commission for perhaps more than a year.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
Re: When will SpaceX begin launchpad modifications for ITS?
« Reply #2 on: 04/27/2017 09:15 pm »
I personally think that they will build a brand-new launch site for it. LC-39A would require a complete redesign and rebuild of the flame trench, launch tower, and much of the site's infrastructure - it's really not practical. If they did choose to go with LC-39A it would be out of commission for perhaps more than a year.

Yet Elon said ITS launches from 39A.
I'm skeptical too.
In fact if the real ITS built is approximately the size of the one revealed, I think they need their launch & land platform a couple miles offshore for noise & safety.  This of course makes rapid turn around much more difficult.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #3 on: 04/28/2017 04:04 am »
When will SpaceX actually begin to build the infrastructure for ITS launches and what form will it take? Is it possible for them to continue to use 39(a) for F9 and FH and at the same time modify it to also accommodate ITS launches (and landings?).

At least a decade

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #4 on: 04/28/2017 05:45 am »

At least a decade

Why so far into the future? If design converges within this year, a first test launch of the booster might be possible in 4 to 5 years. Launch pad preparations should start much earlier.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #5 on: 04/28/2017 05:58 am »
I still expect they build a new launchpad, but on LC-39A. That way they would be completely independent of launch operations except stopping work for a launch or static fire.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #6 on: 04/28/2017 12:20 pm »

Why so far into the future? If design converges within this year, a first test launch of the booster might be possible in 4 to 5 years. Launch pad preparations should start much earlier.

with what money?

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: 04/28/2017 12:51 pm »
"Why so far into the future? "

They won't want another Spaceport America.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #8 on: 04/28/2017 02:39 pm »
I still expect they build a new launchpad, but on LC-39A. That way they would be completely independent of launch operations except stopping work for a launch or static fire.

Where?

Even if they do, I'd entirely expect them to wait until Boca Chica is up and running. 40 has to be finished first, then 39a conversion to FH and crew, then Boca Chica, then ITS.

So we might see some pad work no earlier than 2019.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #9 on: 05/25/2017 07:06 am »
This discussion is nominally predicated on modifying LC-39a. Far left field answer is resurrection of the apollo era LC-39 third pad location concept (original LC-39a, as the LC-39a we know today was going to be 39c until 39a wasn't built, but many people call the third pad 39c so...).

But an environmental assessment for a completely new pad there today would make people's eyes bleed.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #10 on: 05/25/2017 08:49 am »
There are at least half a dozen unused old LCs in CCAFS. For example, LC14 is unused and it is right beside SpaceX Landing Complex 1. So is SLC1.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #11 on: 05/25/2017 12:05 pm »
There are at least half a dozen unused old LCs in CCAFS. For example, LC14 is unused and it is right beside SpaceX Landing Complex 1. So is SLC1.

So is 39B...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline ValmirGP

So is 39B...

Isn't 39B beeing refurbished for SLS already?

Offline jg

• Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: 05/25/2017 02:49 pm »

So is 39B...

Supposedly to a "clean pad" capable of being used by multiple launchers....  They are refurbishing the flame trench (which needs TLC given its age).

You'd still need methane (but Blue Origin would want that anyway).

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #14 on: 05/25/2017 02:49 pm »

So is 39B...

Sure... 39B is NASA's pad for SLS... for as long as that rocket exists... with plans to fly someday...

Two ways this can go down... at 39B
NASA and SpaceX agree to share 39B... and SpX mods or builds a platform for the pad and ITS
Mods pad to add LNG and their own other wiring and systems separate from NASA's stuff...
Takes over an unused bay in the assy building... Does it NASA's way...
OR...
SLS project dies under it's financial weight... And SpaceX signs a lease to take over 39B
They then do 39B like they did 39A... Just with a bigger set of GSE and buildings...

Just my opinion on question you posed...  ;)

On edit...
As I have opinioned elsewhere... I think SpaceX will build Texas as a dual use pad... F9/FH and early ITS type hardware...
Later... Once the clock runs a few years... the above comment will come into play at the cape... for ITS type stuff
39A building is too short on height (IMHO) to fit anything ITS in my opinion... looking at recent pics released.
39A will be Manned missions with F9/FH for as long as that system is flying... primary purpose...
40 will come back online as the Geo bird primary pad with single stick F9's...

In short... taking pads down for major mods will be avoided after this year...
Again... just my opinion...  ;)

Later edit...
Added SpaceX sourced pic that I believe indicates that 39A can't do ITS hardware... with it's current building.
It was sized for FH, nothing bigger in stage diameter... in my opinion
« Last Edit: 05/25/2017 03:38 pm by John Alan »

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #15 on: 05/25/2017 02:56 pm »
I think BO would pay a significant about to lease pad A. I doubt SpaceX would be allowed to lease both when there is another customer interested.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #16 on: 05/25/2017 04:23 pm »

Not available for an ITS sized vehicle.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography