Author Topic: Endeavour @ California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum  (Read 177441 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
So are they going to leave her bay doors open or just until they install the mock payload? I know once standing vertical they will have one door open.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
I believe the payload bay doors will be opened through October 25 at the earliest

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
More details will be available next week (CSC currently has the media under an embargo).

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
I hope when they have the hatch open and they are inside they treat her with respect and are not wearing dirty shoes, etc messing her all up inside.
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline TheFallen

Duuuuuude... C'mon, give the folks at CSC some credit. You saw how Endeavour spent three days on the streets of L.A. and arrived at her new museum unscathed (as opposed to Enterprise's trip down the Hudson River in NY in early 2012--and of course what happened to her during Superstorm Sandy) :)
« Last Edit: 10/03/2014 04:54 pm by TheFallen »

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
Just thinking how obviously they dont wear clean room type clothes anymore (No reason to now) but they do go in with sneakers, etc I am sure so I would hope no matter which of the 3 sites, if anyone ever has to access them through the hatch they all take extra care inside. But I will say, they are some lucky people to be able to go inside :)
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
One things for sure, no other orbiter is opened or messed around with in retirement more than Endeavour. Wouldn't surprise me if she's the most worn out 30 years from now.

Offline TheFallen

Got invited to attend the Go For Payload event at the California Science Center this Thursday! Can't wait to find out what they're installing inside Endeavour's cargo bay :)

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Got invited to attend the Go For Payload event at the California Science Center this Thursday! Can't wait to find out what they're installing inside Endeavour's cargo bay :)

Take tons of pictures!

Offline TheFallen

Take tons of pictures!

Copy that :)

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
Go for Payload! Spacehab installed inside space shuttle Endeavour for display
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100914a-space-shuttle-endeavour-go-for-payload.html

A large piece of space equipment was installed in a space shuttle's cargo bay on Thursday (Oct. 9) for what was very likely the last time in history.

In an event titled "Go for Payload," the California Science Center (CSC) in Los Angeles hoisted a Spacehab module into the open hold of the retired space shuttle Endeavour. The logistics module's addition, together with several other real and replica parts, marked a major milestone towards the center's plans to display the NASA winged orbiter in a vertical, launch-ready configuration.

(Article includes details about Go for Payload, as well as the next two phases: Go for Stack and Go for Launch.)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
Go for Payload! Spacehab installed inside space shuttle Endeavour for display
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100914a-space-shuttle-endeavour-go-for-payload.html

Great article Robert!!  Thanks for the continued updates.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2014 07:15 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Awesome, CSC. Late 2017 can't come soon enough.

Even though it's still a little weird that they keep referring to this being the first time the doors of an orbiter have been opened outside an OPF or Palmdale, even though it's not the first... Oh well. I guess whatever brings in more ticket sales...
« Last Edit: 10/09/2014 07:33 pm by Overflow »

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
Great article Robert!!

Thanks!

Even though it's still a little weird that they keep referring to this being the first time the doors of an orbiter have been opened outside an OPF or Palmdale, even though it's not the first...

At least in my interview (and article), the distinction was made "configured in this way," referencing the GSE that was obtained from NASA Armstrong. KSC used the strongbacks, but not the support stands given Atlantis being mounted the way it is. It's perhaps a minor distinction, but CSC has good reason to be proud of what they've accomplished.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Great article Robert!!

Thanks!

Even though it's still a little weird that they keep referring to this being the first time the doors of an orbiter have been opened outside an OPF or Palmdale, even though it's not the first...

At least in my interview (and article), the distinction was made "configured in this way," referencing the GSE that was obtained from NASA Armstrong. KSC used the strongbacks, but not the support stands given Atlantis being mounted the way it is. It's perhaps a minor distinction, but CSC has good reason to be proud of what they've accomplished.

Eh... I guess.

And I agree with you that they have every right to be proud of what they're doing. If I remember correctly.. weren't they the first to pay the full dues for an orbiter?

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
CSC and Intrepid were required to cover NASA's expenses. NASA covered the cost of Discovery's delivery (per Congressional order) and Atlantis' delivery was covered by the NASA-managed visitor complex fund.

By the way, the article has now been updated with installation photos.

Offline TheFallen

A panorama I took during today's Go For Payload event. More photos coming up shortly

Offline TheFallen

Was gonna crop these on Photoshop, I changed my mind  :)

Offline TheFallen

Looking forward to construction on Endeavour's permanent home starting next year
« Last Edit: 10/09/2014 10:51 pm by TheFallen »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography