Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion  (Read 204344 times)

Offline midnightrider3000

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion
« Reply #380 on: 12/22/2017 03:59 am »
Musk had to have handed over the roadster a little while back.  As has been pointed out, the batteries and their cooling system are not rated for vacuum, and would almost assuredly develop energetic leaks.  Possibly before you could attempt a TMI-type maneuver.

Likely true, but the whole "handing over the keys" thing just seems so surreal to me. Do you take it on grand tour before dropping it off? Just think how you act before trading in a car you really liked and had a lot of great memories. This time your going to have even more great memories but your not going to be able to physically touch it again.

Offline TYRTlive

• Toronto, ON
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #381 on: 12/22/2017 04:03 am »
I scaled down the Tesla image to see it inside the fairing:

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #382 on: 12/22/2017 04:07 am »
I'm not sure I buy that photo being real. That seems like an odd way to do it.

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #383 on: 12/22/2017 04:14 am »
I'm not sure I buy that photo being real. That seems like an odd way to do it.

It actually seems pretty logical. The custom adapter appears to support the car by its jack points. What better load bearing structures are there to attach to? Additionally, if the vehicle is to long to sit level in the payload envelope, then rotate the car until clearances are acceptable.

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 935
« Reply #384 on: 12/22/2017 04:58 am »
Unless you want the perfect angle for the camera inside the payload fairing.

Should look epic as the fairing falls away.

Online CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #385 on: 12/22/2017 05:51 am »

Still think they should be sending a Yellow School Bus...  :(

(but I'll submit that a Tesla Roadster would be far less of a challenge!)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #386 on: 12/22/2017 08:29 am »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline jpo234

« Reply #387 on: 12/22/2017 08:35 am »
So I'm curious how the Roadster got to the HIF.

Did Elon just drive it in and toss someone the Keys? "Here ya go?"

This is an original limited quantity Roadster. His baby. All the headaches and heartaches this thing caused while getting Tesla started. There is more of a connection to this car than any other car he's owned (i would think). It's not like dropping off your car for a trade in.  ::)

I know it must have seemed really funny talking about the idea of sending your car into space (or blowing it up :o), but when he handed over the key(s) I just can't help wondering if he thought "Shit, I might have taken this joke just a littttttttttle toooooo far, crap! can't back out now"
Tweet incoming ten years from now:
I'm missing that roadster. Will send a BFR chomper to get it back.

I will do it.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

« Reply #388 on: 12/22/2017 08:39 am »
There's... uhh.. something developing on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXMasterrace/comments/7ledab/this_ia_an_imge_ff_the_roadster_on_the_payload/
Are this Talulah Riley and Elon in the car?

Yes, photoshopped of course. I'm surprised the leak originated over there but considering what that subreddit is about, I guess I shouldn't be.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #389 on: 12/22/2017 11:11 am »

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceXMasterrace/comments/7ledab/this_ia_an_imge_ff_the_roadster_on_the_payload/

Yes, photoshopped of course. I'm surprised the leak originated over there but considering what that subreddit is about, I guess I shouldn't be.

I can almost guarantee this is not accurate.  One of the goals of the first flight will be to prove out it's lift capability.  There is no way just a roadster is event close.  Even if that pedestal is solid steel, I don't thick that would even be close.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline jpo234

« Reply #390 on: 12/22/2017 11:27 am »

I can almost guarantee this is not accurate.  One of the goals of the first flight will be to prove out it's lift capability.  There is no way just a roadster is event close.  Even if that pedestal is solid steel, I don't thick that would even be close.
A number of knowledgeable people say that this is legitimate.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #391 on: 12/22/2017 12:42 pm »

Lift capability is not one number.
It depends on the payload mass, and the orbit relative to earth and other bodies, even the launch site and safety regulations.

99% of the difficulty of falcon heavy is in burning for X seconds at Y thrust, giving Z total impulse.

Not in the payload adaptor, or the mechanical strength of the walls of the second stage.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #392 on: 12/22/2017 12:46 pm »
One of the goals of the first flight will be to prove out it's lift capability.

No, it's not.

The main point of the first flight is to test if it works or not, and if it does not work, find out, why/what breaks, so that it can be fixed for the next flight.

The lift capacity can be easily calculated by simulations. And because they already have lots of actual flight data from F9, which has the same engines etc, the simulations can be very accurate for FH.

Offline seawolfe

• South of Seattle and east of Tacoma
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 4484
« Reply #393 on: 12/22/2017 12:47 pm »

Still think they should be sending a Yellow School Bus...  :(

(but I'll submit that a Tesla Roadster would be far less of a challenge!)

Or, why not send a London Double Decker Bus?  International cooperation, eh?  ;)

Offline Machdiamond

• Quebec
    • Luc Van Bavel Design
  • Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #394 on: 12/22/2017 12:49 pm »
Elon tweeted a couple of days ago that the first FH mission will run at 92%.
So, no additional payload mass presumably.

Offline Augustus_

• United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #395 on: 12/22/2017 12:57 pm »
So I'm curious how the Roadster got to the HIF.

Did Elon just drive it in and toss someone the Keys? "Here ya go?"

This is an original limited quantity Roadster. His baby. All the headaches and heartaches this thing caused while getting Tesla started. There is more of a connection to this car than any other car he's owned (i would think). It's not like dropping off your car for a trade in.  ::)

I know it must have seemed really funny talking about the idea of sending your car into space (or blowing it up :o), but when he handed over the key(s) I just can't help wondering if he thought "Shit, I might have taken this joke just a littttttttttle toooooo far, crap! can't back out now"
Tweet incoming ten years from now:
I'm missing that roadster. Will send a BFR chomper to get it back.

I will do it.

And do it he will, amazing the entire planet in the process.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #396 on: 12/22/2017 01:31 pm »
Even so, FH will be massively overpowered for a payload consisting of a Tesla Roadster unless they stuffed it full of depleted uranium.  This is going to be like a repeat of the the F9v1.1 launch of DISCOVR.  It doesn't matter that much if they reduce the thrust on this mission.  There's lots and lots of margin for that.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #397 on: 12/22/2017 01:37 pm »
Don't rehost what may be unauthorized leaks via other sites here. Nothing we can do about links to external sites, but then downloading and attaching pics here. No, that's not a good idea.

Honestly not sure what is authorized and what isn't right now. I've simply taken out the uploaded pics, and left the links as the best solution. Sooner Elon tweets pics the better! ;D

If you're unsure, PM me first.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 01:49 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #398 on: 12/22/2017 02:01 pm »
Even so, FH will be massively overpowered for a payload consisting of a Tesla Roadster unless they stuffed it full of depleted uranium.  This is going to be like a repeat of the the F9v1.1 launch of DISCOVR.  It doesn't matter that much if they reduce the thrust on this mission.  There's lots and lots of margin for that.

That depends on the orbit and margin.

It is probably overpowered to get it into a least energy solar orbit with apoapsis at Mars radius.
However, you can pick a higher energy trajectory to anywhere on Mars orbital track that will suck up all of the performance of the rocket and more.

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 437
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #399 on: 12/22/2017 03:53 pm »
One thing they should do is to put a mannequin with a space suit in the drivers seat.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography